eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Noooooooo...Mind you it looks very comfy:D

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Doesn't look very 'Dutch' to me!
The wheel base is quite short and I am not too sure it has the sit bolt upright stance that the Dutch like to use.
Also, if it is Dutch, why has it got 24 gears?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also, if it is Dutch, why has it got 24 gears?
Yes, they are a top quality Dutch manufacturer, and the gears are no doubt because it's an export one The Dutch learned their lesson when they sent across the original Sparta Ion e-bike, single speed and very low torque motor. It was laughed off the scene, so they returned with it fitted with a derailleur, naming it the Sparta Ion M-gear (M for Dutch mountain) and since then have also increased the motor torque.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
To me, a Dutch bicycle has a unique look to it. Obviously they make other styles, so now we need to differentiate between 'Dutch Style' and 'Dutch Made'

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True Mike, but all the main Dutch brands are now contained within two major international groups, Accell and the smaller but still big Pon Holdings. So their products are becoming more export oriented and the traditional Dutch very upright sit-up-and-beg bike may be seen much less.

HD462

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Teesside, UK
I'd agree, it may be Dutch made, but looks more like the style of a so called 'hybrid' bike. I like the dashboard on it, appeals to my gadgety side, shame it reads in km/h though.

jlr

Just Joined
Aug 7, 2011
True Mike, but all the main Dutch brands are now contained within two major international groups, Accell and the smaller but still big Pon Holdings. So their products are becoming more export oriented and the traditional Dutch very upright sit-up-and-beg bike may be seen much less.
The very upright style bikes are called city bikes (stadfietsen) and will definitely be seen in massive massive numbers in Holland for many years to come, probably for as long as there are still Dutch people around! The city bikes are designed for short journeys at limited speed, probably with luggage/shopping, within the city and require the absolute minimal amount of maintenance. Typically they have 1 or 3 gears, roller brakes and always have a fully enclosed chain and a minimum of 2 locks!

This style of bike is still designed for the Dutch market but is aimed more at leisure cyclists or people commuting slightly longer distances, probably between cities, at higher speeds than a city bike and would fall under the 'hybrid' category in Holland. The handlebars are not swept back as far as a city bike for a slightly more sporty riding position and of course you have the bigger range of gears. I would guess the city bikes in the flat parts of the Netherlands would outnumber the hybrid bikes by a factor of tens of thousands to 1!

If you are looking at a Dutch bike to use elsewhere, bear in mind that the Dutch value 'sturdiness' in a bike above all else so weight and speed is not normally a concern. Remember that most of the population do not have to deal with hills of any kind (except the odd canal bridge!). This probably isn't such a big concern with an electric bike as you don't need to drag all the weight up hills under your own power. Gazelle is one of the 'A' brands in Holland and are quite expensive to buy.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The very upright style bikes are called city bikes (stadfietsen) and will definitely be seen in massive massive numbers in Holland for many years to come, probably for as long as there are still Dutch people around!
Fully agree jlr, but these days a large part of the production goes for export and is designed for those markets, the true Dutch bikes mostly staying at home. As you say, they make so much sense in their circumstances, though not much fun when facing strong headwinds out on the poulders if they venture out of town.