Any experience with the easi-fit kit?

Murkymurky

Just Joined
Dec 21, 2020
HI,
Very happy to find this forum, then this thread and see that it’s up to date...
I’m currently juggling a Swytch eco kit and an EasiFit kit.

Swytch is now on my bike (cotic roadrat) as there was not way on earth a cadence PAS would on dad’s carbon trek road bike- fat tubes and no gaps anywhere.

Enter EasyFit... not the most catchy of names but, found them on DuckDuckGo on Thursday. Emailed an enquiry at midnight. Reply Friday 8am. phone call. Ordered Friday 1pm, delivered Saturday 3pm. 90 mins from delivery to fitted and working.
Just to see, I did it using only the supplied tools. All I needed to add was a pump, more long cable ties (very fat tubes).

I can clarify some of the queries above.

The gyroscope is in the controller circuitry that lives in the bottom of the battery bottle. It’s not in the motor hub.
I strongly suspect it’s actually a gyroscope/accelerometer board - generic part in every Android and iPhone, as well as all 6DOF VR headsets.

You have to calibrate it on really flat ground, with the bike held upright (as in ready to ride, not leaning against a wal).
If you later reposition the bottle motor/controller unit you have to recalibrate or it won’t know where ‘flat’ is.
You need a reasonable charge in the battery bottle and the BT thumb controller for this setup/config to work...

Response is indeed a bit laggy, but takes very little getting used to. The pickup delay when you start pedalling is enough to stop the bike jumping away, and if you want to gun it at a traffic light the thumb throttle is near-instant.
Motor cutoff delay when you stop pedalling is less ideal: you wind up braking against the motor for a moment. That’s ok once you get used to it. Dad’s bike has fairly average side pull road brakes and it all just works.
You can also dial down the e-assist power very quickly if you site the controller in the right place.

Pedal assist auto power increase on hills works really smoothly, as does the cutoff when you hit a downhill.

The supplied rim is pretty decent. matte black rim/spokes/motor
Wheel seems well built. Kenda tyre with some tread pattern. Schrader valve.

Motor made some slightly alarming sounds at first (cghcghcchmmmmmmeekbrrrr...) but stopped after 10 miles. My guess is lubricant needed redistributing after months in a container. Now it just does a reasonable sounding whine with the odd muffled click on power take-up/cutoff/major level change. So that’ll be the brushless motor noise and the planetary gears shifting.

It’s very neat looking, battery obv won’t compete with a 500Ah Panasonic but then it doesn’t cost £500....

And it really is only 1 wire to connect up. I like

Murkymurky

Just Joined
Dec 21, 2020
Try it the right way up. I can't see the gyro sensor being in the motor because they'd have to use a non-standard cable. It looks like you have the standard 9-pin connector, so no extra wires for it.

Has anyone actually confirmed this?
Easi- and Swytch kits have the same axle/cable arrangement.
Swytch imply that the slot should be pointing down (when the bike is the right way up) ‘as otherwise the cable could get bent’ which makes no sense.
Easi say it should be that way up or it won’t work properly.

Both are getting confused because the machine-translated Chinese manuals say ‘pointing upwards/downwards’ with no ref to whether the bike is upside-down or on its wheels (‘vertical’)

Both Swytch and Easi motors seem work exactly the same - in my very short test on 2 bikes - whichever way the axle (and hence the cable slot) is oriented. These are brushless motor hubs. They do not know which way is up.

So the question is simple (ish):

Is the obvious risk of water getting into the hub with the cable-channel facing the handlebars more serious than the risk of damage to the cable if it exits downwards and gets bent thru a tight radius so as to run it up the forks?

Cheers

M

Gfunk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 10, 2020
Swytch imply that the slot should be pointing down (when the bike is the right way up) ‘as otherwise the cable could get bent’ which makes no sense.

Both are getting confused because the machine-translated Chinese manuals say ‘pointing upwards/downwards’ with no ref to whether the bike is upside-down or on its wheels (‘vertical’)

Both Swytch and Easi motors seem work exactly the same - in my very short test on 2 bikes - whichever way the axle (and hence the cable slot) is oriented. These are brushless motor hubs. They do not know which way is up.

Is the obvious risk of water getting into the hub with the cable-channel facing the handlebars more serious than the risk of damage to the cable if it exits downwards and gets bent thru a tight radius so as to run it up the forks?

Cheers

M
Hi mate,
Regrettably i had to return mine as wouldn't fit my mountain bike due to my hydraulic brake caliper being too large and rubbed.
I would say give Clive a call as they are really helpful and have great customer service.
I was one of the first to place an order with them as they are a new company but would not hesitate buying again.
Regards
Gfunk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hub fitting is simple with the bike wheels in contact with the ground water will track in to the internals if the motor wire entry is from above, the cable must exit downwards with a drip loop. We have seen many hubs before rusted up due to water ingress/incorrect fitting of axle orientation, common sense/logic is all that is needed.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

Cheers

M
I've had to fix many bikes because the motor filled up with water when the motor was installed the wrong way up. I never had to fix one that had a damaged cable, except one that was damaged in an accident, where the damage would have bewn the same whichever way up it was.

Our Chinese friends sometimes attempt to seal the cable with sealant inside the motor. Some are better than others at getting it in the right place!