Attitudes to ebikes.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Today was the annual Glasgow to Edinburgh ride. I was in amongst it for about 15 miles. On one hill leaving a village I overtook every bike on the hill. The road then undulates gently for a few miles. On this part I became aware of 2 cyclists alongside me, close and keeping pace. As we reached an incline the speed dropped below the cut in speed. As the motor whirred into life one said the the other, " Aye, I can hear it, it is one" The other replied, "well, it seems to do the job". Then they pushed on ahead.

A couple of miles later is another village with a longish hill out of it. You can get a good speed up on a slope before the climb so I went for it. 25mph round the bend and starting to climb. The amount of bikes on the hill though soon forced me to slow down. Just as I was dropping down below the magic 15.5 mph, one of the cyclists beside me said to me, "I could do without this hill it's killing me" I merely replied, "you could do with one of these" The motor cut in and the Typhoon slowed no more. "Awesome" he shouted. His mate said "Is that one of those electric bikes? I want one"

It seems people are softening to us. ;)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Should've punched them both in the face and returned the animosity to normal :p
These were young men who were cycling 50 miles. I'm too old to roll about with young chaps. ;)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have not had any bad experiences from Lycras (They all totally ignore me)
Other people are fascinated, some ask for a ride.
During the very early days of CB radio, I felt like a prat talking into a black box hand held set.
Soon went.
Then came mobile phones, again an odd feeling using them in public,
Soon went.
Now ebikes are becoming numerous enough for people to have seen one.
Shouts of cheating will diminish as people realise that your bike is just yet another ebike.

Reactions: jonathan75

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
During the very early days of CB radio, I felt like a prat talking into a black box hand held set.
I remember those days well. I used to buy CB radios from jumble sales, but the hobby didn't last long, coz I couldn't afford a high amp regulated transformer and I ended up using a Scalextric transformer IIRC.

The users at the other end used to complain that I sounded like a Dalek, so I gave it up lol

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Last Friday I was riding up my hill on the way to the train station and near the top passed a 50+ lycra with a cherry "bonjour". He immediately got out of the seat jumped on my wheel and followed me to the top passing me with much satisfaction on the crest. Now was he annoyed because I was seated, wearing jeans and a wool jumper (it was a chilly 21°C)? He looked back to see if I was coming after him on the way down but unfortunately (for him) I was only going to the station, not racing... :p

I can't wait to get a 28" wheel bike so that the motor and battery's extra weight helps me go faster downhill too :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
try flying past um at 30 mph not 1 can over take me its funny as fook a 21 kilo bike nukes a 6k cf race bike they go fkn mad trying to catch me huff n puffing

all them ppl must have road rage problems lol

Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
try flying past um at 30 mph not 1 can over take me its funny as fook a 21 kilo bike nukes a 6k cf race bike they go fkn mad trying to catch me huff n puffing

Ha ha, I knew you wouldn't disappoint us soundwave :D

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011

Well, I didn't understand a word of that

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
TURBO ;)

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Apparently there are ebikers on my local London Cycle Campaign group who do group rides each week, people are fine with it I'm told. Definitely want to join.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I agree with the thought that ebikes are now much more common than a few years ago, so the chances of being harangued by a lycra hero are much less.

Even then, it was only a minority of egotistic riders.

Most appreciated the camaraderie of seeing a fellow "cyclist", albeit one that was "cheating".... :rolleyes: