any one been pulled over by uk police

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and had bike taken away if was over 250w or had a dongle fitted.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not really heard of any one not even on here yet, unless of course you have been pulled by plod ? If you have then dressing up like Lord Vader doesn't surprise me as it will send the wrong message that your bike is not what it seems.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
nope never, even with my full face helmet on they just dont seem interested and i have been past loads of police cars over the 790 miles i done so far on it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In that case then unless you are involved in an accident or are seen riding recklessly you are unlikely to encounter them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We've never found any instance of this happening in mainland Britain. The nearest to it was a report of a prosecution for using 250 watt e-bikes in Guernsey where they'd adopted the UK's 200 watt EAPC regulations into their law.

However, that was apparently due to sour grapes, a dealer supplying 200 watt e-bikes reporting to the police a dealer who hired out 250 watt ones. So not a stop and confiscation.

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
However, that was apparently due to sour grapes, a dealer supplying 200 watt e-bikes reporting to the police a dealer who hired out 250 watt ones. So not a stop and confiscation.

pmsl :rolleyes:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have had a couple of cops look over my bike one day when it was parked outside the pub and overheard them saying how it looked a great idea and they wished the bosses would buy similar for them to use.
The beauty of the BBS02 750W is it looks exactly the same as the 250W version..

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
In that case then unless you are involved in an accident or are seen riding recklessly you are unlikely to encounter them.
once, as I was racing uphill on a pavement at around 20- 25 mph (it was an emergency) passing policemen in a police car looked at me with mild annoyance/suspicion (I promptly hopped off the pavement)

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
I was pulled over on my Iped , which looks more like a moped. The policeman got out the car looked at the bike and said, " that one of those electric bikes?" I replied yes, we then had a chat about some goings on in the town. Some kind of argument started on the pavement nearby. I told him I think you're needed, he checked to see I could get around the car okay and went to sort the problem.

D

Deleted member 4366

My neighbour got stopped by the police when he was riding on the pavement and road on one of those scooter things with small wheels and a saddle (no pedals). They gave him a section 59 notice that said he was causing a public nuicance, and if he did was caught again, they'd confiscate it. Contrary to popular belief, they did not treat it as a motor vehicle.

Ferdinand

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
NG17
My neighbour got stopped by the police when he was riding on the pavement and road on one of those scooter things with small wheels and a saddle (no pedals). They gave him a section 59 notice that said he was causing a public nuicance, and if he did was caught again, they'd confiscate it. Contrary to popular belief, they did not treat it as a motor vehicle.
Aiui Section 59 +only+ applies to motor vehicles.

Ferdinand

Reactions: One_Box

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
If they gave him a s59 notice then they DID treat it as a motor vehicle ...as s59 only applies to using a motor vehicle.....( whether they were right to is another matter....)

Reactions: Jayfdee

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If they gave him a s59 notice then they DID treat it as a motor vehicle ...as s59 only applies to using a motor vehicle.....( whether they were right to is another matter....)
They were undoubtedly right to. There is no exemption for such a vehicle in the two and three wheel motor vehicle type approval legislation, currently included in 168/2013.

Reactions: Gedge

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
They were undoubtedly right to. There is no exemption for such a vehicle in the two and three wheel motor vehicle type approval legislation, currently included in 168/2013.
Thanks ... I was more referring to whether riding on the footpath met the proper criteria for a s59....

Reactions: flecc

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
No UK, but we have a police reality show in OZ where the camera crew rides along with the motor patrol, they have had two overpowered E-bikes pulled over and fined ~$1500 each and told to push the bike home or pick it up later, both this year.
They never looked at the motor they clocked them both doing about 40 kph or just under and not pedalling on flat roads.
Also a few petrol bikes same fines, one of them had no brakes at all :eek:

Basic take away is if you have to ride an illegal bike at least pretend to pedal :)

Gedge

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
I have many police friends still serving, and some have been very interested in my Ebike , but not one of them had the first idea about the legal requirements other than that you need to be over 14.... I doubt any of them would bother to stop an Ebike , although as GeeBee suggests, if you are going to whizz past one, at least make it look like you are pedalling.....

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Plus any 7 on it is easily altered to a 2. ;)
Already sorted and I have a metal sticker on the side that states 250W nominal.25Kph max EN15194.
That should be enough to keep them happy and if stopped I can limit the speed in about 6 seconds.