Any experience with the easi-fit kit?

neilhapgood

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
Hi Folks,

just wondering if anyone has any experience with this kit:

they seem fairly genuine and have £100 off atm but obviously no detail on who makes their kit,

any opinions appreciated!

Thanks

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Tiny 5.8AH battery. They "optimistically"say will last approximately 60km.
I suppose given that they are only £140 to buy you could carry a spare.

Last edited:

eFred

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Seems to be made by a company called lvbu. Here's the link for the kit they're selling.

http://www.lvbu.tech/EN/Product_by

Not sure about the sales pitch, if a standard conversion kit is too complicated for them, what's their technical support going to be like?

Would like to know how well the gyroscope bit works on an ebike though.

Gfunk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 10, 2020
Morning All,
I am new to the site and came across this post and thought would interject a little.
I am one of those people who bought the kit and am due to receive it today at some point.
Have been looking for a kit for some years at a reasonable price which is neat and has no nasty wires for the controller in a bag just hanging off the frame. This kit from LVBU came on the market and basically answered all my questions.
For a kit of a similar spec you are looking at spending at least £700 quid easily.
I paid £395 for the kit which i think is a real bargain considering what you get neat bottle style battery and aero type rim. I admit the battery is a little on the small side but for my commute of 13 miles each way is more than adequate.
Wireless computer / app on the phone to control the 5 different settings, overspeed alarm, antitheft etc and important for me no unsightly controller with wires hanging off the frame and only 1 wire to connect the motor. Also comes with a wired or bluetooth throttle which is handy for offroad i guess and the wheel comes complete with disc and tyre ready to fit.I will fit my own tyre as i like things to match but otherwise straight on no hassle. Haven't seen any other kit with overrun alarm or antitheft,complete wheel and tyre package even at higher price points. The company is run by a husband and wife and are very approachable and nice to deal with. The gent Clive before delivery was shipped to me he kindly went through the kit as to what i can expect but shouldn't be too hard.
I think when they mention on the site that other kits with multiple wires were hard to understand or install believe they were talking from personal experience as to when they were looking for a kit themselves not being technically minded etc rather than from a company point of view.
One of you guys mention about the customer service if something should go wrong personally i think if something would need replacement they wouldn't hesitate to resolve the matter for you.
Apologies for the long post but thought would give a little insight and will keep you posted once i have installed and start using the kit for myself.
Kind regards
Gfunk

Last edited:

E-bullient

Sep 16, 2020
Morning All,
I am new to the site and came across this post and thought would interject a little.
I am one of those people who bought the kit and am due to receive it today at some point.
Have been looking for a kit for some years at a reasonable price which is neat and has no nasty wires for the controller in a bag just hanging off the frame. This kit from LVBU came on the market and basically answered all my questions.
For a kit of a similar spec you are looking at spending at least £700 quid easily.
I paid £395 for the kit which i think is a real bargain considering what you get neat bottle style battery and aero type rim. I admit the battery is a little on the small side but for my commute of 13 miles each way is more than adequate.
Wireless computer / app on the phone to control the 5 different settings, overspeed alarm, antitheft etc and important for me no unsightly controller with wires hanging off the frame and only 1 wire to connect the motor. Also comes with a wired or bluetooth throttle which is handy for offroad i guess and the wheel comes complete with disc and tyre ready to fit.I will fit my own tyre as i like things to match but otherwise straight on no hassle. Haven't seen any other kit with overrun alarm or antitheft,complete wheel and tyre package even at higher price points. The company is run by a husband and wife and are very approachable and nice to deal with. The gent Clive before delivery was shipped to me he kindly went through the kit as to what i can expect but shouldn't be too hard.
I think when they mention on the site that other kits with multiple wires were hard to understand or install believe they were talking from personal experience as to when they were looking for a kit themselves not being technically minded etc rather than from a company point of view.
One of you guys mention about the customer service if something should go wrong personally i think if something would need replacement they wouldn't hesitate to resolve the matter for you.
Apologies for the long post but thought would give a little insight and will keep you posted once i have installed and start using the kit for myself.
Kind regards
Gfunk
Hi,
I have recently purchased, fitted and tested, the Easi-Fit Ebike Kit. I have two other purpose built e-bikes, so thought it would be interesting to compare them to a converted bike. I fitted the Easi-Fit kit to my 25 year old Falcon Fat Track ATB. It has completely transformed my trusty old steed and I am really impressed with its new lease of life. The kit is extremely easy to fit and consists of just the motorised front hub wheel, battery and holder and Bluetooth digital controller which incorporates a thumb throttle. As Gfunk states, the kit can also be controlled via a smartphone app. A decent alloy, handlebar mounted phone holder is also included with the kit.
Having clocked up over 100k in the first few days, I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance of this, reasonably priced kit. The battery may not be the most powerful but 60k can be achieved on a single charge, if the power settings are not set too high and the throttle is not used extensively. Size and weight of rider, terrain and inclines ridden will obviously be a factor in achieving this.
Both the wireless controller and the app work very well and are very easy to set up. The motor’s internal gyroscope, which detects movement and triggers propulsion is maybe the one major negative quality of the kit. Obviously it makes for a very easy installation but it is nowhere near as responsive as a conventional pedal assist crank sensor. Pickup response is not bad but cut out, when you stop pedalling is poor. The motor carries on working unless you brake or virtually stop. I would be interested to hear what you think on this score, Gfunk.
Overall, I am very happy with my purchase - it has made my old Falcon a lot of fun to ride.

Gfunk

Sep 10, 2020
Good morning,
Thank you for your informative review on a tried and fitted kit.
Certainly for the price and spec of this kit there is nothing out there i don't think without spending £700 quid sand it won't be as neat and tidy looking as this one.
As E-bullient advises that battery is a tad on the small side but for my 13 mile each way commute would of been more than adequate.
I have a Rockrider 560 pretty nice spec mountain but and was really excited to add this kit.
When I came to fitting it to the front wheel was disappointed to learn that my hydraulic brake caliper fowled the motor and the spoke of the wheel and i couldn't use it and have had to return this week.
A friend has offered to give me his 20 year old Fuji mountain bike with a rigid fork so that maybe more compatible with this kit that has a fairly large motor and rim braked.
E-bullient is your bike rim braked or disc.
Would be interesting to see a pic.
Thanks again
Gfunk

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Good morning,
Certainly for the price and spec of this kit there is nothing out there i don't think without spending £700 quid sand it won't be as neat and tidy looking as this one.
As E-bullient advises that battery is a tad on the small side but for my 13 mile each way commute would of been more than adequate.
I have a Rockrider 560 pretty nice spec mountain but and was really excited to add this kit.
When I came to fitting it to the front wheel was disappointed to learn that my hydraulic brake caliper fowled the motor and the spoke of the wheel and i couldn't use it and have had to return this week.
A friend has offered to give me his 20 year old Fuji mountain bike with a rigid fork so that maybe more compatible with this kit that has a fairly large motor and rim braked.
Thanks again
Gfunk
Brake caliper rubbing on the motor is a common problem. It's easily sorted by fitting a larger disc and a caliper adapter. That gives you better braking too, which is useful considering your extra speed. 180mm disc should be big enough.

Another problem that people sometimes get is the fork leg rubbing on the motor. That's more difficult to solve. It happens when the drop-outs are not level with the inboard side of the fork tube. If you have forks like that, you need to check dimensions carefuly before ordering and/or think about other options rather than a front motor.

The promotional videos with these sort of products make it look so easy to fit a front motor. They carefully choose a bike that has just the right forks to make it easy. For their customers, fitting the motor is fraught with problems and safety issues. I know people that broke their forks during fitting the motor before they ever got a chance to fire it up. Most people will need to file their drop-outs to get the motor in. Others will need to reshape them to get the motor in far enough. Some forks have drop-outs that are simply too weak. They know all this, but no mention in their promotional videos and you'd be lucky to get these things mentioned in their fitting instructions.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MontyPAS

Gfunk

Sep 10, 2020
Blast I wasn't aware that a bigger disk would of solved it.
Where would I get an adapter from.
Yeah go 160mm standard.
Regards

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

There are two types of fixing that applies to your forks and the disc caliper. The screws can go in from the side (ISIS or IS) or the top (post mount or PM).

If your caliper is mounted directly to the fork, the adapter would be a PM/PM one or ISIS , but if you already have an adapter, it could bring in the other two possibilities of PM/ISIS or ISIS/PM. It sounds complicated, but is very simple and logical. You only have to look at which direction the screws go and compare it with the picture in the description. The descriptions are never very clear.

The next thing you need to know is the size of your disc and the size of the new one. Say you have a 160mm disc, you want to go up to 180mm and you already have an ISIS adapter. In that case, you need an adapter that's 10mm higher (for 20mm dia increase), so if your adapter has 140/160mm or 160mm written on it, you need 140/180mm or 180mm. If there's, no adapter, you need one that's 10mm high.

If you're stuck, show us a photo and give details of the markings on any adaptor.

Gfunk

Sep 10, 2020
Hi vfr400,
Thank you so much for the informed post appreciate it.
Will see if i can post up a pic show you how the caliper is situated.
Will also compare it to the pic you posted of the mounts see if can work it out.
Also like you say the opposite side of the fork also slightly rubs so maybe my mountain bike isnt the right
one to convert.
Also i would of had to of filed down a little the drop outs and on a nice bike didnt want to do that.
Hopefully my mates old Fuji is better suited as doesnt have the complication of disc brakes and has a rigid fork which might
work better.
Indeed the vids look so easy but when you actually have to do the work it is a different ball game as I discovered.
Thanks again.
Kind regards

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi vfr400,
Thank you so much for the informed post appreciate it.
Will see if i can post up a pic show you how the caliper is situated.
Will also compare it to the pic you posted of the mounts see if can work it out.
Also like you say the opposite side of the fork also slightly rubs so maybe my mountain bike isnt the right
one to convert.
Also i would of had to of filed down a little the drop outs and on a nice bike didnt want to do that.
Hopefully my mates old Fuji is better suited as doesnt have the complication of disc brakes and has a rigid fork which might
work better.
Indeed the vids look so easy but when you actually have to do the work it is a different ball game as I discovered.
Thanks again.
Kind regards
I always recommend disc brakes on an electric bike because of your higher average speed.. normal rim brakes, IMHO, are just not up to it. Also, as a general rule, I recommend steel forks for a front motor, mainly because of the safety aspects. If you're going to source a bike for conversion with a front motor, you should look for one with those features plus a triangle frame.
Something like this:

Last edited:

Gfunk

Sep 10, 2020
Excellent thanks for your recommendations.
Maybe I might sell my Rockrider 560 and think about a fully fledged ebike.
Decathlon do a couple between £900 / £1100 quid.
Thanks again

E-bullient

Sep 16, 2020
Good morning,
Thanks again
Gfunk

Hi GFunk,
Sorry to hear you had problems fitting the Easi-Fit kit, re brake caliper. My Falcon has cantilever rim brakes, so I didn’t encounter a similar problem. There was a slight issue with clearance between the hub and forks but this was easily remedied by inserting a couple of flat washers on either side of the spindle. Fortunately the forks are rigid and made of steel and the dropout did not need any filing, as the axle fitted snugly and to the right depth. I upgraded the brake blocks with good quality Swissstop RAT blocks and they seem more than adequate. In fact I have done a number of upgrades, including new handlebars, rear back wheel (the old one was silver, so not a good match), and suspension seatpost. I have added a couple of pics of my rejuvenated bike.
I hope you manage to source a compatible bike for conversion or maybe a brand new e-bike!
All the best,
E-Bullient.

Attachments

Gfunk

Sep 10, 2020
Hi E-bullient,
Yes what can you do must be my french bike..lol
Good to see you have done what i was thinking with my mates free bike which have intensions of stripping and restoring it with better components like wheel, handlebar etc to a budget of course.
It is really good to see the real world effects of these kits like yourself carrying them out succesfully.
Did you manage to fit the locking washers they give you for the dropouts ?
Even these on my mountain bike they didn't fit would of had to file the fork down.
My mates mountain bike like yours has a steel fork which should defo not have an issue with this kit plus it is stronger being steel.
Cheers again much appreciated
Gfunk

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi GFunk,
Sorry to hear you had problems fitting the Easi-Fit kit, re brake caliper. My Falcon has cantilever rim brakes, so I didn’t encounter a similar problem. There was a slight issue with clearance between the hub and forks but this was easily remedied by inserting a couple of flat washers on either side of the spindle.
You've installed your motor upside down. The wire should go downwards otherwise the motor might fill up with water.

E-bullient

Sep 16, 2020
You've installed your motor upside down. The wire should go downwards otherwise the motor might fill up with water.
Hi vfr400,
It states in the installation instructions, that the cable notch in the hub spindle must point towards the handlebars, otherwise the motor won‘t work properly. I must admit I thought it a bit odd, as on my other e-bikes, the notch points towards the ground. I assume it has something to do with the gyroscope. I will have to try and avoid too much wet weather cycling!

E-bullient

Sep 16, 2020
Hi E-bullient,
Yes what can you do must be my french bike..lol
Good to see you have done what i was thinking with my mates free bike which have intensions of stripping and restoring it with better components like wheel, handlebar etc to a budget of course.
It is really good to see the real world effects of these kits like yourself carrying them out succesfully.
Did you manage to fit the locking washers they give you for the dropouts ?
Even these on my mountain bike they didn't fit would of had to file the fork down.
My mates mountain bike like yours has a steel fork which should defo not have an issue with this kit plus it is stronger being steel.
Cheers again much appreciated
Gfunk
Yes, the locking washers fitted ok - I fitted them both on the outside of the forks and all feels secure.

Gfunk

Sep 10, 2020
Good to know on the locking washers.
The notch is supposed to sit inside the dropout so the motor doesnt spin.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi vfr400,
It states in the installation instructions, that the cable notch in the hub spindle must point towards the handlebars, otherwise the motor won‘t work properly. I must admit I thought it a bit odd, as on my other e-bikes, the notch points towards the ground. I assume it has something to do with the gyroscope. I will have to try and avoid too much wet weather cycling!
Try it the right way up. I can't see the gyro sensor being in the motor because they'd have to use a non-standard cable. It looks like you have the standard 9-pin connector, so no extra wires for it.