Alternative to Ezee hub motor

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all.
I have an Ezee front hub motor and Grin 25 Amp controller which I love.
I have been doing more off road riding lately and am finding the limitations of a front drive motor.
Ideally I would buy an Ezee rear hub motor but you just can’t get them in the UK anymore and having one imported works out rather expensive.
is there another geared hub motor out there that will equal the Ezee in performance and price ?
Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Bafang BPM is nearest equivalent. It has a freewheel threaded boss for gears. If you have 8 speed or more, get the Bafang CST. SWX02C and Q128C are also good. You can get them all from BMSBattery.

I'm pretty sure that you can get all versions of Ezee motors and others from Grin, though they can work out expensive with duty and shipping.

Reactions: wehey

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Bafang BPM is nearest equivalent. It has a freewheel threaded boss for gears. If you have 8 speed or more, get the Bafang CST. SWX02C and Q128C are also good. You can get them all from BMSBattery.

I'm pretty sure that you can get all versions of Ezee motors and others from Grin, though they can work out expensive with duty and shipping.
Thanks for that, I will take a look.
Yep I ordered my controller from Grin and by the time you add shipping and import duty on top it works out way too expensive to justify

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'd chuck the Ezee control system. It's had it's day. A modern KT controller with LCD3 will be loads better and won't cost much if you order it with the motor.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
I'd chuck the Ezee control system. It's had it's day. A modern KT controller with LCD3 will be loads better and won't cost much if you order it with the motor.
You have my interest!
What would a new controller and display be able to do that my current setup wouldn't?
It does everything that I need it to at the moment?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have my interest!
What would a new controller and display be able to do that my current setup wouldn't?
It does everything that I need it to at the moment?
Current control on the pedal assist, which is miles better than your speed control, plus you get a nice LCD to adjust all sorts of settings, including speed and max power.

Note that you cannot use these controllers with an Ezee motor unless you like riding backwards. Only get one if you get a new motor.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Hi all.
I have an Ezee front hub motor and Grin 25 Amp controller which I love.
I have been doing more off road riding lately and am finding the limitations of a front drive motor.
Ideally I would buy an Ezee rear hub motor but you just can’t get them in the UK anymore and having one imported works out rather expensive.
is there another geared hub motor out there that will equal the Ezee in performance and price ?
Thanks
I have an Ezee rear motor, laced in a 26” rim, that’s been hanging in my garage for the last three years waiting for me to do something with it. If you’d be interested in it let me know and I’ll send you some details/photos.

Spinnanz

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2019
I've got a an old eZee motor, and have used that motor on 2 different Brain Power speed controllers/lcds. Both were worked fine and gave it current control on pas and throttle.

I was running it at 13amp, 36v so around 450w.

Reactions: wehey

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
[/QUOTE]
I have an Ezee rear motor, laced in a 26” rim, that’s been hanging in my garage for the last three years waiting for me to do something with it. If you’d be interested in it let me know and I’ll send you some details/photos.
Damn, i have only just seen your message.
Yeah please send me some more info, that would be great :)

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Hi Jhruk. Have just sent you a pm :)

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
I've got a an old eZee motor, and have used that motor on 2 different Brain Power speed controllers/lcds. Both were worked fine and gave it current control on pas and throttle.

I was running it at 13amp, 36v so around 450w.
View attachment 37410
Was this just plug and play ??
And do you have a link :)