Anyone out there local who will install a kit for me ?

KILLERDOG

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2021
Right ive just ordered a Whoosh bike but told i should have it by xmas. Now i have a very good brand new unused CUBE 29er sitting in my living room and i was wondering if anyone out there can throw a kit on for me. I dont really know much about bikes, and i dont have the tools or knowledge to be able to fit a kit myself. I want a 250watt mid motor with a large battery and a thumb throttle. I live in the Wirral area/Merseyside, if that helps. I could have a go myself at it, but i dont want to mess the bike up. Im a stickler and hate untidy wires, so hoping there is someone out there that has done a few conversions and sort this out for me. Thanks for reading this, Doggy.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
There is nothing to mess up, you are taking stuff off and replacing it, if it all goes t...s up, the old stuff can be put back.

I have just fitted a Bafang kit on my old Hybrid, no experience, bought a few tools, made a few schoolboy errors (not tightening things up properly) and took it to a bike shop to sort out a couple of minor issues, gears and brakes.

Not sure if you want the 250watt to stay 'legal' or not, but the thumb throttle will make it illegal anyway, I mention this because there is not much money to be saved (with bafang kits) by going for a 250watt over a 500 or 750watt instead. If the bike is going to be illegal anyway with the throttle, might be worth going for a bigger motor.

Plenty of YT videos and lots of help here and on FB groups if you give it a go. Good luck whatever you decide.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I did something similar by fitting a rear-hub kit to a new 29er, more info https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/yose-350-rear-hub-kit-transplanted-onto-scott.40186/

Fitting the kit was easy but as most of the wires on my bike run inside the frame it was difficult to find a tidy way to add wiring for the kit. Also be aware the route for the wires will need careful planning - my 29er frame is size XL and I would have like some of the wires to be slighly longer.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
There is a guy on ebay making made to measure Bafang wiring looms, that will reduce some of the wiring but you can't hide it all.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The rules to be 'legal' are such a rats nest. When I bought my conversion, I was under the impression that converted bikes that were older than 2015 had grandfather rights to be able to have a throttle as well as PAS. I saw on Fleck's thread about the law today, that this is not really true and that conversions need to either carry a plate from the manufacturer, or go through a test. Everybody you speak to comes up with a different answer - even people in the trade. Back in May, I was in the Lake District talking to a bike hire company, wanting to try riding a pedelec before deciding to buy or not, and the owner of the business was showing me 750 watt ebikes that he had for hire and telling me I could ride them on the road. When I told him the law had a limit of 250 watts, he got angry, actually told me I was talking 'sh**e' and told me to go somewhere else.... He was a proper charmer and no mistake.

It's a good job that the police have too much to do to be pestering sensible riders about their ebike conversions, because most of them won't pass muster according to Fleck's remarks. However, since they don't even investigate burglaries or fraud anymore, and hand out crime numbers and victim support telephone numbers instead, they are probably not that likely to be bothering people on bicycles who are riding sensibly on the roads. Those riding like maniacs are in a different category I expect.

My Bafang throttle is a good safety feature actually. It is great to get started on a hill. I rarely use it and never ride the bike like a moped without pedalling. If I want to do that, I ride one of my motorbikes.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The rules to be 'legal' are such a rats nest. When I bought my conversion, I was under the impression that converted bikes that were older than 2015 had grandfather rights to be able to have a throttle as well as PAS. I saw on Fleck's thread about the law today, that this is not really true and that conversions need to either carry a plate from the manufacturer, or go through a test. Everybody you speak to comes up with a different answer - even people in the trade. Back in May, I was in the Lake District talking to a bike hire company, wanting to try riding a pedelec before deciding to buy or not, and the owner of the business was showing me 750 watt ebikes that he had for hire and telling me I could ride them on the road. When I told him the law had a limit of 250 watts, he got angry, actually told me I was talking 'sh**e' and told me to go somewhere else.... He was a proper charmer and no mistake.

It's a good job that the police have too much to do to be pestering sensible riders about their ebike conversions, because most of them won't pass muster according to Fleck's remarks. However, since they don't even investigate burglaries or fraud anymore, and hand out crime numbers and victim support telephone numbers instead, they are probably not that likely to be bothering people on bicycles who are riding sensibly on the roads. Those riding like maniacs are in a different category I expect.

My Bafang throttle is a good safety feature actually. It is great to get started on a hill. I rarely use it and never ride the bike like a moped without pedalling. If I want to do that, I ride one of my motorbikes.
Throttles aren't illegal. They can work independently up to 6km/hr and at any speed above that as long as you're pedalling. More and more controllers now allow both of those conditions at once, so you can pull away without pedalling, then air pedal to keep the throttle activeup to 25km/hr (+10%).

Reactions: Tony1951

KILLERDOG

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2021
Well i have a 29er Cube normal bike but ive just ordered a Whoosh gran Camino. Hope the throttle on the Whoosh doesnt make it illegal. Shame the bikes cuts off at 15 mph, i think 21 mph is a good speed for a push bike. Rules eh....

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Throttles aren't illegal. They can work independently up to 6km/hr and at any speed above that as long as you're pedalling. More and more controllers now allow both of those conditions at once, so you can pull away without pedalling, then air pedal to keep the throttle activeup to 25km/hr (+10%).
Mine doesn't work that way, but I bet I could program the BBS01 to only allow the throttle to work to a low speed in all PAS levels. I should buy a cable. At present its speed is limited in the lower PAS levels (I have mine with 5 levels) but in the top two the throttle goes full speed and pulls about 600 watts give or take when you open it even if I don't pedal. I've only done that as a test. I always pedal in normal use. I only use throttle starting on hills and the odd time when I have found myself in the wrong gear on a steep hill,when I don't want to do a gear change but don't have an adequate cadence. Obviously, better riding skills would avoid that. I should also impose a limit on the top speed in the highest two PAS levels, because it will pull all it can whatever the speed in level five. I think I could change that in its firmware settings. I know you can do it on the screen, but annoyingly, it gradually shuts down above about 13 miles an hour, eventually disappearing, rather than just shutting off at the max assisted speed setting. It has been pretty nice, sailing up hill at 15 miles an hour without a sweat on. If I change it, the gradual tail off of power would change that. On the flat without a headwind, and no electric input, I can easily maintain twenty for a while.

KILLERDOG

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2021
Reason i asked if there was someone near me that might do conversions is because i have limited use of my hands , ripped tendons and more going on there. It would of just made it easy for me. No one has answer me on the conversion so im just going to buy another bike. Thanks guys.