Back to track, complete brompton maintenance

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I decided to install everything and have a ride to see how it goes :)

What I can say is.... WOW

I don't know if it's because I shaved 5kg from the bike, or if it's because the weight is in the frame, but the experience is VERY DIFFERENT

I can ride comfortably at 30mph, take little bump without hassle, even pavement are better now. No more wobbling on the front and better view on the road without the big bag on the front

It really feels like riding a normal bike, but a really nervous one. It's agile, it's fun, ahah :)

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
The US18650V3 are really nice cells, after I discharged the pack of 6.7AH, They are all ordered like little solders:

The only issue with these cells is that they discharge to 2.5V for full capacity. So I loose speed over time. After 8AH used, it drop to 65V under load. Quite a lot of difference compared to the fully charged pack at 76V under load...

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Next step is to clean all the wiring and cut the wires excess from the previous set up :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Cleaned it now, looks way better :)

Look at the change before:

And now :)

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I tried a resettable fuse as "on-off" toggle, it works like a charm :)

I weighted the bike... it's at 21.5kg...

It's really tough to loose more weight ahah. Thinking of removing the rear rack to loose a bit more...

Now.. now now.... I still have a problem. I've been thinking for a LONG time, but I can't find any way to have the battery easily removable and secure against theft.

Now my battery is clamped with steel cable tie so it won't be stolen, but anyone has an idea to make it releasable? Something like a quick release clamp that is not bulky?

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
bad news, for some reason the controller stopped working. I replaced it with a spare 72v controller and had to test the 36 hall/phase combinations and ended up with 1 that works fine... at low amp only.

As soon as I increase it over 2 amps, the motor overspin without any possibility to stop it. I had to cut battery power...
[video=youtube;adgZScp1WcE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adgZScp1WcE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Any idea what happened? :(

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Still not working Mac.

Anyone knows where I can find a gear puller for 200mm Mac able to deliver in france?

thanks