Am I too sensitive

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was definitely too close, potentially endangering you, though something I've been so used to in London that I no longer flinch or even notice.

I doubt it's intentional, a high proportion of today's drivers have never ridden a bike and fail to appreciate that cyclists can need latitude to move sideways for road surface reasons. They routinely pass other vehicles very close and don't see bikes as anything different.

If they bothered to read the Highway Code they'd learn that what they are doing is both wrong and dangerous. Text and photo from the Highway Code:

Rule 163: Give vulnerable road users at least as much space as you would a car

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I seem to remember reading that the EU limit was one metre on speed limited roads and one and a half on unlimited roads.
Until the Police begin prosecuting these cases we will get nowhere.

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
yep too close, rather typical though of everyday riding experience; best ones are when drivers pull over into the cycle lanes. I don't buy the unintentional, ignorance isn't an excuse when you are driving a vehicle.

John

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The other day a "lady" shouted at me because I was coming the "wrong" way in a cycle lane she wanted to use in her car...

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Today's disaffection with car drivers...

On leaving work, I have to cycle a short way up a single-lane, one way road which has cars parked on both sides - many end-on to kerb. This much is legal. Due to the narrowness, the curve, and the likelihood of people reversing out of their spaces without looking, I tend to go down the middle of the lane.

This evening, a flaming car was driving down the middle of the road head-on towards me. Luckily, just enough space to the left for me to get by.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Today's disaffection with car drivers...

On leaving work, I have to cycle a short way up a single-lane, one way road which has cars parked on both sides - many end-on to kerb. This much is legal. Due to the narrowness, the curve, and the likelihood of people reversing out of their spaces without looking, I tend to go down the middle of the lane.

This evening, a flaming car was driving down the middle of the road head-on towards me. Luckily, just enough space to the left for me to get by.
But if the car was driving towards you, were you riding against the one way?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No - I was riding perfectly legally the RIGHT way. :)
Thanks. The reason I checked is that it's so rare for a car driver to drive the wrong way on a one way street, but quite common to see a cyclist doing that.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Thanks. The reason I checked is that it's so rare for a car driver to drive the wrong way on a one way street, but quite common to see a cyclist doing that.
Near me, in Kincardine. There's a road which is one way. It's perfectly legal to cycle against the cars. There's a sign up to that effect. However, it's strange to cycle against the one way system but it's legal. Mind you, the first time I came to it, I was emm unsure about it. :)

It's here. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0751247,-3.724711,3a,37.5y,147.97h,82.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snzvm5hH2NA1nM3s0PUtqRQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Near me, in Kincardine. There's a road which is one way. It's perfectly legal to cycle against the cars. There's a sign up to that effect. However, it's strange to cycle against the one way system but it's legal. Mind you, the first time I came to it, I was emm unsure about it. :)

It's here. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0751247,-3.724711,3a,37.5y,147.97h,82.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snzvm5hH2NA1nM3s0PUtqRQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
Yes, we've got some of those in London Jim. But we've also got some cyclists who think all roads are contraflow!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I try, hard, to obey whatever the law is regarding transport! Largely as a matter of self-preservation and (hopefully) common decency.

Pretty darned sure I regularly fail, though. :-(

Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have noticed a definate improvement in cycle awareness from drivers in general, but, on my way home the road is wide enough for cars to pass me with plenty of room and still not encroach on the centre white line which they usually do except on the left hand bend. It would seem that drivers find it difficult to navigate a left bend whilst keeping a set distance from me and or the kerb and invariably, and I am sure not deliberately, cut the corner snd give me the squeeze.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I try, hard, to obey whatever the law is regarding transport! Largely as a matter of self-preservation and (hopefully) common decency.

Pretty darned sure I regularly fail, though. :-(
We're very lucky really, it could be far worse.

In China the government have changed their minds a few times on which side of the road people should drive. Officially it's on the right now.

As a result, outside of cities with clear lane markings on main roads, it's not unusual for people to drive down the middle of the road in minor urban centres and pass either side. The authorities are increasingly putting physical barriers in the centre of roads, but their drivers still tend to go wherever they see enough space.

Head ons are not unusual, as in this video.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Even if you have a legal right of way many drivers will see you as just another rule breaking cyclist who doesn't pay road tax and should be squished on sight.
;)