Any other controllers that will work on Yose power 350w

scbk

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2019
Highlands
Hi folks,

After a year and 1200 miles it seems the controller on my yose power 350w rear wheel kit is now kaput.
It started off recently, it would intermittently freeze the speed and motor watts on the display for 10+ seconds, during which you're lose all power to the motor, then it would come back to life and be fine for a few minutes/miles.
I was emailing yose power through ebay, they wanted a video of it happening, easier said than done when it was random.

Was out one night last week trying to record it when the bike cut out completely - screen went blank, and the switch on the battery wouldn't light up. (the battery is fine when not connected to the rest of the kit)

Yose power said the problem was either motor or controller
Borrowed a friend bike that has other problems, and his controller powers up fine on my bike.

Anyway Yose power have said I can buy a new controller off their site, nearly £50 with delivery though!!

There's similar looking controllers on ebay starting at less than a tenner, but the main disadvantage is they don't come with the right plugs, so would inlove a fair bit of fannying about with a soldering iron!

Any suggestions/ideas?

Haven't got round opening up the old controller yet.......

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us a pic of your controller and the connectors.
Your controller sounds like it is suffering from thermal cut outs, the 6 mosfet ones do this once they get to hot. Temporarily they short until they cool down then work again, I was having similar issue riding on the South Downs using high assist when climbing steep inclines at low speed. The controller gets so hot you can't touch it without getting a scald burn, I first tried an extra heat sink which helped a bit then added a couple of 5v mini fans with a separate 18650 power supply but git fed up with the extra faff. I now just use the better 9 mosfet signwave controller.

scbk

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2019
Highlands
Show us a pic of your controller and the connectors.
Your controller sounds like it is suffering from thermal cut outs, the 6 mosfet ones do this once they get to hot. Temporarily they short until they cool down then work again, I was having similar issue riding on the South Downs using high assist when climbing steep inclines at low speed. The controller gets so hot you can't touch it without getting a scald burn, I first tried an extra heat sink which helped a bit then added a couple of 5v mini fans with a separate 18650 power supply but git fed up with the extra faff. I now just use the better 9 mosfet signwave controller.
Do you know if there's any 9 mosfet controllers that would be "plug and play" with the yose power 350w kit?
I can solder, but I'm not the best, and I bloody hate it! :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes there are 22a/ 9 fet KT sign waves available.

Reactions: scbk

scbk

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2019
Highlands
Great thank you, I see there's ones with the light function, I take it that would work with the existing button, where holding down "up" brings on the lcd backlight? And the lamp required to run off it would be the same voltage as the battery ie 36v

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Great thank you, I see there's ones with the light function, I take it that would work with the existing button, where holding down "up" brings on the lcd backlight? And the lamp required to run off it would be the same voltage as the battery ie 36v
Be careful. The light function controller uses a 9 wire 1T5 control cable so you may need to also purchase this to get the light to work.

Reactions: scbk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lcd light function is only a back light for night riding to read the display, afaik never tried it. It doesn't actual switch riding lights.
The controller light function I think needs an aux switch to which the light then connects to, my SM connection controllers with the light feed work this way.

Last edited:

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
The lcd light function is only a back light for night riding to read the display, afaik never tried it. It doesn't actual switch riding lights.
The controller light function I think needs an aux switch to which the light then connects to, my SM connection controllers with the light feed work this way.
Hi. I have fitted both the yose 350w kit that has no light function and a yose 250w front wheel kit that came with the extra wire in control cable and extra front connection that connects to supplied front light only. Both kits had almost identical KT 15A controllers and LCD3. The front light on 250w kit switches on with the lcd3 light when the arrow up button is pressed. It connects and works well (plug and play). I dont know what the front light voltage is but I suspect that it is not full battery voltage but a lower voltage to directly drive the leds in supplied front light.

scbk

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2019
Highlands
Thanks for everyone's help. :)

Got the OKfeet 22a controller, it's nearly 3 times the size of the original! Just fits in the old yose power controller bag!

Only done a quick test ride so far, but the display says the motor is now doing over 700w :cool:

And the lights work as expected by holding down the "up" button, although not fitted them on the bike yet.