Amazing 8FUN Suzhou Bafang in deep water

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Hi all,

I just want to share my experience with you how amazed I'm with my electric bike (its hub motor actually). I live in Richmond and as you all know there is a Thames here that has high tide almost everyday. yesterday's tide was the highest i've ever seen in my life here. I went on my bike and on my return trip back home I noticed that the tide is so high that the pathway along the river is totally flooded. By no having a choice I had to go through that water. It the beginning it was only about 4 inches deep, BUT at the end it was already about half a metre deep. I had no option other than go ahead. Having a throttle I was keeping my foot on the top tube of my Oxygen Emate.

The motor went totally under water and believe me or not it did not cut. It got me out of water and it was struggling a lot because in some parts water was over half meter (even the battery went half under water) and the water resistance was huge for the small 250W bafang but did it.

I went today for a ride and it still works perfect, no issues whatsoever. i already have this bike for 1.5year and it does perfect job for me but after last ride I was so amazed. Now i can clearly call the 8FUN motor the TOYOTA of electric hub motors.

BTW We all know that the water and electrics and not getting on well with each other, don't we.

I attached my picture after I managed to get to some sorts of bay where i could get out.

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good Andy, an aquatic e-bike! They do seal the cable input with silicone rubber but the effectiveness of that does vary a bit and some leak, so you must have a lucky one.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi all,

I just want to share my experience with you how amazed I'm with my electric bike (its hub motor actually). I live in Richmond and as you all know there is a Thames here that has high tide almost everyday. yesterday's tide was the highest i've ever seen in my life here. I went on my bike and on my return trip back home I noticed that the tide is so high that the pathway along the river is totally flooded. By no having a choice I had to go through that water. It the beginning it was only about 4 inches deep, BUT at the end it was already about half a metre deep. I had no option other than go ahead. Having a throttle I was keeping my foot on the top tube of my Oxygen Emate.

The motor went totally under water and believe me or not it did not cut. It got me out of water and it was struggling a lot because in some parts water was over half meter (even the battery went half under water) and the water resistance was huge for the small 250W bafang but did it.

I went today for a ride and it still works perfect, no issues whatsoever. i already have this bike for 1.5year and it does perfect job for me but after last ride I was so amazed. Now i can clearly call the 8FUN motor the TOYOTA of electric hub motors.

BTW We all know that the water and electrics and not getting on well with each other, don't we.

I attached my picture after I managed to get to some sorts of bay where i could get out.
That bike looks a lot like my Powertrek Dynamo:)

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Is it me or do all the Oxygen bikes look like Wispers ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That bike looks a lot like my Powertrek Dynamo:)
Quite a few e-bikes are using curved tube frames which have some advantages. The conventional straight tube diamond frame was fine for many years when made with lightweight steel tube, but the change to alloy has brought discomfort issues, often worse on e-bikes due to weight and speeds.

Steel is more supple and flexible, the alloys in bike frames rigid and unyielding, so many have complained of the discomfort caused by directly transmitted road shocks on straight tube alloy bikes like some eZee models and the standard Pro Connect.

Introducing curvature in frame members allows some "give" by way of flex, absorbing some of the transmitted shocks. The "S" bend in the downtube and other curves of some BikeTec Flyer frames serves the same purpose.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Tim

As well as looking like that bike I`ve often thought how close mine looks to a Wisper but obviously someone clever has copied a success story.

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Quite a few e-bikes are using curved tube frames which have some advantages. The conventional straight tube diamond frame was fine for many years when made with lightweight steel tube, but the change to alloy has brought discomfort issues, often worse on e-bikes due to weight and speeds.

Steel is more supple and flexible, the alloys in bike frames rigid and unyielding, so many have complained of the discomfort caused by directly transmitted road shocks on straight tube alloy bikes like some eZee models and the standard Pro Connect.

Introducing curvature in frame members allows some "give" by way of flex, absorbing some of the transmitted shocks. The "S" bend in the downtube and other curves of some BikeTec Flyer frames serves the same purpose.
Tim

As well as looking like that bike I`ve often thought how close mine looks to a Wisper but obviously someone clever has copied a success story.
Hi,

Yes Flecc you are right. The curvy tubes have some advantages to the straight tubing. firstly it looks hell a lot better and secondly you already explained the issue.

I have to admit that the my Oxygen is quite similar to Wisper 905 but I already own the bike for nearly 2 years and i have to say how well it performs for me. I haven't experienced a single problem on my bike other than the bottom bracket which I killed in my own favour. The bike has been running in the perfect order and also the battery still performs very well and my last aqua trip just proved to me that these bikes last.

The truth is that Oxygen Bicycles started with ready bulit bikes available in China as most of other brands did including Wispers. Then most of this brands learns of their mistake and starts to modify the bikes in order to make them even better and that is a simple evolution in the ebike industry.
I know there will be a new Oxygens coming up this year with many improvements to its original design but the time will show:cool:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We now have an Oxygen E-Mate available for test ride in our new Richmond shop - there's someone out on it right now.

It's carried me to and from home a couple of times this week. Got to get to know your product, haven't you?

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Tongxins are waterproof as long as you seal the cable end with silicone. It happened to me one January two years ago. Just got the electrics wired up and was desperate to try it out. I went for a 20mile circuit around my home town which takes me along some low lying ground. I should have remembered a junction which always gets flooded, but i didn't. Too late to turn back i ploughed through pedalling at first. About 300 yards was flooded and the pedals started to disappear under the water....yikes! lift my feet onto the downtube and open the throttle, motor keeps going even under water.....hahaha....brilliant. The motor is still running on my wifes bike.