Another test ride on the giant twist express

Oiseaux

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2011
La roche Posay, Vienne, France
As I was in Poitiers yesterday and coming past the electric bike shop I couldn't resist having another ride. It was a different bike but with same motor, battery etc, and although still very quiet it seemed to have more drag resistance in non assist mode than the one I tried a few days ago. I think I have read somewhere on this forum that hub motors are a bit stiff to begin with and then loosen up, is that correct?

As I had to wait quite a while to get served I had the chance chance to peer at the small print and on the side of the motor it said made by Sanyo under licence from Rabbit Tool Co USA manufacturers of exbike, folding bicycle and electric wheel systems with optional solar power

I wondered if anyone knew about this company.

Oiseaux

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Sanyo motor history is that it was indeed an American design, marketed by the Birkestrand Corporation as the "Motorised Wheel", and it was a regenerating design. It was not very successful in the US market, changed hands and was then licenced to Sanyo for use in their bikes.

When Giant stopped using the Panasonic system and looked around for a motor to use, they adopted the Sanyo one and used it without regeneration on the Suede e-bike, budget at £600. Battery and charger problems made them move upmarket with a redesign, using the same motor but complete with regeneration on their Twist 1 and Twist 2 bikes, doubling the prices. These were not successful due to drag and poor performance.

Finally they've removed the regeneration and added a freewheel, designating the latest models Twist Express RS1 and RS2, and Twist Freedom. These perform better and are well made bikes.

Internally geared hub motors can vary when new but that should free up with use.

This historic web page gives some Rabbit Tool Company details and you'll see a book by O J Birkestrand illustrated there and details of the Sanyo agreement.

How this will last now I don't know, since Sanyo are now wholly owned by Panasonic who have their own newly developed regenerating hub motor undergoing mass trials in Japan.

Last edited: