Another one bites the dust! :o(

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
Hello all,

The third throttle on my Powacycle Windsor bit the dust this morning .... I hadn't even gotten around to taking the cellophane off of it. It's only survived a couple of hundred miles. I wasn't even using it at the time - I had just cycled up one of the steepest hills on my morning commute and stopped at the junction at the top, when I took my hands off the brakes to pull away, the motor started even though I hadn't even pressed on the pedals or turned the throttle. This is exactly the same as the second throttle that failed -the motor runs non-stop, but when you pedal, the motor cuts out. Switch the throttle off on the bars and the pedal sensor works fine.

Is there anything serviceable inside it - do you think I might be able to fix it - or is it a sealed unit? Alternatively, I'm wondering how hard it would be to fit a different throttle on it (maybe a thumb throttle)? Presumably I could just change the throttle that's on there for a normal handgrip.

I don't even use the throttle that often - does anyone have any idea why I could be going through them so quickly? Is it a weak design - maybe I could be exerting too much force on the bars when I'm going uphill or something?

If it comes to it, I might just live without it completely - but I do miss it for taxi-ing around tight corners on some cycle routes and for the occasional racing start off the mark combined with all the pedal power I can muster at the traffic lights. I just hate having to lose the bike for a few days everytime the LBS fits a new one.

Any suggestions please would be gratefully received!

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
The throttles all work in the same way as far as I know. Worse case you might have to swap the connections around a little. It seems quite strange that you have had so many failures. Could be a batch problem if they all came from the same source and same model but if different source there could be something amiss with your controller.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Try sending a PM to member "20" terror". He is a Powacycle technician and may be able to help you. His email access is blocked but here is the link to write a PM to him:

20" terror PM link

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
blown hall sensor

The only thing I can think that would blow the throttle that quick would be too high a voltage, which would indicate a controller fault. The supply voltage to the throttle should be no more than 5 volts. If this is getting shorted to the battery indicator somewhere then that would cause it to blow.

I replaced the hall sensor on mine when I accidentally applied too much voltage.

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
Thanks - would there be any other symptoms for a controller fault? And how easy would it be for my LBS to check? Although they have a mechanic there that they say is knowledgable about Powacycles, I get the feeling that it's only to replace bits of it ....

There's another shop nearish to me (the Electric Transport Shop at Sammy Miller's), it's too far to ride so would be a lot more difficult to get the bike to. I get the feeling that the man there is a bit more knowledgable though!

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Thanks - would there be any other symptoms for a controller fault? And how easy would it be for my LBS to check? Although they have a mechanic there that they say is knowledgable about Powacycles, I get the feeling that it's only to replace bits of it ....
I don't think there would necessarily be other symptoms. The easiest way to check would be to swap the controller.

One other possibility is the wiring from the controller to the throttle. I don't know the bike and this may have been changed when the throttle was changed.

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
Ah, I think the wiring was changed too - but possibly not the whole thing? I can't really check now it's dark, but I'm sure I remember seeing part of the wiring had been taped up after the throttle was changed. Maybe they didn't do a very good job of it?

My only concern with just changing the controller without any tests being done on it is that I'll have to pay for it and a new throttle AND the labour to swap them but I won't find out if it's worked unless the throttle doesn't go wrong after a few months - so I could pay a small fortune and still have a duff throttle in a couple of months time!

I just don't know if I need a throttle that badly!

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
Interesting gremlin :)

I had quite a few issues with my Powacycle, fried wires on first plug in, loose connections (bullet connectors weren't even connected in their plastic sleeves) causing the current to jump across the terminal and scorch marks to prove it lol

Having said that, I have repaired, improved soldered joins etc and the little 180w motor is going well.

Check all wires for breaks in the flex and other flaws, hopefully it's just something simple and you get it fully operational again.

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
There should be only 5 volts on the throttle cable. this voltage is supplied by the controller. There should be 3 cables, 0V, 5Vdc and a signal that goes for the throttle back into controller.

The 0V and 5V will likely be Black and Red respectively. If you can get hold of a multimeter, just try checking the voltage on the pairs suggested with it set to DC voltage. Disconnect the throttle and measure the signal on the cable coming from the controller.

Does this bike use a little junction box at the handlebars where all the cables are connected into or do each of the cables go directly back to the controller?

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
Thanks - there's no junction box and all the cables go straight back to the controller. The throttle wire has been joined and taped up about a third of the way along from the throttle. Sorry it's taken so long for me to check - I don't have any lighting in the garden!