Backpack power

Wafty Cranker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2021
Hi everyone, I’m struggling to find a suitable battery pack to fit within my 17” Rockhopper frame and am wondering what your thoughts/ experiences are regarding a good comfortable backpack to carry the battery. Don’t like the look of the rack mounted ones, so wondered if the weight on the shoulder straps could be a problem after an hour or so or does the weight of the pack interfere with stability ? All views appreciated, thanks Wafty.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can but there not cheap just depends how big the battery is.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Put a 4kg weight in a back-pack and see how far you can ride your bike before you want to give up. I have a rockhopper frame with a dolphin battery in it. Before that, it had a tubular one. I think it's a 17" frame, though might be the next size up.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Would a bottle battery fit or a frog type on the seatpost?

Wafty Cranker

Mar 4, 2021
Did you find a backpack for your battery? Let me know.
No my friend, l gave up on the idea after putting the equivalent amount of weight in a very comfortable backpack l own. Was fine to begin with but after riding for half an hour or more it became apparent there would be problems so gave up on the idea.

Reactions: harrys

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Back pack batteries are a non starter and a bad idea from the off.

sandroforms

Jun 25, 2021
I use batteries in the backpack , but the battery is stuck in the support made of Styrofoam , so that it does not move and ensures a better position so that it does not hurt , the battery in a backpack depends on its weight , the heavier it is , the less time it takes you will be able to take it , I use it for a maximum of 2 hours , above that I do not advise to use https://youtube.com/shorts/fMaf6OZO5YQ?feature=share

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
No my friend, l gave up on the idea after putting the equivalent amount of weight in a very comfortable backpack l own. Was fine to begin with but after riding for half an hour or more it became apparent there would be problems so gave up on the idea.
Strange, I got a Rucsac from Go-Outdoors, that has side pockets big enought to take my spare shark type battery. The extra weight in the rucsac, 5lbs, caused me no problems at all.

But having carried much heavier rucsacs on a regular basis when walking, mountaineering and backpacking since the early 70s, maybe I just got used to it.

Dirtymortainer

Just Joined
Oct 4, 2022
I wouldn't worry so much about finding some unusual backpack allowing you to carry a battery, etc. Buy a military backpack at a local hunting store. Believe me. It is so comfortable and big that others don't even stand next to it regarding its quality and reliability. I have two such army backpacks that I always use, even if I go outside. Not only do they look great, but they are also very reliable and effective. I also recently learned about child-resistant mylar bags, and I think to buy such a thing on this site -- https://www.interplas.com/stand-up-bags/child-resistant-mylar-bags, and then you never know if my children will find medicines at home.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Do a search for the badger crash thread, see what happens to your wrists when you land with all the extra weight on your back. Maybe wait till all badgers are culled!

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Do a search for the badger crash thread, see what happens to your wrists when you land with all the extra weight on your back. Maybe wait till all badgers are culled!
I am sure there is a measurable effect, but how significant is it ?

The rider with the rucsac on might already weigh 75kg, so I wonder how much worse things would be if, as a result of carrying even a 4kg battery, they weighed 79kg ?