Bad experience with Kalkhoff Agattu XXL

gordonmx

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 19, 2011
@d8veh Thanks for your post. I remember you telling me about your experience with the Ergo XXL. What I meant by "confirming" is that another person would tell me they had the same experience. Your experience could have been down to the bike you tested. I don't really have much of an option if there are serious flaws with all of Kalkhoff's XXL bikes for heavier riders. Unfortunately, if I order the bike, my first test will be riding it home. To find a hill, I just turn left.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
There are some Evans Cycles sell this one
I did actually mean an Alfine one like in the link, but to suit a horizontal drop out, as opposed to a vertical drop out.
If the bike has a derailleur hanger then there are lots of options available.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Understood, but the devices I posted on are like motorcycles ones and I think so much simpler than having a dirt collecting jockey wheel.

As well as keeping the wheel in place, they are also a great aid to adjusting a chain to the correct tension.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
A nice option for a track bike with rear facing drop outs. but not much good on the majority of bikes with forward facing drop outs I imagine. I doubt they'd actually fit on my bike, if they did they'd be less than ideal with the adjuster screws acting on the curved rear section of my frame.

Unlike mine

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I understand that, but they will work on quite a few bikes with forward opening slots, the bolts used against the curved rear section of the frame dropout. On most frames the bolts sit against symmetrical upper and lower curves so happily stay in place. It just means the adjustment of the two bolts must be alternated in small steps and the adjustment range isn't great.

Only those frames with lots of plate length behind the slot or an odd rear shape can't accommodate them at all.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I looked at those a little while ago and I'm pretty sure they won't fit the forward sloping dropouts on my bike or Artstu's. I did see these on youtube when I was looking then too and they are designed for the Nexus with room for the non rotation washer to fit. I might try to track them down as they would be perfect for adjusting the wheel if nothing else.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Thanks d8 that looks like the one. Seeing it off the bike the non rotation washer will be up against the smooth surface of the tensioner. So unless another washer was used between the tensioner and the frame it would be pretty hard to get good holding friction and the chain tensioner would be what was mostly holding the wheel back.

One site specifies these as for steel frames only as well. I might ring the Dutch Bike shop in Littlehampton who posted the video and see what they think and if they have any.

Last edited:

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
I have successfully overcome wear on the early ProConnect frame with the stainless steel Surly Hurdy Gurdy chain tensioner. This works well with the forward facing drop out BUT sadly does not come with the necessary flat to act as the non-rotation washer on the chain side of a Nexus hub.

In my case, using a Rohloff hub, the Hurdy Gurdy is on the chain side and a long/substantial torque arm prevents rotation on the non-chain side.

Typically the Nexus hub will be using the Black/Silver pair of Shimano non-rotation washers with forward facing dropouts; one on each side of the frame. It may be sufficient to use only the one on the non-chain side.

The insert washer supplied with the Hurdy Gurdy is only appropriate to wheels secured with quick release spindles.