Anyone had an interesting ride recently ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
That be South Devon ... the town pic is Dartmouth. The seaside spots .. 1st pic is Bigbury facing Burgh Island. The second ? Now that would be telling ;)
Dartmouth...of course !! :eek:

I walked around there 24th November 2011 with my brother, silly me to forget, lovely harbour there, we were in his coach and went back across on the chain ferry.

The second sea pic Im guessing is actually on Burgh Island......

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

I've updated my pic to try and make it more interesting :D
First prize goes to you Ettica for the most innovative and amusing picture by a long way.....love it :D

D

Deleted member 4366

My German friend is a keen biker, and he just sent me this video of one of his recent rides. Doesn't it make you jealous? Properly sorted like everything these Germans.
RTAH - IBC-TV auf MTB-News.de

BTW Lynda, I only just noticed. You're in my Gmail automatic list of contacts on the right. When i click on you, up comes a silhouette of a Buffalo !!!???

Last edited by a moderator:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
BTW Lynda, I only just noticed. You're in my Gmail automatic list of contacts on the right. When i click on you, up comes a silhouette of a Buffalo !!!???
I think you will find, Dave, that its actually a black Pomeranian :D :D

Buffalo indeed........give me strength........lol

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Tom, my commonsense side is saying buy a house and try to grow old gracefully......

my wild side is saying go for the canal life for a few years and grow old disgracefully.......

its a battle but although Ive never been a conformist, I was once an estate agent, have owned houses for 45 years and the urge for bricks and mortar is very strong......along with the hyperventilating that goes alongside the very thought of having to part with my beloved motorhome if I lived on a boat.

I need to get a grip, had a way too low offer yesterday, lets see if today we can meet somewhere sensible, then the battle really will commence.

Best option is probably to do what my parents did and downsize form a house to a flat and then buy a boat. Some where nice and warm for winter and when finally have had enough or unable to boat a place to continue living. Mind you currently they are on narrow boat for ar least 8 months of year.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
My German friend is a keen biker, and he just sent me this video of one of his recent rides. Doesn't it make you jealous? Properly sorted like everything these Germans.
RTAH - IBC-TV auf MTB-News.de
Great video Dave, fabulous scenery, scary ride through the tunnel next to that raging torrent of a river and I particularly liked the way they kept stripping half naked to change clothes ;)

C

Cyclezee

No, I think Dave is quite correct if not politically so, it's definitely a Buffalo:rolleyes:

BTW a very tenuous link with Buffalo, our new premises that we will be moving to in a two weeks is a couple of hundred metres from an Elephant graveyard, no kidding:confused:

The land is owned by Tod Cody, a direct descendant of Buffalo Bill, from where he runs this enterprise Wild West Adventures for your cowboy party, Wild West entertainment or corporate team-building,:eek:

Yes, I also thought it was Buffalo **** when I first found out.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Best option is probably to do what my parents did and downsize form a house to a flat and then buy a boat. Some where nice and warm for winter and when finally have had enough or unable to boat a place to continue living. Mind you currently they are on narrow boat for ar least 8 months of year.
Ive been cogitating along those lines GaRRy, especially since my best friend Elsie's new boyfriend lives on a narrow boat but now they are madly in love they are going to winter in her house in Kendal then the rest of the year wander about on the boat.

As soon as I head up north again Im going on theirs first to see if I could hack it.
Just a bit concerned about managing lots of locks on my own and the possible idiosyncrasies of an engine....Im not very engine minded ......to put it mildly !!

The other thing is, can I handle the speed, or rather lack of it, could I relax enough to accept the slow meandering life long term :confused:

Still, for the moment its keeping me busy looking at boats for sale and deciding where I would put it first.

The Grand Union canal around Milton Keynes looks like a good starting point.......and all those Redways to cycle on........ :)

However, dreaming aside, I am supposed to be heading north to spend more time with my mam and as far as I know, there arent any canals on Tyneside :rolleyes:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
No, I think Dave is quite correct if not politically so, it's definitely a Buffalo:rolleyes:

BTW a very tenuous link with Buffalo, our new premises that we will be moving to in a two weeks is a couple of hundred metres from an Elephant graveyard, no kidding

The land is owned by Tod Cody, a direct descendant of Buffalo Bill, from where he runs this enterprise Wild West Adventures for your cowboy party, Wild West entertainment or corporate team-building,

Yes, I also thought it was Buffalo **** when I first found out.
You know full well that its Rico, he weighs 2 kilos......hardly a buffalo, even though he thinks he is a Rottveiller at times ;)

Trust you to find a link to your new premises......no flies on you are there.....not even with a load of buffalo **** around lol :p

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
You know full well that its Rico, he weighs 2 kilos......hardly a buffalo, even though he thinks he is a Rottveiller at times ;)

Trust you to find a link to your new premises......no flies on you are there.....not even with a load of buffalo **** around lol :p

Would Rico like to live on a boat?
We have three jackieBijons and they are nutters, they can't even cope on dry land! They hurtle around like bats from the darkside but they are gorgeous. Wouldn't trust 'em on a boat.... but then again I wouldn't trust myself!
My sister in law lived on a narrowboat for a while .... and fell in love with the bloke moored next to her! Bliss for awhile but it ended within a year..
Good look in your 'project' :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Would Rico like to live on a boat?
We have three jackieBijons and they are nutters, they can't even cope on dry land! They hurtle around like bats from the darkside but they are gorgeous. Wouldn't trust 'em on a boat.... but then again I wouldn't trust myself!
My sister in law lived on a narrowboat for a while .... and fell in love with the bloke moored next to her! Bliss for awhile but it ended within a year..
Good look in your 'project'
Thanks for your good wishes Ettica and also you pose another burning question .....I have 3 poms and they dont 'do' swimming, however you can get lifejackets for them and also, apparently, a long pole with a hook to fish them out :eek:

I am working on the idea of enclosing the front patio thingy that they seem to have on these boats, the good thing being that they are so small at least they couldnt jump overboard from there.
Apparently, the back patio thingy would be where I would sort of 'steer' it.....with a tiller ? :confused:

Guess I might have to do a lot more homework first :rolleyes:

However the safety of my dogs has to come first and if I think it wouldnt be feasible then that idea is out.
I did see a boat the other week on the gloucester canal called the 'K9 Hilton' with 'its a dogs life' written on the side so its obviously possible, my friends bf travels with 2 cats !

Personally I always like to be a bit different, so am currently investigating the possibility of travelling with a pet buffalo........

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Aaaaw thanks :) is that Tinky Winky or Wonky Nonky or something :p
Tinky winky of course lol

Po is red

Dipsy is green

Laa Laa is yellow

.......though I prefer your suggested name Wonky Nonky :cool:

( this forum is really bizarre at times......but fun )

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Thanks for your good wishes Ettica and also you pose another burning question .....I have 3 poms and they dont 'do' swimming, however you can get lifejackets for them and also, apparently, a long pole with a hook to fish them out :eek:

I am working on the idea of enclosing the front patio thingy that they seem to have on these boats, the good thing being that they are so small at least they couldnt jump overboard from there.
Apparently, the back patio thingy would be where I would sort of 'steer' it.....with a tiller ?

Guess I might have to do a lot more homework first :rolleyes:

However the safety of my dogs has to come first and if I think it wouldnt be feasible then that idea is out.
I did see a boat the other week on the gloucester canal called the 'K9 Hilton' with 'its a dogs life' written on the side so its obviously possible, my friends bf travels with 2 cats !

Personally I always like to be a bit different, so am currently investigating the possibility of travelling with a pet buffalo........

Dogs and boats are fine. Parents last dog spent more time on the water than dry land during the summer (now sadly no more). My Staffies have also loved it (although definitely allergic to the water :) ) Once they have fallen in they soon learn how stupid a idea it is and any way dogs have one big advantage over humans in that they dont need to learn to swim as its a in built reflex to start doggy paddling.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I was out playing today and crossed the Forth road bridge.( Forth bridge - YouTube ) :) in a gale, well it felt like a gale. :) I've got to say it was a good run, though 40 miles in the wind isn't a thing I'd do without electric.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Lovely weekend. Did the Camel Trail yesterday from Bodmin to Padstow (and back along some very hilly roads including one of Simon Warren's 'Another 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs' at Bishop's Wood - 28% and 9/10 for difficulty according to Simon).
Camel Trail.jpg

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ That's how I like to see the SW sands ... Bigbury was like a bad dream this afternoon, British seaside at its worst (well not quite but it's all relative) - had a quick swim and moved on. It was truly shocking how a place could change in the space of 24 hours with the influx of humanity and its paraphenalia. Had me praying for some chilly winds to clear the sands ;) - and as for the roads :rolleyes: I guess it's like anywhere with a tourist Season ... the region needs it but the locals look forward to the end of it most of all. I usually flee Devon in July and August (well it usually rains for 6 weeks straight !) but this year things are a bit topsy-turvy. Whilst the sunshine is welcome what comes with it is pretty ugly !

Last edited:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Padstow itself was packed like it always is. North Devon is much less busy and has a beauty all its own. Plus there is fantastic cycling to be had on and off road. Quite different to the traditional holiday spots of the South - which I agree are generally best enjoyed out of season. One of few holiday hotspots in the north of the county is Clovelly which I visited earlier in the year.
Harbour 2.jpg

The beach at Instow is rarely that busy.

Instow Beach.jpg

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Lovely weekend. Did the Camel Trail yesterday from Bodmin to Padstow (and back along some very hilly roads including one of Simon Warren's 'Another 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs' at Bishop's Wood - 28% and 9/10 for difficulty according to Simon).
View attachment 6284
Hi Jonah - Did you get up that hill? I've tried it a couple of times on my Kraken/8fun bike, but not made it up yet: The "milk float" noise of the stalling motor has frightened me off both times! That's a great area for rides - My favourite takes in Rosenannon, Ruthern Bridge & the Trail. There's now a mtb downhill track in Hustyn Wood, just nearby: I need to find a riding partner before I try that. though - One disadvantage of always riding alone.

Nice picture, but not a beach, as I'm sure you know, but the flats in the Camel estuary.