Back to track, complete brompton maintenance

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm working on the rear wheel now. I managed to replace the damaged rim with a new one. It wasn't too bad.

For some reason, I discovered a bike shop in paris and wanted to cycle there in order to see what they can do for me.

Big mistake, cycling without truing the wheel before hand has created a bent spoke :(

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I discovered the zip tie to true wheel, it really make it easy:
[video=youtube;F6w61ufBHj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6w61ufBHj4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I managed without too much problem to have lateral trueness. But my wheel isn't round at all. I tried to tighten the spokes in areas not round but doesn't seem to make any change...

any idea?

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I managed without too much problem to have lateral trueness. But my wheel isn't round at all. I tried to tighten the spokes in areas not round but doesn't seem to make any change...

any idea?
It's not a mile out.
Before you tighten the furthest out ones, you must slacken off the ones that are too close. Just a half-turn at a time will do.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks Scimitar.

Also, I didn't know the spoke on the gear side were longer than on the other side. I did a mismatch and had to un-lace the wheel to put everything back in place.

Now it's so much better :)
[video=youtube;G7BRS9d8Y-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7BRS9d8Y-s&feature=youtu.be[/video]

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Started to paint all area subject to rust:

Any idea how to have a smoother paint? There are a lot of paint brush mark on it.. I suppose it needs sanding...

Wondering if I shall also paint the chainset and the chain so no more rust?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I started to use sanding paper in order to have better finish:

But when I started to use it, it seems to remove all the paint and finish isn't really nice???

Is it not the way to have good paint finish???

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
DONT paint the chain or the main chain ring!

Jerry

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I was about to paint the chain and crankset. Then put some grease on it so it's protected against rust... why not

D

Deleted member 4366

It's impossible to get a good paint finish with some paints. The ones that prevent rust are the worse, and those that give a good finish are not very durable unless you want to use two-pack paints, which bring new problems. whatever paints you use, you shouldn't rub them down until it's properly hardened, which can take weeks.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks Dave. I'm going to wait for 2 weeks before doing sanding on it then... I was too fast trying to do it 24 hours after it dried :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
chain has finally been cleaned and greased:

Although the mudguard is rubbing against the tyre so I need to bolt it against the brompton rack to prevent that:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Now I need to sort out my battery fitting in my bag:

Because the pack is now smaller, it doesn't stretch that much the bag and it's wobbling a bit inside. I need something to clamp it against the bag.

The bag should almost weight 15kg with controller and kryptonite lock:
[video=youtube;qDy4KVcn4y4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDy4KVcn4y4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

It doesn't feel so stable and move a bit. Can I leave it like this?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
My rear mudguard is rubbing against the tyre. I need to lift it a bit and I was thinking of "stapling" a small aluminium sheet to it similar to here:

I'd like to bolt it against the rear rack:

Any idea how I can do that and keep it lightweight at the same time?

Thanks

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Looking much tidier cwah.

I would make a small bracket out of 1-2mm thick aluminum sheet and then rivet it to the mud guard. Or just find a generic bracket.

Jerry

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I've never used rivet before. What punch holes and rivet should I get? sorry for these newbies questions

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I decided to cut 2 small holes on the mudguard, and to lift it up via black tie:

It should help to keep it light. I hope it's going to work when I'll try it tomorrow.

I've also moved the kryptonite lock on the seat area to lighten my front bag:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Does the job :)

Jerry

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
My front bag frame has been weakened due to the bag weight. It has cracks on the plastic now:

The bag wobble around when moving the handlebar left to right:
[video=youtube;7F-Dsv5c5xM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-Dsv5c5xM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'm thinking to completely glue the frame to the front carrier bloc. Because I don't have the tools (or the cash) to CNC a new casing to replace the carrier.

What do you think? I'm going to do that tonight

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Ok, I've put epoxy on it. Let see how it goes tomorrow..