At long last, a quality mirror!

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
This is the best cycle mirror I have come across:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hafny-Handlebar-Blast-resistant-Automotive-HF-MR095/dp/B06XWRMZZF

I tried several different mirrors, plus a rear view camera with mobile phone display (the camera worked perfectly, but the phone display was indistinct and “washed out” due to ambient light).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Wireless-Camcorder-Rechargeable-Waterproof/dp/B072KQC7ZW

The other cheaper cycle mirrors were useless and failed to stay in any given setting.
This Hafny wide-view, convex mirror stays in place and gives a crystal clear view rearwards.
It can be adjusted easily to the correct position thanks to the ball joint and then the fixing bolts tightened. Once set, it does not move.
It is also the smartest looking cycle mirror that I have encountered.

It is comparatively expensive to the useless ones that I tried, but in total contrast, it is worth every penny.
It could save your life, so how expensive is it then?
Highly recommended.

• Useful
Reactions: BigG and LeighPing

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
This makes a lot of sense and beats glancing behind at speeds which could have you running into something or someone. These days, there are so many idiots crossing the road whilst looking at their mobile phones, that it makes sense to also have mirrors.

That said, look what i've just found ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07378J6CN/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07378J6CN&pd_rd_w=JuVKD&pf_rd_p=e2bfafb5-111e-4906-b089-5d691a51d45f&pd_rd_wg=Cl1YD&pf_rd_r=D9TBGPKED6EW8QAWAB1A&pd_rd_r=7e53ca1d-4fc6-11e9-b1b6-3b091b3644fc

Last edited:

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Ajax,
That Myklops wrist mirror has mixed reviews.
Why not buy one, use it and then report back. You can always return it if it is unsatisfactory.
I will stick with the Hafny, thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
I have just come back from a short 15 mile trip and I am even more enthusiastic about this Hafny mirror than before.
I can pick up extremely clear images of rearward traffic early and easily thanks to the convex mirror with its efficient, well shaped pointy design.
See photos on link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hafny-Handlebar-Blast-resistant-Automotive-HF-MR095/dp/B0713WNYGK/ref=sr_1_6?adgrpid=63142697653&hvadid=318229584893&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045864&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=11932748579984351315&hvtargid=kwd-294692042102&keywords=hafny+bike+mirror&qid=1553617335&s=gateway&sr=8-6&tag=googhydr-21

Reactions: BigG

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hafny-Handlebar-Blast-resistant-Automotive-HF-MR095/dp/B06XWRMZZF

I tried several different mirrors, plus a rear view camera with mobile phone display (the camera worked perfectly, but the phone display was indistinct and “washed out” due to ambient light).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Wireless-Camcorder-Rechargeable-Waterproof/dp/B072KQC7ZW

The other cheaper cycle mirrors were useless and failed to stay in any given setting.
This Hafny wide-view, convex mirror stays in place and gives a crystal clear view rearwards.
It can be adjusted easily to the correct position thanks to the ball joint and then the fixing bolts tightened. Once set, it does not move.

It is comparatively expensive to the useless ones that I tried, but in total contrast, it is worth every penny.
Highly recommended.
I don't know that model, but I use two mirrors, one per side, mounted on the handlebars, as at my age, you don't want to have to look backwards too much!
I also have a rear view mirror mounted on my helmet, that took some getting used to, but delivers a further and valuable look behind that I can modify simply by moving my head a little! It took me many rides to get it bent to the correct shape and position, but when done correctly, its really great!
You cannot have too many mirrors!
I also completely agree that NOT having such mirrors is tantamount to committing suicide.
Another point of worry with some riders, as under EU law, every bike is required to have a bell, and the rider is required to use it to warn pedestrians, for example, of his almost silent approach!
But many do not have a bell, or do not use it! I am happy myself if they call out a warning, or have an electric hooter, but the law states a bell!
Not having a bell, could allow say an officer of the law to seize the bike as not being road worthy, especially in the even of some form of accident, where a bell might have changed the situation for the better!!!
It is a shock for people walking, or even when other, slower bikers are overtaken, when a biker at full speed, drives through/by bikers and pedestrians with no prior warning, and I have seen a few accidents, where pedestrians, and the biker concerned, have been injured, and the law has gone very hard on the riders, as if caught, as many are uninsured, for such things.....
regards
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know that model, but I use two mirrors, one per side, mounted on the handlebars, as at my age, you don't want to have to look backwards too much!
I also have a rear view mirror mounted on my helmet, that took some getting used to, but delivers a further and valuable look behind that I can modify simply by moving my head a little! It took me many rides to get it bent to the correct shape and position, but when done correctly, its really great!
You cannot have too many mirrors!
I also completely agree that NOT having such mirrors is tantamount to committing suicide.
Another point of worry with some riders, as under EU law, every bike is required to have a bell, and the rider is required to use it to warn pedestrians, for example, of his almost silent approach!
But many do not have a bell, or do not use it! I am happy myself if they call out a warning, or have an electric hooter, but the law states a bell!
Not having a bell, could allow say an officer of the law to seize the bike as not being road worthy, especially in the even of some form of accident, where a bell might have changed the situation for the better!!!
It is a shock for people walking, or even when other, slower bikers are overtaken, when a biker at full speed, drives through/by bikers and pedestrians with no prior warning, and I have seen a few accidents, where pedestrians, and the biker concerned, have been injured, and the law has gone very hard on the riders, as if caught, as many are uninsured, for such things.....
regards
Andy
I fully agree and wouldn't ride any bike without mirror and bell or similar. However, it isn't a legal requirement to have a bell on a bicycle in the UK, which is a pity. Our rather strange law is that every new bike sold must be supplied with a bell, but it doesn't have to be fitted!

Those experienced dealers who do know our law do offer bells with new bikes, but most these days don't and they aren't normally seen on new bikes in showrooms and shops.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I do have a bell and use it quite a bit on shared paths. I went without for a long time on my manual bike, but the Motus is heavy enough that a bell (bigger than the Motus original) doesn't matter weightwise. However, I still find that in close situations I have to shout 'ding ding' as I can't reach the bell in time even though it is just near my thumb.

Reactions: MikeS

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
As d8veh (aka Deleted member 4366) commented on an old thread:

"Whichever one you get, make sure that the mirror is convex. You can see hardly anything in a flat one".

Reactions: artspeck

Erisaman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2019

Highly recommended.
I don't mean to hijack this ageing thread but have to agree that these mirrors are really good and I would be keeping them if I was keeping my bike. Sadly, my e-bike didn't work out for me so I'm selling the mirrors in the Classifieds - not cheap, as they were on the bike for one week .... and didn't cure my balance problem :).

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkC

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I do have a bell and use it quite a bit on shared paths. I went without for a long time on my manual bike, but the Motus is heavy enough that a bell (bigger than the Motus original) doesn't matter weightwise. However, I still find that in close situations I have to shout 'ding ding' as I can't reach the bell in time even though it is just near my thumb.
Yes - The bell fitted to my Crossfuse is excellent - it gives a very discreet and polite ping which pedestrians hear without suddenly being alarmed. BUT as you say you have to move your hand along the handlebars to ping it, which is not ideal if you are on gravel tracks. Surely there's a market for an electronic pinger with a button that can be placed on the handgrip?
Mike

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I have the Mirrcycle mirror and it has an important feature which it sounds like the original Hafny mirror that the OP recommends does not. When tightened in position it can be swivelled out of the way for going through stiles, and my garage door. It would be nicer if it had click stops so that it could instantly be put back to the correct position, and although this Mirrcycle is quoted as the best quality my first one split and I notice the replacement seems to be designed differently to avoid this.
One final point on mirrors - there's convex and there's convex. Too much convex gives you a great field of view but can mislead you as to how far away the traffic is. (the mirrcycle is just about right on this feature)
Mike

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
I got one of those Hafny mirrors, but I found the view very restricted, basically, couldn't see much more than my own elbow and hip, but then I mounted it upside down, so it hangs below the hand grip, I find this gives an excellent view, also it doesn't protrude above or beyond the bars, so you don't have to worry about catching it on anything.

Erisaman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2019
I had found exactly the same Fishy - but had not progressed to fitting under the hand grip. Good to know if I keep 'em.