Any need for brake sensors? Gear selectors fouling throttle

logicped

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2020
Just installed my 250W/500W kit and have integrated gear/brake levers on my 7 speed hybrid so can't install the brake levers/sensors that come with the kit to cut off the motor.

FIRST QUESTION!
I rode the bike for about 30 mins and can't really see the need for the brake sensors. When I need to brake, I naturally stop pedalling and the motor safely cuts out. I am guessing in an emergency I grab the brakes, but will always stop pedalling as a natural reaction. Am I missing something? Or is this just a safety add on that people don't install?

SECOND QUESTION
Because of my integrated 7 speed gear selectors the thumb throttle stops them from dropping down a gear as they are "thumb/index finger" controlled. I would like to replace the selectors so they are 'thumb only' and the up/down selectors are mounted underneath. Can I buy these separately or do I have to replace my rear gear deralier to match?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Brake cut out is a safety feature when a throttle is fitted. It is possible for throttle to go faulty and go full on. How do you stop?
Also brake cutoff is very handy when approaching a junction and wanting to go down through the gears, useful too for low speed manouvering or pedestrian areas. You can get magnetic type sensors, will need a bit of soldering.
As to the changers, so long as they are indexed to the number of gears you have, should be fine - but if you're changing it any way why not fit at least one brake sensor, say to the rear brake?

Reactions: sjpt

logicped

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2020
Ah, didn't think of that regarding the throttle sticking on ;-) Yes, agreed, to be honest if I can swap the shifters I will just install the supplied brake levers with the cut offs. I will take a look for some shifters now. Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What brand of shifters/brakes are you using ?

Brake cut outs are used to prevent motor controller from smoking should a fault occur esp with a throttle fitted, some controller makes do suffer from slight power over run so also useful when riding slow or stopping in these cases.