Am I nuts or is it possible?

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Unless you're disabled and/or have some kind of profound health issue (severely asthmatic, cancer paitient, leg amputee, etc) 28 miles round trip commute is easily done. I was commuting slightly further than that, all year round, all weathers, well into my 50's, without the benefit of a modern ebike.

There is no doubt that it is an eminently practical proposition. Whether you want to do so is another matter, something only you can answer.

If you want to do it you will. If you don't do it, then you never seriously wanted to in the first place.

Only you know the true answer.

Aardy

Just Joined
Dec 2, 2020
Unless you're disabled and/or have some kind of profound health issue (severely asthmatic, cancer paitient, leg amputee, etc) 28 miles round trip commute is easily done. I was commuting slightly further than that, all year round, all weathers, well into my 50's, without the benefit of a modern ebike.

There is no doubt that it is an eminently practical proposition. Whether you want to do so is another matter, something only you can answer.

If you want to do it you will. If you don't do it, then you never seriously wanted to in the first place.

Only you know the true answer.
Sounds fair enough !

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
A good but not necessarily expensive geared rear hub cadence sensor bike with a good quality large battery would be my choice, with the top assist speed re set to 20 mph, a much safer speed to commute on faster roads mixed in with cars, but still a fast bicycle speed and not so fast as to stand out.

Depending on the route you could approach an average speed of 20mph, dispatching a 20 mile journey in just over an hour.

You will get plenty of exercise but also plenty of relaxed assistance.

This has the potential to be a very practical, comfortable, and relaxing way to commute, with very low maintenance. You need to add marathon plus puncture resistant tyres or similar.

This type of bike is cheap enough to buy two of within your budget, and then you always have a spar bike and all consumable parts will fit either bike as will the batteries.

I commute all year with a round trip of 20 to 25 miles, and having more than one bike makes a real difference.

If you can charge your battery back up to full at work that would be a good idea.

I know one of my suggestions involves increasing the assist speed which renders the bike illegal, and this has to be your choice and it is your risk, however for me this is the difference between a regular journey of that distance being regularly practicably possible or not.

Last edited:

appalachian ape

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2022
Fairmont WV
14 miles is on the far end of a daily commute, I currently do 17 miles in hill country, best i have done so far is twice a week , hoping to do 3 days this week. I don't bike in the city so I cant say how much time it would take, but its doable. work up to more days a week, give yourself plenty of time, and enjoy it!

Related Articles

Advertisers