ARCC Moulton and the Process of Getting There (LONG)

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Storms Barbara and Connor swept through Shetland over the xmas period, and I went out for a walk down to my office in winds between 40 and 50 mph. It was a mile walk each way and was really hard going getting there, but much easier on the way back. I settled down in the house feeling sorry for myself due to a bad cough, which had been recurring in bouts for a couple of months. With the wind gusting up to 90 mph at times I didn’t plan to go anywhere, despite the cabin fever.

In the run up to xmas items started to arrive in the post including a medium Topeak wedge, which is probably a bit on the small size for what I wanted to put in it. I also bought a small pump, spare tubes for the bike, replacement tyres and tubes for the trailer, and 3 spare spokes for each wheel, having broken a spoke before. I will have to investigate how the rear sprocket comes off to get a spoke in from that direction if needed. I couldn’t get the fulcrum arm off when I needed to. I have resisted buying another spare battery yet, but have been advised to look on eBay as they are somewhat cheaper than the ARCC, (25%), although some of them do not have a Bosch logo, so presumably although they look like Bosch, they aren’t Bosch. I also bought a stubby 15mm ratchet spanner for tightening the rear spindle nuts. I straightened out the bent fulcrum arm on the rear hub as much as I could. The damage had been caused by the safety wire from the trailer getting wrapped up in the rear sprocket/chain I suppose. I haven’t made a great job of it, but it is better than it was. I ended up ordering a waterproof box from Solent Plastics. I went for the larger one. After it arrived I did some research on it and it turns out to be made as a side bin for military trucks, so really designed to be used on its side and bolted up through the side to the underside of the truck. It is not a perfect solution as I will be using it face up, against the manufacturers advice, but there is a rubber door seal, which should keep the water out, although some water may get into a small channel between the door and body. As anything electrical will be bagged inside, if only in a rucksack, I don’t think that there is a great need to worry. I wrote to the vendor and suggested they make buyers more aware that the bin is not designed to be used upright. I said that it wasn’t worth the time and effort of sending it back, so as a goodwill gesture they refunded the shipping costs, which I thought was very reasonable of them. The box is certainly robust and should see me out. In fact I might even ask to be folded a few times and buried in it!

I always carry a camera with a me, a small Canon compact camera (S95 for those it might matter to). The problem is that I rarely get it out of my bag. To encourage me to take more photos I have decided to geotag the pictures and the system for this will be a Columbus V990 GPS datalogger, which will be carried in an Aloksak bag in my pocket. I have often ridden in weather so bad that I have puddles of water in my pockets. The Columbus V990 has a removable microSD card, so has the opportunity for water ingress, which I would like to avoid. I exclusively use Mac hardware for personal use. It’s Windows PCs at work, but I make sure that I wash my hands thoroughly after using them! The software that I chose for the geotagging process is HoudahGeo, which has a viewer for the photo collection built in, imports the datalogger GPS track logs, then marries up images to locations, which then can be viewed on a map. Why am I telling you all this? I was recently reading a blog about a couple of women who cycled toured on Shetland, and they went to places that I have not even visited, and I have lived here for over a decade, and I tend to be better travelled than the locals, about their island group. Their story encouraged me to get out on the bike, when the weather is better and get some photos taken. Adding mapping to them could make them more interesting.

The SKS mudguards, which Moulton resellers sell at fantastic amounts of money, and not fantastic in a good sense, have a drawback. Between the upper chain stays on the Moulton a bridge has been welded, which has a hole in it, designed for attaching rim brakes and mudguard brackets to some years ago. Sadly, the SKS mudguards are not fitted with a bracket to fit here so my probably badly warped mudguard can’t be forced to follow the line of the wheel. The front mudguard is perfect though. Neither of the bike shops locally had 20” mudguards for sale so a trip to eBay was called for. I found only one pair that had this bracket fitted at a tenner a pair, which seemed great, but as they are coming from Germany they have added £17 postage. I will probably just use the rear one. It was just a case of bending over and accepting the cost!

When I bought the Pearl Rivet saddle I made sure to get plenty of Brooks Proofide into it, and it has turned out to be worthwhile. The difference between this saddle and a standard Brooks B17 is like night and day for me. I find the B17 to be crippling. Without padded cycle shorts the 18 mile commute is do-able, but with cycle shorts it is not bad at all. I hide them under trousers so that no-one is faced with seeing an old bloke in lycra. It’s not a good way to start your day.

I still need to get the pannier rack modified to take into account the extra width needed by the ePod unit and battery. I will probably get this done locally as it would be unfair to expect someone to do it by measurements that I send that might not be accurate.

I had some shower caps delivered, which make great saddle covers for when I leave the bike outside in the rain. I also need to buy a spoke key, but otherwise it is all coming together. Gear-wise I have been suffering from wet feet as my Karrimor boots come to the end of their life, but as I got them, and two further pairs presumably mis-priced in the sale, at £16 a pair, I can hardly complain. I used to only wear Berghaus boots, but when they shot up from £90 a pair (RRP, but often sold at £68 in the sales), to about £120 a pair, I decided to give them a swerve. I have bought myself a couple of pairs of Karrimor eVent lined boots at £50 a pair from Field and Trek, part of the same group as Sports Direct, infamous for their staff’s zero hours contracts. Karrimor boots wear very quickly, so if you decided to try them expect to wear the bottoms out whilst the uppers still look new. Otherwise the jacket is Karrimor eVent, and waterproof trousers are Berghaus gore-tex. The hat is a cheap baseball hat, which is fairly useless and could do duties as a sponge, and so will be swapped out for a Sealskinz beanie as long as it doesn’t get too hot. By the time the commute is over I am usually sweating like a pig, but in the rain that we had in the run up to xmas, little in the way of breathable clothing would be effective.

The winds will be dropping to low to mid 20s over the next few days, so I might get to ride home on the bike at last, if the chest will handle the strain.

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Pre-xmas shot above with cheap plastic boxes doing carrying duties.

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
I use a non-smart phone that costs me about £12 a month for the contract. I find smartphone screens a bit small so I have an iPad mini. I prefer the quality of the shots from a proper camera. Whenever you see a shot on the internet the poster firstly apologises for the quality of the picture as it was taken on a smartphone. I do miss the convenience of the automated process with the iPhone, but evidently not enough!

D

Deleted member 4366

For £16 a month from Virgin, you get a Samsung G3 phone, a tablet, 1500 rollover minutes and 2 GB of data a month. That's all for 4G, which you have in Shetland now. If you don't want the phone and tablet, it's £9 a month.

Your smartphone does:

Phone calls
Messaging
Internet on the go
GPS navigation
Camera
Videos
Photo gallery
Bike journey logging and analysis
Bike computer
Shopping
Payments in shops
Smart remote for your TV
Smart remote for your heating
FM Radio
Freeview TV
Weather
News
Banking
Investments (buy/sell equities)
Translation
Alarm clock
Calendar/planner
Accounts
Music player
Clinometer
Home security (remote CCTV)

You have all those things in your pocket in one device plus a lot more.

I can't believe how many people are living in the dark ages without a smartphone these days. All I can say is that you must be either nuts or ignorant. Sorry for being blunt.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Thanks d8aveh, I like being ignorant or nuts.

Or both together.

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
The 4G in Shetland is actually a lie. We have it in some places, but not all. I think someone did a swift retraction after it was announced that we have 4G.

To cover your list see below: -

Phone calls - my phone does this
Messaging - as above
Internet on the go - I don't need this
GPS navigation - I have a GPS with a longer battery life
Camera - I have a camera that takes better pictures especially in low light
Videos - I don't need this, but my camera does it better
Photo gallery - I don't need this, but my iPad does it better
Bike journey logging and analysis - I have a bike computer and Strava
Bike computer - as above
Shopping - I have an iPad that does this better
Payments in shops - I mostly use cash
Smart remote for your TV - I don't own a TV
Smart remote for your heating - my heating is a coal fire or halogen heater
FM Radio - I have a Roberts radio that sounds better (no digital radio here)
Freeview TV- I don't own a TV (nor have I for over 2 decades)
Weather - I have an app on my iPad
News - Roberts radio
Banking - I have an app on my iPad
Investments (buy/sell equities) - too poor/too many bikes
Translation - no use for this
Alarm clock - I have one
Calendar/planner - it's on my iPad
Accounts - banking app on my iPad is all that I need
Music player - iPad to my B&O speakers
Clinometer - don't need this
Home security (remote CCTV) - I don't have broadband

"I can't believe how many people are living in the dark ages without a smartphone these days. All I can say is that you must be either nuts or ignorant. Sorry for being blunt"

Be as blunt as you like. Somehow I manage in the dark ages. Not having a 50" TV telling me about all of the stuff that I "need" is a great benefit. I am not important. I don't need to be connected 24 hours a day, even if there were a signal between my home and work. If I want to get on the internet I just get on a free wifi point at a cafe, work, ferry terminal, shop etc. If people want to speak to me they can text me and I will catch up with it later. If it was an urgent message to tell me that someone had died, I couldn't do anything about it anyway. I think people get too obsessed about being in touch 24 hours a day. I appreciate people not being able to contact me. It makes them think about what they are trying to convey and whether it is really important enough to bother me with. I spent too many years in PC tech support wth an ever ringing phone to want to burden myself with any further communications.

I also manage to do without: a car, motorbike, campervan, freezer, dishwasher, landline, broadband, shower unit, TV, X-box, Sky, Faceache and a raft of other stuff that I would rather not spend money on, but many seem unable to live without.

I live on a remote island in the north sea, so I may have an unusual view of what is important compared to others.

My Dad said an interesting thing to me many years ago "a multitool allows you to do many jobs badly".

Andy

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
D8veh, I don't need anything on your list. I don't think most of us do, it's a con trick. We managed quite well before the evil thing was invented, or marketed. I get free phone calls unless the idiot has gone solo mobile, then I'm expected to pay through the nose for the call, this I will not do.

I have seen people walk through their gate and then start to make a call, what is up them them?

I'm not having one and that's it. I could go on but that's their mentality, phones for you? No chance.

D

Deleted member 4366

You're both missing the point. You're both doing most of the things in the list in lots of complicated ways. The smartphone is simply a way to bring them all into one device.

An iPad Mini is just a smartphone without a SIM and GPS, and with a worse screen and camera.

Reactions: Alan Quay

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a tablet which is just a smartphone without a SIM. It does everything I need from your list and one very important other thing, it doesn't ring when I am out and doing more important things that require not being disturbed: fishing, riding, talking with people face to face... Wi-Fi has become so widely available now that I can call or be called via Google Hangouts for free in most urban areas if I want to (I don't).

If I am knocked off my bike and lying bloodied by the roadside someone will most probably call and if they don't that will be my destiny...

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
The smartphone is a multi purpose way of doing things badly. What's the point of squinting at a tiny screen trying to read the internet when I could have the larger screen of the iPad. The iPad mini screen size is as far a compromise as I am willing to make. I wouldn't use the iPad to take a photo. As I said back at the beginning, see a photo on the internet and the person who put it there will be apologising for the quality of the image. The iPad mini can come with a SIM, but I chose not to have one.

The only advantage that I can see with the Samsung, or any smartphone is that they are trouser-pocketable. I almost always carry a small rucksack with me everywhere, containing stuff for work, waterproof trousers, an extra layer for the top half, room to put some shopping, a small wash kit and some electrical bits and pieces. In the very rare circumstances that I don't have the rucksack on the iPad goes in my jacket pocket. Only the youngsters walk around without a jacket on in Shetland, foolish due to the possibility of 4 seasons in a day.

I was wondering why I would have to carry a phone and it came down to work. If I was a top heart surgeon, a member of the emergency services, a lifeboat crewman, or any emergency on-call position where lives matter, but there is still the lack of coverage up here. What is important to you is less important to me.

You mentioned the offer from Virgin. My contract is with Virgin so I am well aware of their cover. At home I have cover, although when we get outages, usually for days, and due to the weather, this is frustrating. At work, in the capital of Shetland, Lerwick, there is no cover in my building except by wandering down the corridor to the other end of the building, a window from which I can see the mast.

If I used Facebook, then being in constant contact and taking poor quality photos of my dinner to post online would probably be important to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: D8ve

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I rang my daughter on Christmas Eve 'cause it's her birthday. There is only one spot in her house where she gets a signal sufficient for a conversation and then she has to stand on a chair.

But I'm in the dark ages, sitting comfortably. She's in Gloucestershire not the wilds of Scotland. How convenient is that, what angers me most is the cost to ring a mobile.

What's that saying, you can fool some of the people most of the time or some such.

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Smartphone technology, supposed to be at the bleeding edge, more like bleedin' awful!

Reactions: Croxden

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
As a cyclist the wind is your enemy. As a long-time touring cyclist, and one who carried camping gear around for over forty years, I found that porridge was the best food for energy in that its benefits lasted a long time. Not for nothing do the Newfoundlanders call it "work food". Bananas are also good for this and are much better than snacks while cycling.
Even here in central Scotland it sees to me that it's now much more windy and there is seldom a day where there is no wind. As I approach eighty I seem to be looking for excuses not to cycle....my decrepit state and age I imagine.
Here's hoping you feel a little better soon and your weather improves.

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Couldn't agree more on the porage and banana. Great foods to set you up for the day and to keep you going on long rides.

D

Deleted member 4366

The smartphone is a multi purpose way of doing things badly. What's the point of squinting at a tiny screen trying to read the internet when I could have the larger screen of the iPad. The iPad mini screen size is as far a compromise as I am willing to make. I wouldn't use the iPad to take a photo. As I said back at the beginning, see a photo on the internet and the person who put it there will be apologising for the quality of the image. The iPad mini can come with a SIM, but I chose not to have one.

The only advantage that I can see with the Samsung, or any smartphone is that they are trouser-pocketable. I almost always carry a small rucksack with me everywhere, containing stuff for work, waterproof trousers, an extra layer for the top half, room to put some shopping, a small wash kit and some electrical bits and pieces. In the very rare circumstances that I don't have the rucksack on the iPad goes in my jacket pocket. Only the youngsters walk around without a jacket on in Shetland, foolish due to the possibility of 4 seasons in a day.

I was wondering why I would have to carry a phone and it came down to work. If I was a top heart surgeon, a member of the emergency services, a lifeboat crewman, or any emergency on-call position where lives matter, but there is still the lack of coverage up here. What is important to you is less important to me.

You mentioned the offer from Virgin. My contract is with Virgin so I am well aware of their cover. At home I have cover, although when we get outages, usually for days, and due to the weather, this is frustrating. At work, in the capital of Shetland, Lerwick, there is no cover in my building except by wandering down the corridor to the other end of the building, a window from which I can see the mast.

If I used Facebook, then being in constant contact and taking poor quality photos of my dinner to post online would probably be important to me.
Hmmm! It seems that you make a strong case that you're not ignorant. That only leaves nuts then!

• :D
Reactions: Croxden

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Yep, nuts for wanting better quality. I am sure that it will make sense to someone - probably not you though!

Reactions: atheo

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have a tablet which is just a smartphone without a SIM. It does everything I need from your list and one very important other thing, it doesn't ring when I am out and doing more important things that require not being disturbed: fishing, riding, talking with people face to face... Wi-Fi has become so widely available now that I can call or be called via Google Hangouts for free in most urban areas if I want to (I don't).

If I am knocked off my bike and lying bloodied by the roadside someone will most probably call and if they don't that will be my destiny...
If it is a smartphone you have without a SIM rather than a tablet, then the good news is that it should be capable of making emergency calls. A tablet is not a smartphone as it is missing the GSM radio electronics.
The smartphones, indeed all 3g and later operate by linking up with cell towers. If you do not have a SIM, you will not normally be allowed to receive or make calls, .. these are access decisions not operational decisions. The phone should have the emergency number activated irrespective of the existence of the SIM