Anyone converted to EV with Xiongda 2 speed motor rear wheel?

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
Hi,
Thanks to all for great discussions. I have an airnimal joey with 24" wheels which I converted with a Q100 motor (36V 250W) which does well on short, not very steep hills but I live in a hilly area and am thinking of changing it to the 2 speed Xiongda. I'm not interested in speed on the flat as I can pedal quite happly at 10-15mph under leg power alone but dodgy knees are taking their toll and I need more help on the hills. But a Q100 going at 5-6mph in 1st gear is not ideal. And I'm off to the Julien Alps in May! Has anyone any experience of this motor?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Use the forum search area.
d8veh first brought the Xiongda to light and raved about it, he weighed 100kg and said it would take him up steep hills, he asid it was best in auto mode where it switched to low speed mode and acted like a winch at about 7/8mph.
He did find one flaw in them and that is they don't like to be back wheeled as it caused clutch issues.

Last edited:

3wheeler

Just Joined
Dec 11, 2018
hi, I have a 36v Xiongda in 24" front wheel trike . I live in Cornwall only steep hills I am 74 with Parkinson no trouble at all , and Bonnie is the best to deal with.

Reactions: Nealh

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
Many thanks. I did look at the forum but obviously not very well. I've just tried again and there are quite a lot that I han't found. So - more reading. I'm glad to not hear of any major issues more recently so I'm going to take the plunge. It'll give me more practice at wheel building- using a new rim this time, not to mention my soldering and crimping skills...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi LithiumFan,

I have been looking at quality folders like the Airnimal Joyey in view of providing a kit for it.
Where do you keep your battery if you don't mind me asking?

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
Hi Woosh,
I adapted a 26" rear rack so it sat very close to the top of the back wheel (to reduce folded size), fashioned a bit of aluminium for attaching the controller and then I just use a rack bag for the battery. I idn't want to use the bottle mounts as I often step over the frame and I don't like the look very much either. I've tried to upload a picture but not having much luck. I'll post this and try again...

I'm about to look at upgrading all the wiring to Higo type as I have a mass of wires going round the bottom bracket which looks really messy.