Anyone had an interesting ride recently ?

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Had an Interesting ride home from town today - As in "May you live in interesting times"...

Dangerous passing - YouTube

This is the first time I've been unnerved by slipstream & I hope it's the last.
:confused: ... that's pretty much what all my trunk road rides are like ! Isn't this abnormal when you get overtaken at speed ?

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Had an Interesting ride home from town today - As in "May you live in interesting times"...

Dangerous passing - YouTube

This is the first time I've been unnerved by slipstream & I hope it's the last.
Hello Jackhandy,

That seems perfect to me,(big lie) pity that I do not have videos to prove but when I go out drivers cut across me, brake suddenly, give me bad looks BUT! most shocking having a driver even slowly bumping into me and saying to get out of the way when I was at a stand still by a set of traffic lights.
I also drive a car and I am totally aware of the frustration that traffic jams can bring to a tired driver, but there is just no excuse for this action because I also hate driving through traffic jams.
I love you all xx

MS.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Decided to ride over to Lostwithiel, to an auction, as today was forecast dry: It's only about 11 miles, but seriously hilly, particularly at the far end.

Wanting to avoid the main roads & not being too familiar with the farthest section, I used Cyclestreets to plan a backcountry route. Haven't used Cyclestreets for several months & was delighted to find it now includes spoken directions, know as Live Ride.

It's brilliant - Everything I could ask for - Except that I couldn't hear the instructions as the phone was in its weatherproof handlebar mount :mad: Really frustrating, as I could hear it chuntering away but unable to decipher anything. So decided to try the bluetooth earpiece with BT Mono, which routes all audio to bluetooth... Except that it didn't!

Being tight for time, I forwent the spoken word & just used the map directions, which worked well but meant I wasn't watching the road as well as I really should & the lanes round here are hairy enough; so when I got home, seriously knackered after negotiating Lostwithiel hill & the one up through Lanlivery, decided to have a bash at sorting out the audio on the phone, as it's too useful a facility to miss out on. Uninstalled BT Mono & replaced it withthe aptly-named Mono Bluetooth by maxistar & all is now well with my little world :cool:

If you have a bluetooth earpiece then Cyclestreets is now really worth its weight in rocking:horse droppings.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I just plug in a pair of sports headphones and run them up inside my jersey. £9 from Tesco. Sorted :).

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Tried that...

Got off the bike, walked away & got me glasses tangled in me 'ard 'at when the headphones cable went tight - Looked a right tit :rolleyes:

Plus, of course, rain leaked in the phone case's cable entry.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Tried that...

Got off the bike, walked away & got me glasses tangled in me 'ard 'at when the headphones cable went tight - Looked a right tit :rolleyes:

Never thought about the interaction with glasses ... was all this 'observed by onlookers' ? :eek:

Had no rain problems with my case as yet ... but there's always a first time for everything !

D

Deleted member 4366

Tried that...

Couldn't you put your phone in your pocket, where it'll stay warm and dry.

My Headmaster at school told me about three categories of people:

Clever people learn by other people's mistakes
Normal people learn by their own mistakes
Thickos never learn.

Surely, like me, you're in the second category, so the wire tangled is unlikely to happen again. Therefore, the problem is solved. QED.

Next!

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi Lynda.Yeah I had a very interesting ride a few weeks back !!!!.I came home from Malaga on the Friday and had a good old go at the garden on Saturday and had to go into Exeter to get a few things for work the following morning and on the way home I was going down Fore St in Exeter ( very steep ) when a Lady stepped out in front of me and I came down like a sack of spuds?? all I can remember was my head hitting the road HARD and the next thing I remember was being held up by two men on the pavement and someone else holding my bike ??? and the women apparently just walked on with her headphones in!!!!A visit to the hospital in the morning revealed 2x cracked ribs a Bruised liver lots of skin loss to my hip & knee and also a pulled tendon in the inner thigh and I could (sorry) see the bone through the torn flesh on my elbow "lovely!!" I have a pic of my elbow !!!! but maybe not?? What followed was a month off work and when I went out for my first ride the battery kept cutting out n the hills and a trip to the dealer Axcess Bikes in Honiton revealed that the battery had come to the end of its life so 450 quid changed hands and all is now fine!! apart from the limp??. So quite a nice ride really !!!.
Regards Steve c

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Top pic looks like Ilfracoombe in North Devon.????
Lovely bright and blustery day today. Couple of pictures from glorious north Devon.

Buckland Brewer.jpgSheep View.jpg

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Member Cabo has posted a blog about a trip to Islay, with a very peaceful video accompanying it.:)
He doesn't seem to have shouted about it, so I thought I would on his behalf;)

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Cycled to church this morning and this afternoon I was at Westward Ho! where we usually try and go on Christmas Day if we are at home. Not too cold and even a patch of blue sky on the beach.

Westward Ho! 25:12:13 Small.jpg

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
On with the sun glasses and a seriously relaxing ride from Tewks to Malvern, by the slow route as the main road was flooded at Upton. Hardly any traffic, bright blue sky, fingers unusable for half hour afterwards as damn cold. All on top of a morning swim at Cascades pool - thanks to all the staff who open through out the holiday.

Beats TV and turkey any (christmas) day.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I thought that I'd better make some room for Boxing Day lunch, so popped out for a 27mile ride around Ashdown Forest and some of the surrounding area.
It was a nice chilled out spin, although as expected the roads were very wet and there was a fair few trees and cables down.
As yesterdays brief ride, error 13 showed itself several times. Despite being screwed down and also having a bead of silicon around it, I think that water must have somehow got between the two units of the control console and mount. It's a bit of a pain to remove it to look, but that is something that I can do tomorrow.

For once I resisted the urge to ride off road.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
With great reluctance I stayed on the road again for my ride today. I'd have been better off staying in warm and dry as approx. 15miles away from home and well into an already damp ride, the weather changed big time to ice cold rain and strong winds. The remaining ride of 15 miles home again was horrid.

Spotted blocking one of the back lanes.

Last edited: