Automatic hub gears?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anyone with experience or knowledge of an automatic 2-speed hub gear? Shimano, I think. Considering use with J's trike. TIA, Tom
It's an SRAM product Tom. There's a thorough review of it on this link.

Also A to B magazine reviewed the older Shimano 3 speed automatic system fitted to an e-bike and reported favourably on it.

Reactions: timidtom

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
It's an SRAM product Tom. There's a thorough review of it on this link.

Also A to B magazine reviewed the older Shimano 3 speed automatic system fitted to an e-bike and reported favourably on it.
Thanks, Flecc. It seems a worthwhile addition to J's trike. The trike has 20" wheels so the change up at lower speed would be ideal. I installed a 44t chainwheel so her little legs weren't whizzing round quite so rapidly so now higher gear should work well.

catsnapper

Pedelecer
Hi Tom,

I've made and sold a lot of custom wheels fitted with the SRAM 2spd Automatix hubs. They're reliable and inexpensive, with a new version that can take 32h rims and disc brakes. There is a standard version that is suitable for 20-24" wheels.
I usually get the traditional versions from our German supplier as they're the cheapest in Europe AFAK....

I've also tested and sold the FSA Metropolis 2 spd crank system offering a similar gear ratio. It's very simple to install, but is more expensive than the hub.

My wife happily rides her trike around our Spanish town (flat, with just one short hill!), trying out my various experimental hubs and wheels:)

Best,

Alan

Last edited: