Anti-slip tape

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Just wondered whether anyone has tried using an anti-slip tape like the Rhino one to improve traction on a friction drive? I'm not particularly bothered by increased wear of the tyre because of relatively low mileage. Peter

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How easy is your drive wheel to replace? If easy and not too expensive, I'd be tempted to try covering it with a thin layer of superglue and baking soda (thanks @jimriley for pointing out the superglue + baking soda hack), or superglue + baking soda + graphite to form a tougher material. You can build it up as needed, increasing the circumference of the drive wheel, and it can also be sanded down. Rather than make a uniform layer all around, you might even get away with making thin lines along all around, forming a kindof tread? If superglue doesn't dissolve your drive wheel, may be worth a go. If the drive wheel is very flexible, it might not be worth the effort, because the new material will simply fall off in use. Or you could increase the circumference of your tyre, by increasing pressure or by fitting bigger tyres?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No reason not to try using anti slip tape if one can get a good adhesion the the drive surface.
3.5 years in now with my friction drive and not had the need to worry about extra traction or lack of it , but come the day if it arives I have a roll of anti slip spare to try as a replacement.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Perhaps removing the adhesive and replacing with some sort of much stronger glue, would keep the tape on more securely? The glue on tapes is usually easily dissolved and removed using oil, elbow grease, and paper towels. Then remove the oil with alcohol...

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The stuff I have is very strong adhesive wise and is the one I used on the modified CF base.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If there is variation of left/right pressure when used on the drive wheel and the tape thins and/or rolls off, it'd be time to explore use of stronger adhesives.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Thank you for those ideas - plenty to occupy dark winter evenings before leisure cycling becomes enticing again. (For town cycling I can still manage without motor assistance:D)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A winter studded rear tyre should do the job? But you'd forever be buying new drive wheels, and quite possibly new studs?