Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they dont do the gen 2 bosch batts tho ;(

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Several Yamaha owners on here showing interest in a new battery.

Does this indicate the early Yamaha batteries are already starting to lose capacity?

If so, that's a bit disappointing, and may be one of the reasons why Yam bikes are usually cheaper than equivalent Bosch ones.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
My Yamaha battery is 18 months old and seems to be as good as it was when new. I wanted a new battery to go further and faster.

• Agree
Reactions: IR772

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Several Yamaha owners on here showing interest in a new battery.

Does this indicate the early Yamaha batteries are already starting to lose capacity?

If so, that's a bit disappointing, and may be one of the reasons why Yam bikes are usually cheaper than equivalent Bosch ones.
With great power comes the urge to have a second battery, for £300.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
All sounds good so far, can you post up a pic of the new battery.
Let's hope you can get the bike out for a spin soon so we know what the battery is like.
I have about 1000 miles on my yam battery and it's still fine but at the price you paid it may be nice to have another one for extra range.

• Agree

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i always have two batteries comes in handy when you need to pop out somewhere again in a hurry and you don't have to wait around for a battery to charge up i normally make sure the other one is on charge before i head out with the first one

i had no choice in buying another battery because i tow a trailer most of the time and the battery does go down a lot quicker when you are towing a trailer behind you

i was going to buy the Bosch 500-watt battery but for what i needed the other battery for wasn't worth it at all really just pointless really easier to buy the other 400 watts which would suit my needs perfect then buying the 500-watt battery pack

i don't have a car i have no interested in having a car my bike and my trailer is all that i need

Mr Road Tax & Mr Insurance man won't be haven a penny out of me

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Had a ride out with the new battery yesterday. I chose a very hard route in Nidderdale which sits next to the Yorkshire dales. The ride is extremely rugged which starts off with an almost 2000ft climb which is not only steep but strewn with quite large loose rocks. Once at the top the terrain gets little better and still strewn with rocks plus deep ruts. The descent is then still rocky but with bogs and soft ground thrown in. So still needed to pedal downhill.

I used the highest power setting 90% of the time and covered 21 miles using approximately 60% of the battery.

The battery charged up well afterwards and from the information gleaned from one short sharp ride I am pleased with it.

So if your happy to take a recommendation to buy a £300 item on the say so of a man you found on an online forum. Go for it

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
All sounds good so far, can you post up a pic of the new battery.
Let's hope you can get the bike out for a spin soon so we know what the battery is like.
I have about 1000 miles on my yam battery and it's still fine but at the price you paid it may be nice to have another one for extra range.
Great views of Nidderdale and bike with battery attached... Apologies for the Red bucket but it was handy. 20170301_123221.jpg

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
wonder when / if they'll do bosch gen 2 battery.
Probably when Bosch do a generation three.

Sounds flippant, but if I recall pattern generation one batteries only became available when they were either superseded or close to it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a place in germany will now recell gen 2 batts ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Steve A

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My Yamaha battery has carried me 6000 miles so far, approaching my second anniversary commuting and is holding up really well. I will be very interested to see how long/far it takes me before I need to replace it as I enter my third year of ownership.

However having an alternative choice to the expensive Yamaha replacement has got to be a good thing for any owner.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
My Yamaha battery has carried me 6000 miles so far, approaching my second anniversary commuting and is holding up really well. I will be very interested to see how long/far it takes me before I need to replace it as I enter my third year of ownership.

However having an alternative choice to the expensive Yamaha replacement has got to be a good thing for any owner.
I bought a 470 watt replacement battery built with Samsung cells from Allbatteries.co.uk, which at the time was on special offer at around £300. I think they are now around £330. Works great, I am very happy with it and not only have I requested a delivery date for one of my riding partners, I have also just posted a picture of it on the Electric Mountain Bikes section. The batteries do not come with logo's I have added them myself.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
did you ask insat if they could re cell it?