Amazon launch their first UK e-cargo micromobility hub

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wonder what vehicle category this four wheeled vehicle is. I very much doubt it's powered by a mere 250W motor. Looks capable of 500kg? Can't find any specs. P*ss breaks for Amazon delivery workers will become less private, unless they crouch in the back.

Looks like the paint job isn't finished. It's just Primer.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looks like the paint job isn't finished. It's just Primer.
That primer look seems very much in at the moment, I've seen many restaurant and shop interiors daubed with it. Neutral, devoid of identity... supposed to make products/logos surrounded with it pop, without adding colour based subtexts. Or something.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That primer look seems very much in at the moment, I've seen many restaurant and shop interiors daubed with it. Neutral, devoid of identity... supposed to make products/logos surrounded with it pop, without adding colour based subtexts. Or something.
I've been seeing grey primer-ish cars for years. But, yes, more recently almost seems to be the top choice for new cars. Can't for the life of me understand why anyone would choose such shades.

It is not that distinguished grey some very much older cars used.

Have been walking in town, and other areas with traffic recently. And, due to the strong sun, have been wearing my sunglasses. That sort of dead grey, combined with no daylight driving lights, makes them actually difficult to see. Not as seeing if you stare straight at them. But that noticing them in your non-central vision, against grey roads, and with them on the shaded side of the road, means they are too easy to miss.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've been seeing grey primer-ish cars for years. But, yes, more recently almost seems to be the top choice for new cars. Can't for the life of me understand why anyone would choose such shades.

It is not that distinguished grey some very much older cars used.

Have been walking in town, and other areas with traffic recently. And, due to the strong sun, have been wearing my sunglasses. That sort of dead grey, combined with no daylight driving lights, makes them actually difficult to see. Not as seeing if you stare straight at them. But that noticing them in your non-central vision, against grey roads, and with them on the shaded side of the road, means they are too easy to miss.
Great. That's what we need - tarmac coloured cars! Car camouflage must end! Silver cars crash least.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of these on the road as EV's become more accepted to the great unwashed.
The market will diversify, and more and more niche companies wil offer more and more products aimed at different sections of the community.
But we need to sort out more charging points as part of our general infrastructure.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I wonder what vehicle category this four wheeled vehicle is.
Milkless milk float.
Can't see if it has a number plate from that photo.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I very much doubt it's powered by a mere 250W motor.
It will definitely be 250 watt rated. There have been a number of 250 watt cargo quad bikes, generally rated for 5 cwt cargo (250 kilos), plenty for the half empty boxes of most Amazon deliveries,

Being a quad it may be using the Lynch rear axle motor which can produce over 4 kilowatts at near stall speeds, maximum speed in most installations 8 mph. OK for crawling around the Central London Low Emission Zone among the 250 watt pedicabs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder what vehicle category this four wheeled vehicle is.
Milkless milk float.
It's not a motor vehicle so doesn't have to be registered or plated.

In law it is a "bicycle with four or more wheels", exempted from being a motor vehicle by exemption (h) in the type approval legislation.

In other words, it is a pedelec just like your e-bikes, conforming to the EAPC usage law.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Great. That's what we need - tarmac coloured cars! Car camouflage must end! Silver cars crash least.

One of the two cars I regularly drive is white, the other red.

I'm not entirely convinced by their red car arguments. I suspect that at night, red is much less obvious than in daylight. We'd need time of day/daylight information to see if that holds any water.

Also, some reds are massively more obvious than others. Even with polarised sunglasses on, recent red metallic ones, the ones I think of as being like Spangles, leap out at me. Old, dull/dark reds are not nearly so obvious. (My own red car is somewhere in the middle.)

Also, DRLs are fitted and working on both cars.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One of the two cars I regularly drive is white, the other red.

I'm not entirely convinced by their red car arguments. I suspect that at night, red is much less obvious than in daylight. We'd need time of day/daylight information to see if that holds any water.

Also, some reds are massively more obvious than others. Even with polarised sunglasses on, recent red metallic ones, the ones I think of as being like Spangles, leap out at me. Old, dull/dark reds are not nearly so obvious. (My own red car is somewhere in the middle.)

Also, DRLs are fitted and working on both cars.
Google's new augmented "Glasshole" glasses couldn't have arrived at a better time! We'll soon be able to buy ads to highlight individual ad paying ebikers, e-scooterists, mobility scooterists, car and van drivers... with little markers indicating life expectancy, state of health, insurance cover, number and age of dependants, overall value to the economy etc. so we can make informed decisions about who to run over. It's a exciting time to be alive.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Milkless milk float.
That's actually the only photo I could find. The others are of their new bespoke Rivian electric vans - easy to p*ss into bottles while driving those, I should imagine.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Google's new augmented "Glasshole" glasses couldn't have arrived at a better time! We'll soon be able to buy ads to highlight individual ad paying ebikers, e-scooterists, mobility scooterists, car and van drivers... with little markers indicating life expectancy, state of health, insurance cover, number and age of dependants, overall value to the economy etc. so we can make informed decisions about who to run over. It's a exciting time to be alive.
I think you made a typo there. Isn't that the Asshole GL?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Those quad bike EV's are for town/city usage, one would think mainly for non hilly routes. As flecc says there not going to carry much weight as most boxes are over sized and I expect each parcel will be weight limited for the load.
If they have 100kg of load in the back the rider will for sure notice it.

I'm not an Amazon user but guess it has to be a good thing using these small EV's where there is a local hub.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think you made a typo there. Isn't that the Asshole GL?
I was going to ask you about a strange and massive fungus I found growing out of a dead tree trunk in my garden the other week, thought it could have been a Dryad's Saddle... but it didn't smell like melon. I forgot to take photos to ask, then forgot to ask, then it died. Didn't want to risk frying it up for breakfast, cos that could have been ver ver dangerous...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I was going to ask you about a strange and massive fungus I found growing out of a dead tree trunk in my garden the other week, thought it could have been a Dryad's Saddle... but it didn't smell like melon. I forgot to take photos to ask, then forgot to ask, then it died. Didn't want to risk frying it up for breakfast, cos that could have been ver ver dangerous...
A complete stab in the dark based on next to nothing: Meripilus giganteus.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
  • :D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I should have eaten it! I now regret a gigantic mass of fried mushrooms gone to waste! Looked a lot like the first photo, the biggest cap was about 50cm wide. Thank you, I'll watch out for it next year...
I'd always be extremely careful. Although the number of truly dangerous ones you find in the UK is small, they can be truly nasty. And sometimes a variety which is fine in one place, is liable to cause at least an upset somewhere else. Even just because it is growing on a different substrate.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd always be extremely careful. Although the number of truly dangerous ones you find in the UK is small, they can be truly nasty. And sometimes a variety which is fine in one place, is liable to cause at least an upset somewhere else. Even just because it is growing on a different substrate.
Mushroom forgaing certainly seems a dicey business - have you ever poisoned yourself? Don't leave out any gory details... I do wish I knew more about edible wild mushrooms. The tiny book "Food For Free" has utterly useless line drawings and coloured sketches, which make it impossible to identify pretty much any wild edible, apart from nettles.

• Agree