Anyone know anthing about trailers ?

Caractacus Potts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2007
Lancashire
I'm thinking of buying a trailer so that I can leave the car at home for the weekly (if I'm lucky :rolleyes: ) trip to Tesco's.
I've been looking at Flecc's impressive contraption and I've decided I wouldn't know where to start ... so it's plan 'B' - unfortunately this involves money :eek:.
I'm leaning towards a 'Ridgeback CT2'
CT2 2-Wheel Cargo Trailer - CycleExpress
... as prices go it's at the cheap end - and that appeals :D but I can't find any dimensions - does anyone know how big this is ? can anyone with a trailer explain the pro's and cons (where they attach, 1 wheel or 2 etc.). I've got a Wisper 905e and I'm reluctant to go anywhere near the back wheel - Its a *PIG* to get off and on again - for that reason the seatpost attachment looks good. It also attaches to the centre of the trailer which seems mechanically better than at the side.

Any ideas ?

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Heres another u may be interested in

Bike-Hod bicycle shopping trailer

I saw a bloke with one the other day and I was pointing at him frantically to show my wife (she thought I was mad, and I think he did too :eek: )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The side attachment is much better John, seatpost attachments putting the nose weight too high up for stability. A heavy load can destabilise the bike due to the leverage a seatpost point has, and that's why there aren't many like this. However, given the relatively small size of that trailer it shouldn't be a problem, unless you're loaded right up with heavy bottles of booze. :)

Side attachments are often via a clamp that fits across the rear frame tubes ahead of the spindle, so not interfering with it. The leverage at that smaller distance from the ground is much smaller so loads are more stable.

I prefer a rigid attachment, but some incorporate a spring which can give flexing that pulses a bike fore and aft as the trailer and load moves. That's usually only a problem with a really heavy load though.

I'm not too keen on the bike hod which has a reputation for tipping over when cornering, due to the weight of the load being vertically stacked. It's ok as long as corners are taken slowly. Another potential disadvantage for shopping is that stacking the weight of shopping vertically like that can leave softer items crushed, not a problem with a flat trailer.

Caractacus Potts

Oct 28, 2007
Lancashire
Thanks John,

That's an interesting variation I hadn't seen before - especially looking at some of the 'specials' people have produced - I'd thought about taking my wheelie bin to the tip in the trailer (on the weeks where a once a fortnight collection is just not good enough !) but this 'Bike-hod' is a more stable arrangement.
Only problem is the price though :eek: ... still - I wonder if there are any on ebay ... hmmmm

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Here comes a daft question but has anyone ever weighed a weeks shopping. I know that varies depending on your household (and appetite) but I was wondering if my bike would cope with the family shop that generally fills the trolley!!

I guess I will have to add up the labels to get an accurate figure.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only way is to weigh everything at home Paul. I can reach around 7 kilos with a solo part week shop and don't buy booze, soft drinks or water, so a week for a four person family could easily be well over 50 kilos. For some I've seen with stacks of bottled water, coke and booze, they'd best stick to the 4 x 4. :D

Caractacus Potts

Oct 28, 2007
Lancashire
Flecc,
Thanks for that insight - our posts crossed - so I think I'll scratch the idea with the wheelie bin :)
I was thinking about the pros and cons of side attachments to the trailer (i.e. pulling it only on one side rather than in the middle but you bring up another point; if the connection is clamped to the side of the bike is there a seperate ball joint further down to allow the arrangement to go round corners?

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
If it's any help ..... I've just fitted a Mule Cargo Trailer to my Cougar Mountain Electric Bike.
At the time I didn't think about the attachment to the bike and it turned out that it was supposed to fit to the wheel. That would have been difficult as it was the side where all the wires go into the wheel.
My frame already had plenty of metal and two unused holes just above the wheel fixing point so I just utilised a short length of steel channel that was lying around and bolted it to the two holes I then attached the trailer to the channel (wheel untouched). Works a treat.

Picture of trailer attached to my bike.
Mule Trailer on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I got the trailer from Bike Care
Cycle cargo utility trailers, box carriers, Bike care, Mission, Avenir Mule, Eco trailer, Spokey Joe

Caractacus Potts

Oct 28, 2007
Lancashire
... but I was wondering if my bike would cope with the family shop that generally fills the trolley!!
Thanks Paul, Flecc,
Another good point - I was forgetting about the weight of all the liquids - kids' bottles of juice, coke, milk. After all, the bike must be quite stretched with my 13 st. :D

More thought required

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Liquids are definitely the killer for many family shopping loads, the rest is not a problem.

The side or top joint takes various forms. A ball joint occasionally, sometimes a double pivot in two planes, often just a strong spring which flexes and bends enough to allow the steering to be relatively unhindered.

Caractacus Potts

Oct 28, 2007
Lancashire
Footie,

I'd looked at the Mule Cargo - and it's a possibility (the right end of the price scale :)) - that attachment to the wheel nut could be a problem though - I've not got any spare holes in my frame - would have to clamp it to the frame - but still a possibility

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
John, have a look at the photo below of the prop stand on my Q bike. These are in most bike shops and quite cheap. Knock ot the stand leg rivet and discard the leg and that would make a strong hole to fix the trailer side attachment to:

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
There is a great deal of useful information and a Free Plan for a trailer at Carry Freedom - Award winning UK bicycle trailer maker.
A stainless steel rear spindle hitch is offered at £15.
Their City trailer is the nearest thing to my own and shows real ingenuity - theirs that is, but it tows central to the bike.
The body of my trailer is 20 inches front to back, 30 inches side to side, the nearside wheel tracks 3 inches left of the bicycle wheels. I do not cycle without the trailer and I have never had reason to feel insecure in traffic for 20+ years.
My drawbar telescopes into the frame giving an alternative length for long loads or a walking handle. The hitch is to or near the right of the rear spindle on my bikes and the seat of my class 3.

Dave

Last edited:

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Orraman makes a good point about a tow bar which also functions as a "walking handle". I have a Burley Nomad cargo trailer which clamps to the frame just in front of the axle. (The hitch is flexible for cornering.) It's a good system in that nothing needs to be permanently attached to the bike, but if I'm moving the trailer off the bike, I can't use the towbar as a handle, because if I raise it to hand height, the back of the trailer is scraping the ground.

Trailers like the CT2 or Bike-Hod which clamp to the seat post don't have this problem. The tow-bar is at a convenient height for hand-pulling, but as previously noted, it's less stable for cycling.

My other trailer is a Cyclone by Radical Designs. I use this with my unpowered Brompton. It hitches to a ball which needs to be fitted to the rear axle. (Just undo and re-do a nut, not too difficult even for a wimpy female!) The wheels have 2 positions, central for cycling or further back for walking, and changing them takes only seconds. The advantage of this trailer is that it's a framed hold-all. You can quickly stow away the wheels and towbar, then it's just a piece of luggage. Fold the Brompton into its bag as a second piece of luggage, and you're ready to get on the train. (But I'm digressing from e-bikes and shopping... sorry...)

Mary

danieldrough

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
Devon
Bikerev

John, I've used the Bike Hod for many years and have always been very happy with it. It has a large,easily detachable bag. The trailer has always been very stable when loaded and at speed. More recently,I've purchased a suitcase trailer from BicycleR Evolution Bike Trailers in the U.S. It is very good. More importantly, it can be supplied as a kit enabling one to construct a trailer to meet one's own needs.Hope this helps.

Steve

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
My other trailer is a Cyclone by Radical Designs. I use this with my unpowered Brompton. It hitches to a ball which needs to be fitted to the rear axle. (Just undo and re-do a nut, not too difficult even for a wimpy female!) The wheels have 2 positions, central for cycling or further back for walking, and changing them takes only seconds. The advantage of this trailer is that it's a framed hold-all. You can quickly stow away the wheels and towbar, then it's just a piece of luggage. Fold the Brompton into its bag as a second piece of luggage, and you're ready to get on the train. (But I'm digressing from e-bikes and shopping... sorry...) Mary
Very interesting Mary, Im very interested in that Brompton setup with the trailer and heres a daft question (but here goes), when you put everything in the bag, do you have any room left for what you were trailing? Do you have any pics?

Thanks

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
John, I've used the Bike Hod for many years and have always been very happy with it. It has a large,easily detachable bag. The trailer has always been very stable when loaded and at speed.
Steve
I probably corner too fast, I've even managed to tip over my wide large trailer twice! :)

I found the Bike Hod with weight loaded right up to the top just tipped too easily, especially with adverse camber. Interesting that Waitrose are trying them for customer use now though.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Very interesting Mary, Im very interested in that Brompton setup with the trailer and heres a daft question (but here goes), when you put everything in the bag, do you have any room left for what you were trailing? Do you have any pics?
The integral Cyclone bag is about 100 litres. If I'm planning to do the stow-away bit, I need to not fill it more than about 3/4 full, which is still a fair amount of luggage. That leaves space in the top for the two 16" wheels, and the towbar slides in anywhere. I have used this setup to go by train from Oxford to Inverness, then bus to Ullapool, and CalMac ferry to Stornoway, with camping kit and clothes for a week. Keep it all packed for lifing on and off public transport. Takes about 5 minutes to unfold and get everything back on wheels for moving around.

I think I have photos - I'll check this evening.

Mary