Any reliable electric kits at all ?

joab

Pedelecer
Hi, I'm using the ezee kit. Got it end January this year. I now have 4500km. No problems. Doing 40km per day on one charge, needs less then 4 hours charging. I Limit my speed to 25km. I would recommend this kit.
Regards,
Jo

halflife

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2008
I have a heinzmann on my paratrooper. Don't know of any issues with it (someone may know something I don't of course). 600 miles so far and no issues

Halflife

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Or are they all plagued with probelms like the BIONX ?
It's a yes and no answer. With all kits as with all bikes, the majority have good experiences but each type has the odd horror story. For example and incuding references to the above postings:

BionX owners from four countries have apparently only had good experiences and are full of praise in this forum, but it seems your experience or knowledge may have been different.

I know of a few horror stories on eZee (Suzhou Bafang) motors, against many hundreds of good experiences.

One member reported a need for much higher levels of maintenance and repair on Heinzmann, compared with most experience of a very reliable and well made motor.

The Tongxin Nano motor, also available as a kit, is now being very successfully used by some manufacturers and the odd individuals, but there's been numerous problems with controllers and drive systems previously.

The Currie Electrodrive kit is the longest lived of all and there are many ardent fans, but they've gone through many types of motor problems over the years and the kind currently being used is suffering the odd failures again.

The reality is that e-bikes in general have nothing like the technical maturity of cars and motorcycles and don't have the same level of overall reliability that over 100 years of experience has built.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
As Flecc says, the general experiences here with Bionx are good. I've done about 3800 miles on mine, and my wife's just bought one too - so far so good.

What problems have you had Tepol?

WaiWonChing

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2007
Chief eZee Operator

Hi,

eZee will be launching it's conversion KITs in UK very soon, I don't know what the retail price is going to be in UK at this time, ask Rhys at Cyclepoint. But I am sure it will be the best deal you ever get, great performance and value for money, and take a much shorter time and far easier to install than the Bionx, and you don't have to mess with the drive you already have on your bike, and there is option for disc brakes.

We have been extremely successful with our launch this year in Canada, and we have been selling many hundreds of these there, giving Bionx a good run in their home ground.

So for those who are interested contact Cyclepoint so that they could make the estimates of quantities for their stocks.

Another point is there will be available 200 rpm ( 16 mph on 26" wheel ) and 250 rpm version ( 20 mph or 32 kmph 26" wheel ). Also available in 28"/700C wheels, and 300 rpm versions for 20" wheel , not recommended for people who have suicidal tendencies to put 300 rpm 40 kmph on 28" wheels.

Also will be available in soft battery pannier bags, as well as specially built rear carrier with flat battery boxes. All 37V 10 Ah Li+ polymer battery and 4 amps fast charger. 80 % charge ( 8Ah) in 2 hrs flat.

Best regards
W W Ching

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi,

eZee will be launching it's conversion KITs in UK very soon, I don't know what the retail price is going to be in UK at this time, ask Rhys at Cyclepoint. But I am sure it will be the best deal you ever get, great performance and value for money, and take a much shorter time and far easier to install than the Bionx, and you don't have to mess with the drive you already have on your bike, and there is option for disc brakes.

We have been extremely successful with our launch this year in Canada, and we have been selling many hundreds of these there, giving Bionx a good run in their home ground.

So for those who are interested contact Cyclepoint so that they could make the estimates of quantities for their stocks.

Another point is there will be available 200 rpm ( 16 mph on 26" wheel ) and 250 rpm version ( 20 mph or 32 kmph 26" wheel ). Also available in 28"/700C wheels, and 300 rpm versions for 20" wheel , not recommended for people who have suicidal tendencies to put 300 rpm 40 kmph on 28" wheels.

Also will be available in soft battery pannier bags, as well as specially built rear carrier with flat battery boxes. All 37V 10 Ah Li+ polymer battery and 4 amps fast charger. 80 % charge ( 8Ah) in 2 hrs flat.

Best regards
W W Ching
The above is perilously close to a sales pitch.. Stricltly against forum rules:(

What are your views Russ?

musicbooks

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Cannot speak for Russ, but I do not mind if the information is of interest, which it is.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think wisper have one out in the new year as well.....I bet both these will be horrendously expensive in comparison to the Alien:)

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Cannot speak for Russ, but I do not mind if the information is of interest, which it is.
The danger is that the forum could get swamped in a sludge of ads and not-so-cleverly disguised promotions and it loses its impartiality, and that is not its purpose. This can be really irritating and often results in slanging matches, incriminations and ill feeling.

musicbooks

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Advertising

The above is perilously close to a sales pitch.. Stricltly against forum rules:(

What are your views Russ?

musicbooks
Hi Musicbooks

For what it's worth here's my two penneth.

The site allows sensible comment from suppliers and gives a little more lee way to the advertisers who support the site by paying for space. Unfortunately the site does cost a lot of money to keep open and unless all the contributors would like to make a donation to keep it free of advertising (which I believe would drastically cut the number of members) it has to be a little commercial.

Making allowances for the above would anyone like to have a little advance information about the new Wisper kit? It's on test at the moment in New Zealand and it's not half bad, it's not half price either Macca44!! :eek:

Best regards David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes please David, that news will be interesting.

On the issue of advertising in thread entries, the majority of members have said they do welcome announcements with basic details on products that are relevant, this giving them the chance to ask questions and request more details.

The ones causing the problems are usually easily identified, resembling as they do a page or more of a sales catalogue and being blatantly intended to sell, often lacking information.

Most objectionable are the ones we have immediately removed, list of items which have little or no relevance to a pedelecs forum.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Yes please David, that news will be interesting.

On the issue of advertising in thread entries, the majority of members have said they do welcome announcements with basic details on products that are relevant, this giving them the chance to ask questions and request more details.

The ones causing the problems are usually easily identified, resembling as they do a page or more of a sales catalogue and being blatantly intended to sell, often lacking information.

Most objectionable are the ones we have immediately removed, list of items which have little or no relevance to a pedelecs forum.
Hi Flecc,
I think my objection is to the hard sell that is bedded into posts. I don't think Mr Ching's post is that bad but I get fed up with sales pitch rather than honest opinion. We know who Mr Ching and all other company directors are etc and we can make objective judgements about their opinion but those new to the forum might jump right in and make the wrong decison based on commercially-driven biased comments such as "best ever" etc etc . I think that was the point I was trying to make.
BW
musicbooks

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Hi Musicbooks

For what it's worth here's my two penneth.

The site allows sensible comment from suppliers and gives a little more lee way to the advertisers who support the site by paying for space. Unfortunately the site does cost a lot of money to keep open and unless all the contributors would like to make a donation to keep it free of advertising (which I believe would drastically cut the number of members) it has to be a little commercial.

Making allowances for the above would anyone like to have a little advance information about the new Wisper kit? It's on test at the moment in New Zealand and it's not half bad, it's not half price either Macca44!! :eek:

Best regards David
David,

Do you have any info you can share about the Wisper kit? Such as specs, price, when it will be availiable etc.

Cheeers, BM.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Flecc,
I think my objection is to the hard sell that is bedded into posts. I don't think Mr Ching's post is that bad but I get fed up with sales pitch rather than honest opinion. We know who Mr Ching and all other company directors are etc and we can make objective judgements about their opinion but those new to the forum might jump right in and make the wrong decison based on commercially-driven biased comments such as "best ever" etc etc . I think that was the point I was trying to make.
BW
musicbooks
I do take your point, but as long as the poster identifies who they are commercially there should be no problem for newcomers. Wai Won, the 50cycles directors and Lloyd, the Wisper directors and Dick Lai, Frank at Powabyke and Emotive Pete all do that, leaving no-one in any doubt about the relationship with the product. Since we do gain quite a lot from their presence with advice on problems and helpful actions on needs I think we win overall and I wouldn't like to see them removed. Their relationship is certainly commercial, but they can often be very good friends as well.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I do take your point, but as long as the poster identifies who they are commercially there should be no problem for newcomers. Wai Won, the 50cycles directors and Lloyd, the Wisper directors and Dick Lai, Frank at Powabyke and Emotive Pete all do that, leaving no-one in any doubt about the relationship with the product. Since we do gain quite a lot from their presence with advice on problems and helpful actions on needs I think we win overall and I wouldn't like to see them removed. Their relationship is certainly commercial, but they can often be very good friends as well.
I wouldn't like to lose them either as their advice is often very helpful and constructive, and their presence on the forum is great for raising awareness of new products, troubleshooting problems and answering complaints and criticisms directly.

Perhaps, sometimes, it's just a case of an occasional friendly and gentle nudge to remind them to tone down the sales tactics in their posts.

BW
musicbooks

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
I beleive that Cytronex are planning a kit in the new year based on the same technology as thier complete bikes. No price or date info, the hope is for January but this is certainly not a confirmed date. The date for the new bikes is also hopefully Jan and I think more likely.

I get the impression that the kit will come in a number of different configs for different bike types. Presumably a 700c, 26" etc? Who knows, didn't go into details here. The battery will be the same water bottle type design.

The kit and the new bikes are set to differ from the current bikes in that they will have a crank sensor such that they work in pedelec mode. From what I understand they will ONLY work in this mode but may have this wrong? This differs from the current mode of operation which does not require the pedals to be turning to power the bike. This is to fit in with changes to the law.

For me this is fine but I know it will not be to everyones liking. I think for the Cytronex target market, people will want to pedle anyways and largely use the motor for a bit of extra help up the hills and strong headwinds. I suspect the law change will be more of an issue for the more traditional throttle jockey style of bike and riding.

On a seperate tack, I contacted Tongxin and was told what others have been, that they will not supply to individuals. I explained that there was no active distributor in the UK and they were not aware of this?

So, I think the only option for me is to wait and see what the kit brings or to buy a complete Cytronex bike in the new year. None of the other motor configurations work well for me.

Cheers, BM.