Anyone use AliExpress regularly, what's your thoughts please?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I want to purchase a few items on AliExpress, but would like to get some feedback on this website first, before I buy.

Can anyone give their experiences on AliExpress purchases please. Also, what's the AliExpress Standard Shipping like for reliability and speed on fairly small packages?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Every time I've seriously considered buying something from Aliexpress, I found that the same products were available from the UK via ebay, for a similar price - there's no guarantee of course that they'll be sent from the UK, even though they claim to.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I could be wrong, but it might be much easier to get a refund from ebay - the trash power module I bought a couple of weeks ago for example: full refund. Ebay nearly always sides with the buyer.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I buy quite a bit from Ali never really had an issue, items that fail to turn up I have been fully refunded. Postage can vary depending on the seller but often one receives an email to say item has arrived in your country with a week or two then it's up to RM how quick they re - route it once it has left customs checking.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I thought you might be an AliExpress fan Nealh :D

Do they take PayPal? Can't see the PayPal symbol on their website.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I thought you might be an AliExpress fan Nealh :D

Do they take PayPal? Can't see the PayPal symbol on their website.
That's my other reservation with AliEx - Paypal is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority... I'm nervous about entering my card details directly into any foreign website, I know lots of high profile websites are hacked regularly and card details sold on the Dark Web, and operators of hacked websites pay ransoms to keep it hushed up. It happens a lot more than one might assume.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I've used the site quite a bit over the last 4-5 years, inc. a £160 battery welder, no probs, everything has turned up within 2 weeks without damage or issue. I think some sellers take Paypal and others do not, but this may have changed.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think some sellers take Paypal and others do not, but this may have changed.
Only fools take Paypal lol. Horrendous for sellers, especially if I'm buying ;)

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’ve made 11 Ali purchases this year, from grips to stems and frame bags etc, all small stuff really.
I paid via PayPal and all items arrived safely, most came in about 8 to 10 days but two took 4 weeks to arrive.
Just like eBay I've found the same item from multiple sellers at different prices, these days the price difference between Ali and eBay is a lot less than it was a few years ago.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies peeps. I've gone ahead and bought a few low cost items and it allowed me to pay via PayPal. Items are being sent by AliExpress Standard Shipping. Will post back with my experiences, in case anyone else is thinking of buying from them.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Ok, so received my order today. That's the 21st Oct - 3rd Nov, from purchase to my door. Not bad in my opinion. The delivery was through 4PX, which I believe is AliExpress' delivery group?

Ordering was a doddle, as was payment via PayPal. The app gave me fairly good tracking, letting me know most of the stages of my parcel's journey. It kind of faltered when it got to UK customs, telling me to ring a number to track my parcel.

Didn't bother with that, but popped the tracking code into Royal Mail's tracking website and it started tracking the parcel a few days after it had hung around customs for a while.

All in all, a pleasant first time experience with AliExpress. I particular liked the fact that I could pay via PayPal, for that extra peace of mind.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I, ve bought quite a few things on Alibaba and just a couple on Aliexpress. Experience fantastic on all occasions.
You tend to need Eori number for Alibaba but not always case and certainly not on Aluexpress. (it's person to person transactions, Alibaba is supposed to be B2B but you can from most suppliers get samples direct to door and cheaper than Aliexpress.
Awaiting some stuff now.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have had some items delivered recently and yes about 10 -14 days tends to be the norm.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I've bought 3 ebike batteries, 2 Bafang Mid drive kits and a few other smaller items from 4 or 5 sellers I trust with good feedback on Aliexpress. All delivered quickly (some shipped grom uk in a few days), and never any duty or customs paid. Saved shed loads on UK/EU prices, and the sellers have been very helpful with good comms. Paid in $ with a fee free credit card and got cashback too ..example here

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
A dissenting voice here......
I've bought 50+ items from Aliexpress. Around 5 to 10 have never been received and I have been refunded. There have been occasional problems with quality and delivery of correct sizes eg an an XXL cycling shirt was sent when I'd ordered XXS. Delivery has generally been faster recently than a year or so ago, but generally 3 to 8 weeks. Since Brexit I have always been charged VAT.
While it's always worth comparing eBay and Aliexpress prices, the differential is less than formerly and the eBay service better and provides more confidence.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
A dissenting voice here......
I've bought 50+ items from Aliexpress. Around 5 to 10 have never been received and I have been refunded. There have been occasional problems with quality and delivery of correct sizes eg an an XXL cycling shirt was sent when I'd ordered XXS. Delivery has generally been faster recently than a year or so ago, but generally 3 to 8 weeks. Since Brexit I have always been charged VAT.
While it's always worth comparing eBay and Aliexpress prices, the differential is less than formerly and the eBay service better and provides more confidence.
Hopefully never have to go this route, but is the refund process pain free?

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I have used Aliexpress for a few years now, and its been ok apart from now and again, I get refunds ok but an odd few sellers try to give you a small refund even though the item is faulty. like other week I ordered a mini cordless drill cost £15.64 was ok at 1st but then kept cutting out or wont start, the seller offered me $5 refund which I think is about £3.69 I told the seller whats good of $5 refund when item is faulty he has now sent me a link to pay just 0.01p for a replacement. But most sellers give you refunds