Any one else have a Shwinn.

Carol

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2008
Just looking through the threads and wonder if any one else has a Shwinn, we have the Shwinn Stream Line, and are very pleased with them, they are a pleasure to ride, we have had them 6 months now and are impressed with the distance we can travel on a battery charge.

We had the Giant Lafree for 5 years previously and was always pleased with them indeed did not think we could improve on them, but when we went to update them for newer models, found that the models they have bought out instead of the La Free to heavy for us.

We tried the Shwinn up hill and down dale in Scotland and it took us effortlessly. Any one else with one. Carol.

C

Cyclezee

Your comments are very interesting Carol, I think you might be the only member who owns one, or is it two?
Schwinn electric bikes have not had a good press and a lot of negative comments have been made on the forum, particulrly regarding controllers. This bad publicity has almost certainly put off potential buyers, but maybe Schwinn have got there act together and yours is an updated model?
You are clearly impressed with yours when you make comparisons with the late great Giant Lafree.

John

Carol

May 19, 2008
Hi Aldby, yes we do have two a lady's and gents and Ed has cycled at least 550 miles on his and I have done over 400 on mine, we carry them on the back of our Motorhome and never need to move it when sited as the Shwinn's take us where ever we want to go, what I like about them is they are so discreet that when we use the cycle tracks you can't hardly see they are electric. We also use them locally even though we live on a hill we don't need to think about it, we are both retired, and find the assist make cycling a pleasure, and 20 to 30 miles in a day does not phase us at all.

Been a woman don't understand all terms used so what do you refer to when you mention controller, so I can answer that for you. Carol.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The controller on yours is in the front of the battery casing Carol. It's an electronic circuit that receives the command from the throttle and issues the battery current in pulses to the motor, thus managing the motor's behaviour.

Schwinn's first bikes with this system have suffered many failures of the controller circuit, and the Tongxin Nano motor they use has suffered the same failures when supplied as a kit for use in other bikes. Members here are among those who've experienced a number of failures, hence our caution.

Carol

May 19, 2008
Hi Flec & Aldby, thanks for the explanation, now I know, but as you say they must have been earlier models, because ourselves and friends of ours who also have the Shwinn have not had any problems at all, and the more we use them the more pleased we are with them, I think its how responsive and well balanced the Shwinn is that makes them such a pleasure to ride.

Had a look at the other link about speed, I thought there was a 15 mile limiter on electric bikes to be used in the UK but perhaps I'm wrong. But for sure the bike go a lot faster when been used knock the engine off . Going along especially when you have a good run Ed has got up to speeds of 29 miles a hour (and he is 68 so that is quite fast enough) and my speed on a downward stretch is 24 miles a hour and for a 64 year old lady that is plenty fast enough, But when touring around 10/15 miles per hour is comfy and allows us to see the country side.

I am finding it interesting following the pedelecs site, and learning new things. Carol.