Another bee in my bonnet

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I've now twice had large buzzing insects get stuck inside my helmet. They obviously fly in through the front vents and are then too stupid to get out. Maybe they get pinned there by the speed of my progress on the Giant Suede:eek: Anyway it makes for a worrying few seconds before you can get the helmet off, particularly if you don't have the protection of hair!

Maybe helmets should come with a suitable mesh over the front vents. I suppose you are all going to tell me that yours did and I shouldn't have bought such cheap rubbish.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Helmet cover

Mine does and you shouldn't have bought such cheap rubbish!

Metropolitan with winter cover!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This time of the year bumble bees of the 18 odd species are looking for suitable nest holes, they often use old mouse holes, so your vents might appear inviting. :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yet another hazard identified with wearing a helmet. Unbeelievable..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe helmets should come with a suitable mesh over the front vents.
I've never heard of mesh on the vents, but how about that old fashioned thing that women have used to keep their hair in place. A hair net stretched over the helmet would be almost invisible but might protect against vent entry.

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
My winter helmet is an old fashioned Bell with smallish holes in the front and the back.

With a bald head in Winter I get frozen with a normal helmet, so keep to the Bell. I also selotape up the front holes until the weather improves (latish April), then gradually remove them and eventually go the summer helmet in May

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I've never heard of mesh on the vents, but how about that old fashioned thing that women have used to keep their hair in place. A hair net stretched over the helmet would be almost invisible but might protect against vent entry.
Shame on you flecc. You are just trying to set me up! I do exchange an odd bit of friendly ribbing about the ebike with the serious riders I encounter. I'd rather not try to imagine their comments if I was wearing an Ena Sharples type hairnet over my helmet :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Shame on you flecc. You are just trying to set me up! I do exchange an odd bit of friendly ribbing about the ebike with the serious riders I encounter. I'd rather not try to imagine their comments if I was wearing an Ena Sharples type hairnet over my helmet :eek:
Not at all Bob. :D

Don't forget our macho soldiers wear more obvious ones over their helmets so they can stuff in camouflage twigs etc.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Just to round it off - I emailed Giro, who are the makers of my helmet. They say that their Indicator and Transfer models are fitted with what they call 'bug-nets'. I hope that isn't what flecc was suggesting :D No, I found a Transfer on Amazon and it seems to have a mesh under the front vents. Can't see any mesh on the Indicator - maybe that has a hairnet!

Last edited: