Any experience with Gazelle Orange Innergy, Villager E-Ride or Trek E500?

CDinFrance

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2008
These three bikes are on my short list, but I have had a hard time finding any real reviews.

The Villager and Trek are identical bikes, with BionX and a battery on the rear carrier. The Gazelle is a front hub model.

About the only Gazelle reviews I have found have been mostly negative, with a lot of complaints about the electronics and battery indicator. Just wondering if anyone has heard whether they have fixed these problems, as the bike design itself looks solid.

Gazelle Orange Innergy (dames / 2008) reviews -fiets KIESKEURIG

(In Dutch - use Google translate)

Thanks,

Craig

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Innergy is relatively new Craig, hence the lack of reviews, but although not certain, it doesn't look as though it would be much of a hill climber judging by the relatively small hub motor. Coming from such a flat country this wouldn't be surprising, their Sparta and Koga e-bikes are very poor climbers. For those who need steep climb ability Gazelle also make a Panasonic equipped Gazelle Easy Glider model.

There are many past reviews on the BionX motor unit which is generally highly regarded, though the 350 watt Canadian version is rather more powerful than the 250 watt UK/EU version. One thing to bear in mind with BionX though is the high cost of batteries. I don't know the current cost of the NiMh battery but good NiMh cells are getting increasingly rare. The more up to date BionX lithium battery is excellent but was a scary £550 last time I looked and the exchange rate has worsened a lot since then. Velovision magazine issue 26 June 2007 had a review of the Joey Move bike with the 250 watt BionX motor unit fitted.

CDinFrance

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks,

I have a reasonable commute of about 6 miles each way over rolling terrain with no really steep hills. I had a Yamaha Easy Super for 7 years, so am pretty familiar what to expect with a crank motor. I may even go back to one after testing the others.

I am actually looking for a sit up / step through geometry. The Koga is another option, but the battery placement is a bit of an issue.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know if the Kalkhoff bikes are in France yet, but the new season includes a front hub motor Jubilee model as well as their Panasonic crank motor models. Once again though the battery position might be a problem, these carrier batteries increasingly being used now.