Anyone had an interesting ride recently ?

OldPedaller

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2011
Went to the Republic of Ireland this month. The high spot (literally and eBike-wise) was a ride through the Gap of Dunloe near Killarney. You can cycle through the gap itself and put the bike on a boat for the remainder of the journey to Killarney town. It's a lot steeper in parts than the images make it look, but great fun.

Dunloe4 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Saneagle and I went out to test the Xiongda up all the steepest hills we could find down in Ironbridge Gorge, so three very steep climbs back to back. They're shown as A to B, C to D and E to F in the map below. E to F is the mighty Lincoln Hill - only for the brave. A to B had a steeper bit, but was shorter.

The Xiongda completed the climbs fairly easily, and neither the controller nor motor got anything more than slightly warm. Unfortunately Saneagle's 30 amp 500W BPM didn't quite make it up the last climb. He made the mistake of going too slow to stay with me. Normally, he'd go up at three times my speed. The end result was melted phase wires from the controller, which shorted them:

Luckily, we were able to unravel the molten mess and separate the wires enough to get home. I've now soldered the higher grade motor wires directly to the controller to avoid that problem in the future.

So, one up to the Xiongda.

Here's the map:

New Bridge Road (A to B)

Saneagle at the bottom of Lincoln Hill (E to F), blissfully unaware of his impending doom:

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Had a pleasant 12 mile ride with my wife today (just to 'break her in' after a winter of not using her ebike!) from Heysham up to Hest Bank and back along the wonderful Morecambe prom - a brilliant largely traffic free avenue next to the sea.

I can proudly state that when I returned home, my battery was still fully charged - and where I had left it in the garage:oops:

Reactions: EddiePJ and Jonah

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Had a pleasant 12 mile ride with my wife today (just to 'break her in' after a winter of not using her ebike!) from Heysham up to Hest Bank and back along the wonderful Morecambe prom - a brilliant largely traffic free avenue next to the sea.

I can proudly state that when I returned home, my battery was still fully charged - and where I had left it in the garage:oops:
What a miserable 12 miles?! I've done 15 today just shopping!

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Had a day to myself today so went for a round trip across the Bowland Fells. A total of 35 miles, and lotsa battery - there's some long hills up, and some wonderful rides down too, but they're hard work to get to even with a battery:)
I started near Ingleton, and headed through Low Bentham up onto Slaidburn Road; a great 'quiet lane' with few motorists. Passing Fourstones, and getting on to Lythe Fell Road, the view back of the Three Yorkshire Peaks, and Gragareth (left - modern Lancashire's only remaining mountain!) was notable

for the lack of cloud around Ingleborough's top - although, as you can see, it was an overcast day, with a light wind - perfect cycling weather. The pull up Whitray Fell to the Cross of Greet is ferocious, and it just keeps going for a kilometre - the last 500m to the summit is between 14 and 20%.
From the summit however, the reward is a fantastic roll for nearly 3km down to Cross of Greet bridge, followed by undulating terrain generally down to Slaidburn.

Light refreshment at the Hark to Bounty, and then it was a steady climb along the B6478 back towards Settle. Before reaching Tosside (a Yorkshire village now uneasily straddling the border of modern North Yorkshire and Lancashire) a left turn took me down to Gisburn Forest and Stocks Reservoir. I avoided the forest trails and stayed on tarmac and followed the single track road as it veered northwards, and once again got into some serious uphill.
A 150m stretch of steeper than 20% saw me capitulate; I got off and pushed (with the aid of walk mode, helping nicely with the weight of the bike) for some 300m or so, then remounted as the upslope became more manageable, heading for Bowland Knotts, at the watershed of the Bowland Fells

From here the terrain is a delight - 2.5km of steady downhill, a short upslope and then a further 2.5km downhill, crossing Clapham Common and dropping into the Wenning valley.
At Dubgarth I took a left turn onto Reeby's Lane, which forms part of the 'Way of the Roses' - a 170 mile route across Lancashire and Yorkshire from Morecambe in the west to 'Brid' on the east coast.
At the Forest of Mewith I turned north to return homewards through Bentham - three hours well spent and 2 10Ah batteries nearly spent!:cool:
And finally, for anyone interested, the profile:

The vertical scale may be a little distorted:p

Just edited to add: Total ascent/descent = 4,268 feet!

Last edited:

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Had a day to myself today so went for a round trip across the Bowland Fells. A total of 35 miles, and lotsa battery - there's some long hills up, and some wonderful rides down too, but they're hard work to get to even with a battery:)
I started near Ingleton, and headed through Low Bentham up onto Slaidburn Road; a great 'quiet lane' with few motorists. Passing Fourstones, and getting on to Lythe Fell Road, the view back of the Three Yorkshire Peaks, and Gragareth (left - modern Lancashire's only remaining mountain!) was notable

for the lack of cloud around Ingleborough's top - although, as you can see, it was an overcast day, with a light wind - perfect cycling weather. The pull up Whitray Fell to the Cross of Greet is ferocious, and it just keeps going for a kilometre - the last 500m to the summit is between 14 and 20%.
From the summit however, the reward is a fantastic roll for nearly 3km down to Cross of Greet bridge, followed by undulating terrain generally down to Slaidburn.

Light refreshment at the Hark to Bounty, and then it was a steady climb along the B6478 back towards Settle. Before reaching Tosside (a Yorkshire village now uneasily straddling the border of modern North Yorkshire and Lancashire) a left turn took me down to Gisburn Forest and Stocks Reservoir. I avoided the forest trails and stayed on tarmac and followed the single track road as it veered northwards, and once again got into some serious uphill.
A 150m stretch of steeper than 20% saw me capitulate; I got off and pushed (with the aid of walk mode, helping nicely with the weight of the bike) for some 300m or so, then remounted as the upslope became more manageable, heading for Bowland Knotts, at the watershed of the Bowland Fells

From here the terrain is a delight - 2.5km of steady downhill, a short upslope and then a further 2.5km downhill, crossing Clapham Common and dropping into the Wenning valley.
At Dubgarth I took a left turn onto Reeby's Lane, which forms part of the 'Way of the Roses' - a 170 mile route across Lancashire and Yorkshire from Morecambe in the west to 'Brid' on the east coast.
At the Forest of Mewith I turned north to return homewards through Bentham - three hours well spent and 2 10Ah batteries nearly spent!:cool:
And finally, for anyone interested, the profile:

The vertical scale may be a little distorted:p

Just edited to add: Total ascent/descent = 4,268 feet!
Awesome ride Phil. How did you get the ascent info?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Did a 53 mile round trip to Launceston today (in between the heavy showers). Checking out our stamina for our planned 350 mile London to Devon jaunt next month.

Lanceston.jpg

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The distance and time doesn't matter Helen. It's the getting out there and enjoying a ride that counts. :)

Jonah, I've been trying for the last year to convince my wife to get out on an e-bike, but her confidence on anything two wheel related is dire. In truth she is dangerous. But seeing those Kalkhoff compacts now has me thinking. :)

As for interesting/enjoyable rides, here is my latest. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-14#post-227321

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
That looks idyllic Eddie but be careful around those cows. This years colours for the Sahel Compact are charcoal grey or bright orange. Both in matt. Lovely bikes. If you're interested in a used one I have spare that I'm open to selling on.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks Jonah, I might well see if I scrounge the use of a bike before committing myself. :) 50Cycles have a shop about 25 miles away from me, and I'm guessing that they might well have a demo bike.

AS for the cows, they were fenced in, although most of the time you have to take your chances. I'm always very careful, especially if they have a calf around.

A bigger problem is what they leave behind!! It's always unavoidable, and I always come back covered, as does the bike! :(

Mysteryman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2012
Finally managed to visit The Kelpies and The Helix park the other day in my home town of Falkirk courtesy of my ebike...

Attachments

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
A few more photos from our epic 350 mile ride back from London to Devon. Exmoor, Bristol sunrise, Alton Barnes white horse and Windsor Castle.

Exmoor View Small.jpg Bristol Sunrise Small.jpg Alton Barnes White Horse Small.jpg Windsor Small.jpg

Reactions: TinKitten

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi Lynda.I regularly Cycle from Exeter to Tiegnmouthimage.jpgon my Freego Eagle where my mother and sister live its only about 35/40 mile round trip but it includes some stunning scenery and the rout ! is good from Exeter to Dawlish using the canal and past the Double Locks and Turf Locks (you can see where this is going??) but after the Turf Locks it gets a bit rough for about a mile & half (it loosened and lost all but one of the screws on my control box cover !!) ts then part road and part cycle lane and you go past !! the lovely Ship Inn at Cockwood ?? and then trough Dawlish Warren and then into Dawlish ( how many people on here have had a holiday around here !! so I suppose Im lucky) anyway after Dawlish is where it gets tough its one lone steep hill after the other and I mean long ( before the storms of the winter you could goo down to Smugglers Cove and cycle along the sea wall but its still closed because of the storm damage) the last bit is the best as its about halff a mile down hill and quite steep and I've got to near 50mph down here overtaking cars on the way down !!!!! (shut your eyes and pray??) but it is a good ride and the pics are of the area around the Turf Locks and Tiegnmouth sea front.image.jpgimage.jpgAnd of coarse you have to go back past the same lovely scenery and the odd Pub !!!!
PS the Turf Locks Is in the last pic to the left!.

Last edited:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Care to share the photos ?

We havent had any interesting stories of peoples rides recently with lovely pics of the countryside ....it would be nice to get some inspiration of places to visit.

I did part of the Sharpness/Gloucester canal last week (sorry no pics :eek: ) mainly because I got sidetracked into a pub in a beautiful village beginning with an F (?) where they served lovely mulled cider....so that basically was the end of that ride :rolleyes:

Lynda :)
does this qualify? went to Maldon with OH, then to bradwell, bumped along the seawall, wondered at the flat featurelessness of the sea and countryside, a lot like Netherlands. then, as we thought it was the end of an uneventful un-uplifting day we got lost, ended up in a various fields on the wrong sides of ditches, contemplated passing through the newly built/building bradwell nuclear reactor, became more desperate, contemplated a night of straggling around in the dark and finally miraculously found our way out. There IS a very old monastery built on the remains of a roman fort that is very spiritual/impressive. mostly the relief at not spending the night in a field next to a newly built reactor trumped any joy I've felt for weeks

Reactions: TinKitten

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Been away in the North East over the bank holiday, up near Stanhope in the Durham Dales (erm I think you'll find there's only one Dales and it's in Yorkshire), right next door to the awesome Hamsterly Forest. Usually there's some pro mountain biking going on, but persuaded the wife and daughter to do the family trail. It's not family at all! 12 Miles of loose shale and winding downhills. Her on the Ezee sprint and my daughter on her Viking eco stepper! Me on the carrera with the cyclotricty kit. Great fun all round, well was for me!

A short summary below. Worth it just for the wife's face!