Another 'which conversion' thread...

CB68

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2018
UK
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice.

Both me and my wife are disabled; I had a stroke about 18 months ago and my wife has ME, and we have limited, to no ability, to pedal.

We've been looking at e-bikes, but pre-built bikes seem to be limited in the EU to about 4mph on throttle only? Basically, we're looking at getting bikes to be able to take our 4 year old son to school and, once he's able, to take him cycling on trails (we're not too far from the Tissington Trail in Derbyshire). As such, the 4mph limit is woefully inadequate.

I've been told that this limit isn't applicable on conversions and I have a Carrera Kraken from my pre-stroke days, but there are just so many options at so many prices out there that I don't know where to start?

Weight isn't too much of a concern because I'm not going to be pedalling anyway, and I've seen some rear hub conversions offering a 1000w system that is switchable to a legal 250w when on the road. As I said, our aim is to be able to take our son to school, with him in a bike seat, so I presume a 36v or 48v system would be advisable?

I would like to keep the total price to roughly £500-£600, if at all possible, but I'm also going to have to find someone to put all this together, as the stroke affected sensation and strength in my right-hand-side, making it difficult to use any tools.

So, the question would be: can you suggest a conversion kit and battery, and do you know anyone who could put it all together for a reasonable price?

Also, pretty much the same for my wife, although she doesn't yet have a bike to convert; are there some bikes that are easier to convert than others? What should I look out for when buying a bike to convert?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Two kits for 500/600 quid isn't really feasible, minimum is 800 - 1200 for two kits with a battery. Geared hub drive is what you ideally require as the 1000w switchable kits are generally quite poor and gutless at low speed and hill climbing.
For you requirements with mainly throttle use your need is for a strong torque hub motor with a good celled battery.

For UK supplied hub kits the above Woosh 48v one is about as good as it gets for a legal marked 250w kit.
If not bothered about the legality the 36v 350w BPM is very good.
Both are high torque kits with low rpm motors suited for your needs.

Last edited:

CB68

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2018
UK
Two kits for 500/600 quid isn't really feasible, minimum is 800 - 1200 for two kits with a battery. Geared hub drive is what you ideally require as the 1000w switchable kits are generally quite poor and gutless at low speed and hill climbing.
For you requirements with mainly throttle use your need is for a strong torque hub motor with a good celled battery.

For UK supplied hub kits the above Woosh 48v one is about as good as it gets for a legal marked 250w kit.
If not bothered about the legality the 36v 350w BPM is very good.
Hi, it would be £500-£600 per conversion, plus the cost of the second bike for my wife. I don't expect them to be that cheap! ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Alternatively a couple of good used bikes though not mtb style, both hub drive.. Both have tyres suitable for light trails/ old railway paths.

Big bear in black is very nice lots of power /torque.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: CB68

neopot3864

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Hampshire
Have you seen the A to B review for the Cytronex C1 kit, they reckon this is by far the best power assistance kit on the market, and perhaps the best electric bike solution full stop. They even predict we will be looking back nostalgically at the heavy German electric bikes of today, now we have lightweight and precisely tailored travel solutions... Worth having a look I think!

(links removed by admin)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

Have you seen the A to B review for the Cytronex C1 kit, they reckon this is by far the best power assistance kit on the market, and perhaps the best electric bike solution full stop. They even predict we will be looking back nostalgically at the heavy German electric bikes of today, now we have lightweight and precisely tailored travel solutions... Worth having a look I think!

Check out the A to B review - http://www.atob.org.uk/product/a-to-b-118-digital-edition/

Here's a link to their site - https://www.cytronex.com/
Are you suggesting that we should pay 99p to read a magazine review that's worth about as much as a statement of fact as Vladimir Putin's review of the Salisbury poisoning?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I’ve read the review as I was considering this instead of the YTW06 kit I eventually fitted. Detailed and very positive review but the company is very secretive with the motor and battery specs / details. It looks very well engineered with some interesting sensor solutions. I didn’t get to test it in the end because the tiny battery capacity didn’t really work for me. I’d certainly consider it if my max distance requirement was under 20 miles and price was not an issue.