Are offroad ebikes becoming acceptable?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
We're having a few days away on Exmoor & this afternoon were walking down Hawk Coombe into Porlock, when a flock of fit-looking blokes on, mostly high-end, mtbs came charging past on their way up the coombe.

It was good to have them all thank us for moving over & keeping the dog sat as they passed - And even better to spot a Haibike in the midst of 'em - apparently totally accepted.

Couldn't hear any motor noise, by the way.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Mountain bikers are a far more easy going and tolerant crowd than roadies. They're all usually happy in their own skin (rather than a second one - in matching colorway), out for a good time and don't feel the need to run in packs .. unless they fancy a bit of company. It doesn't surprise me in the least that eBikes are welcomed with open arms into a mountain-biking group.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I've been out off road quite a lot recently and not had a problem at all. Had a few good natured barbs but mostly people are just curious about it.

Oh, and of course they want to know if it charges whilstyou pedal!

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
YES - Is the answer!

I started selling eBikes to the older generation with duchess style eBikes with wrap back bars. (Still do of course).

Now I sell a lot to serious mountain bikers in their 20's who wish to go out riding all day!

With things like this on the market -

Even the magazines are taking notice too! ;)

Regards
Martin

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
YES - Is the answer!
Sorry Martin, as much as I'd lie to agree with you, I have to disagree with you on this one. :(

Riding with friends on bridleways and cycle paths aside, the fact of the matter is that 'NO' e-mtb's have not become acceptable in the sense of the word in relation to other mtb users, which you appeared to be angling at..

E-bikes as whole aren't yet readily accepted in the UK and I seriously doubt that they ever will be. The e-mtb scene is no different in this respect. The UK public just isn't open minded enough.

How many e-mtb's are being used in a competitive nature or entering organised mtb events on their bikes. Myself aside, I don't know of any and I can see why.
At the two Wiggle events the BH hardly raised any interest because of it's low key appearance, positive comments were given by several 'older' riders, and only a few tongue in cheek adverse comments were made. Wiggle can't really say too much as a company, as they are authorised Haibike e-mtb dealers.
The UK Cycling Events solely operated ride that I entered using the Haibike was completely different. This started as soon as the bike was taken from the van. The reception was very frosty from the outset and almost everyone was negative towards the bike being battery powered. I lost count of how many people shouted adverse comments during the ride, and I gave up even responding. The Haibike stuck out like a sore thumb, which is clearly the reason for the reactions. No way can you possible say that e-mtb's are accepted.
I'll have to wait and see what reaction I get at the next Evans organised e-mtb ride.

I'd be more than happy for you prove me wrong by seeing you enter either of these two events, and not come away after either being refused a start or by being hounded with abuse. The events chosen for close proximity purposes only.

http://www.brightonbigdog.com/
http://www.gorrick.com/index.php

Even the magazines are taking notice too! ;)
In reference to the mtb mags, what you have forgotten to mention with this statement is that yes MTB magazines are starting to review e-mtbs, but without fail, all follow up letters by readers are negative, and pretty much all forum threads relating to these reviews are also very negative and aggressive. Even to the degree of one forum member threatening to kick any e-mtb riders from their bike if they ever saw one on the trails.
Feed back from lads that regularly use parks such as Afan, all make it quite clear that e-mtbs aren't welcome.

Again you could prove me wrong in this respect by posting up a photo etc of the above bike on each of the following forums, in the readers rides or thinking of buying topic headings.. I again can sadly pretty much guarantee that you will be wishing that you hadn't. Trust me I have tried.

Chosen because of their magazine connections

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40058
http://www.mbr.co.uk/forums/

Chosen because the mtb connection .

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/bike-chat

Last edited:

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Acceptable to who?

I use an e-MTB offroad for geocaching, and it's totally acceptable to me, and to every other geocacher that I've spoken to (They are mostly on foot, a few on bikes). Why should I care what someone (who is doing something completely different for his fun) thinks?

That's like saying that people who get their fun from running, disapprove of people who "cheat by cycling".

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
So from the above can it be summed up as:-

Q. Are offroad ebikes becoming acceptable?
A. Yes

Q. Are offroad ebikes becoming acceptable on organised MTB events?
A. No

??

They are certainly acceptable to me anyway! Maybe we should have a few organised e-MTB events?

Last edited:

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
I don't think I'll ever go on an organised MTB event.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I don't think I'll ever go on an organised MTB event.

Sadly that's the point.
The riders who go to organised events, are the same riders that ride at mtb centres throughout the UK, the same riders who read mtb mags and reviews, the same riders who grill any e-mtb owner that dare to venture onto their forums, and are the same mtb riders who are going to call you a cheat, where ever you are seen to be riding.

These riders are the majority, who strongly believe that if you can't pedal it or push it, then you shouldn't be out riding at all.

I would imagine that percentage wise, e-mtb's would look like a spec of dust on a UK annual bike sales chart.

The following isn't in no way meant as a swipe at you, as I'm just making a generalisation. :)

Sadly giving up and saying that you wouldn't ride at an organised event, is exactly what MTB riders would like, and is exactly the reason why we should all be taking part in them. I'd really love Martins 'YES' to be true, and the only way that it will ever gradually happen is by getting out there, and trying to convert people. I've succeeded in this already with sales going to my local dealer, so it is possible, but it isn't an easy thing to do.
We already no how much fun that these bikes are, as would anyone that visits the likes of Martins shop to try one. It's just a shame that other mtb riders have to be so anti them, and forum wise, so aggressive about things when the word e-mtb is brought up..

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's just a shame that other mtb riders have to be so anti them, and forum wise, so aggressive about things when the word e-mtb is brought up..
This is an old problem in cycling. The penny-farthing enthusiasts are not welcome at any other cycling events and recumbent bikes and trikes are also discriminated against, not least by the UCI. Their opposition to recumbents dates all the way from the 1930s.

The only answer in both cases has been for those groups to do their own thing. That's how the IHPVA (now WHPVA)* and the national HPVAs came into being to represent the victims of cycling's bigotry.

Equally the penny-farthing enthusiasts organise their own events, they've even got as many as 130 of them together at one site at times.

Of course the comparative rarity of eMTBs makes it difficult to do that so far, but maybe we are getting closer to a possibility.

*Human Powered Vehicle Association

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I find the whole thing crazy. Surely all that we want is to have fun, so why should it matter what you ride or don't ride. To me variety of all sorts just adds to the enjoyment, opens up windows of opportunity, and should be encouraged, not discriminated against. :(

The rivet counters at classic motorbike and car events are just as bad.

A different subject but you have reminded me of this event from last weekend.

I sometimes cycle to a local off the beaten track village for a cup of coffee and cake, from the one and only shop there. It doesn't matter what day that you go there or what time, there is always someone with a bike to have a chat to. Talking outside last Sunday, one of the cyclists was saying that some of the villagers are fed up with cyclists using the shop as a stop point.
As the shop owner pointed out, without the cyclists the shop would close. My guess is that these same moaners would then be moaning because the shop has shut down.
You just can't win.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRS and flecc

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
I'm not "giving up and not attending an organised MTB event", it's just not something I'd want to do. I don't go to football matches, either, but it isn't because they'd call me a cheat, it's because I'd be so bored, I'd be sitting there reading a book.

I'm also unsure why e-bike riders think it's a good idea to "spread the word". Some things are better when not many people are doing it. This might be heresy, but I'd be entirely happy if the number of ebike riders in the UK didn't increase. If we become more visible, someone will point out that "maybe we should be getting insurance" and someone will come up with the bright idea of taxing us.

Maybe I'm just Victor Meldrum.

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
This isn't about a mtb ride but a sky ride, I fancied giving a sky ride a try, someone that goes on a lot of the sky rides told me that my ezee wouldn't be allowed, so I emailed sky ride to find out. I never heard back from them so I guess he must be right.

As there are so few ebikes around it's highly unlikely that I'll get to ride with others, it's a shame really because at the end of the day it's all about enjoying the whole experience of cycling.