Anyone tried these puncture proof tyres ?

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I use to run a rear airless green tire. http://greentyre.com/bicycle-tyres.php
There is a knack to fitting them, I think they came with a pair of green paddles used to lever the tire on. Together with zip ties it is do-able you just need to trust the tire will give at the right moment. ;)

I have to say the ride was harsher and at times skitich on wet slippery surfaces. I don't know if this is true for this version though.

I moved back to proper tubes when i got my new bike, then bought Schwalbe Marathon plus, with thick Raleigh TA411P Puncture Resistant Inner Tube. Bewarned short valves. To pump these you may need a locking nut for the valve, or a schrader valve extender. Finally i also topped up with green slim.

If you want to avoid the pain of completely removing your hub motor to fit a new inner, you might want to pop for the easy fit susage-like 'Gaadi Double End Inner Tube' as your spare.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I could see a 40c blue pair ( if they came in that colour) on my Blue coloured schemed Boardman , they would sit nice with my saddle.

DSCF0087.JPG

Last edited:

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Here is hoping they are as good as they say because a puncture on an e-bike is a major pain in the ar**.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
What bike do you have? They seem to be road bike tyres only, or have i missed something? Currently I have MP's on a Giant e-Road and run them at 30psi to smooth out the bumps..
I have a Giant Toughroads 1 with a BBSHD and frame battery.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The web site is rather vague about removing the tyre to fit new spokes and recommends taking it to a dealer.
WHY?

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
The schwalbe airless tyres look Great but won't be in the UK until 2019 according to cycle republic :(

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think an airless system would be ok if it had different levels of hardness. Really hard for the 120psi racer types and a softer one for the rest of us.
My bike was delivered with 100psi and it was horrendously hard but with a more sensible 50 in them it was much better.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Opinions seem to vary on the Tannus tyres, but there's no doubt they are the best attempt at a solid tyre yet.

I think you can get them in a couple of notional pressures, but once you've chosen which ones you would be stuck with that level of hardness.

Historically, solid tyres have always been hard on wheels and spokes.

Changing a spoke would be a nuisance since it means tyre removal.

I fancy a Brompton push bike for short journeys.

Tannus tyres on that would be attractive, because Bromptons seem a bit prone to punctures and removing/refitting the rear wheel is a faff.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Tannus tyres have exactly the same failing that all previous solid tyres have had, a single piece construction.

Conventional tyre carcases are designed to have good lateral stiffness with much better vertical compliance, thus combining comfort with lateral stability when cornering.

A one material solid tyre cannot do that, it has to fall down on one or the other or be somewhat inadequate with both.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
The market and sales would be incredible if anyone could construct a tyre that would work and never puncture.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The market and sales would be incredible if anyone could construct a tyre that would work and never puncture.
The one Schwalbe intend to introduce may be getting there, since it combines conventional construction with a solid insert. Weight might be its problem though, solid inserts will never be as light as compressed air!