Bafang 350 watt BBS01 - could I sell it?

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
Hi,
I have realized that my 350watt kit is not road legal and wondering if I could sell it? I feel very very silly having not realized the implications of this and really need to do something about it fast as I need the transport...Thinking that I need to get a 250watt motor and wondering if they are going to be around for long enough to be able to get spares for the coming years...Feeling so gutted...when i got the kit I think I was too tired (single parent with small child) to really figure out that the 350 was a bad idea, just wanted some torque for the endless hill climbing.
Any wisdoms would be welcome...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
nor is 95% off ppls bikes on this forum you could get a 250w and dump 40 amps in to it at 1000w should go a bit faster then :)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
nor is 95% off ppls bikes on this forum you could get a 250w and dump 40 amps in to it at 1000w should go a bit faster then :)
You might have to forgive SW. English is not his first language, and the laws of basic arithmetic don't apply on his planet.

If you want to stay legal, stick it on ebay. There will be plenty of people willing to buy it, as it's unlikely they will be caught.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just run with it.

The Pedelec POPO will get all bent out of shape about this, but the practical reality is that you will not get caught out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi,
I have realized that my 350watt kit is not road legal and wondering if I could sell it? I feel very very silly having not realized the implications of this and really need to do something about it fast as I need the transport...Thinking that I need to get a 250watt motor and wondering if they are going to be around for long enough to be able to get spares for the coming years...Feeling so gutted...when i got the kit I think I was too tired (single parent with small child) to really figure out that the 350 was a bad idea, just wanted some torque for the endless hill climbing.
I think the 350w is the same as the 250w motor, but with the controller programmed to 18 amps instead of 15 amps.

I wonder if reprogramming to 15 amps and sticking a compliant 250w sticker on the motor unit, will allow the bike to be ridden on the correct side of the law.

I'm sure someone sensible will be along, to offer advice on if this would be a possible option. As long as you don't reprogram the 15mph speed cut off, then I don't see why not.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
You might have to forgive SW. English is not his first language, and the laws of basic arithmetic don't apply on his planet.

if its not on fire you are not going fast enough ;)

Reactions: Alan Quay and trex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

if its not on fire you are not going fast enough ;)
Almost correct, large round of applause!

If it's not on fire you're not going fast enough

There copy paste that and I get 0.01€ a pop deal? :p

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
before last year i would have confidently ridden a 750/500/350 whatever without concern re law issues or getting caught ( as long as you don't hurtle at 40mph in town in front of police who might wonder what's going on. )
however ...having received a driving ban and it affecting my insurance I would now only purchase a legal kit as.... if ...for any reason ( accident whatever) it was discovered I'd been using an illegal motor then more points/fines etc would go on my driving licence for no insurance/tax/mot etc. Many people don't realize that anything over 250W needs insurance etc and offences involved go on driving licence. I suspect as more e bikes go on the road as per the continent then the police will become more savvy re laws and checks will be made. Just my thoughts from a personal basis though .

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm going to tread carefully here, and I really don't want to rock the boat, but could posters try to stay focused on what the OP asked in his first post please.

He knows his current set up is illegal and clearly doesn't want to make it go like his arse is on fire.

Can anyone answer how he could make his current BBS01 legal, if that is indeed possible?

Or if the BBS01 250w is still being manufactured, and whether spares will be available for the foreseeable future?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The only problem the OP has is "350 W" stamped on the motor. The 250 W BBS01 is a tuned down version of the 350 W motor - 15 Amp instead of 18 Amp.

If there was a way of changing the markings on the motor and turning the Amps down to 15 it would be a legal motor.

The 350 W BBS02 is a different motor.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The only problem the OP has is "350 W" stamped on the motor. The 250 W BBS01 is a tuned down version of the 350 W motor - 15 Amp instead of 18 Amp.

If there was a way of changing the markings on the motor and turning the Amps down to 15 it would be a legal motor.

The 350 W BBS02 is a different motor.
Ok anotherkiwi, thanks for the clarification.

I suppose the only solution is to sell the current one, take a hit on the financial loss and buy a BBS01 250w.

Is Bafang still churning these out?

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Hi,
Try offering it on the classifieds thread on here as a swap for a 250w unit. worth a try and free.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Or if the BBS01 250w is still being manufactured, and whether spares will be available for the foreseeable future?
yes, Bafang are still doing them. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the Bafang's label. Nobody is going to make a big issue out of it as long as you limit your bike to 25kph.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It may be possible to buy the 250 watt controller from bifang etc.
And or reprogram it to 15 amp.
The bike would be in the spirit of the law with a 25 kph cut out.

There would remain the if you were investigated you may be at risk.
But it would take an expert to spot it was illegal if it had the right markings.

Sell it fine there are people who don't care. Use it carefully, you remain at small risk. Be an idiot and you stand a higher chance of trouble.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Going on what anotherkiwi says in post #9, the 250w is just a detuned version of the 350w. The motor is no different. So theoretically, that means all the 250w units are originally rated as 350w by Bafang?
The only reason they rate them as 250w, is that they only throw a max of 15 amps through them, instead of 18 amps as in the 350w.

Have I got this assumption right, or am I being a numpty?

If that is correct, then if I were the OP, I would scratch the 350w rating off the motor housing and respray it black. Top speed would still be 15.5mph and the 18 amp limit wouldn't matter.
Not having a 250w rating sticker on there, would be a very minimal issue if it were to be inspected.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Going on what anotherkiwi says in post #9, the 250w is just a detuned version of the 350w. The motor is no different. So theoretically, that means all the 250w units are originally rated as 350w by Bafang?
The only reason they rate them as 250w, is that they only throw a max of 15 amps through them, instead of 18 amps as in the 350w.

Have I got this assumption right, or am I being a numpty?

If that is correct, then if I were the OP, I would scratch the 350w rating off the motor housing and respray it black. Top speed would still be 15.5mph and the 18 amp limit wouldn't matter.
Not having a 250w rating sticker on there, would be a very minimal issue if it were to be inspected.
They are the same motor and controller. The stamping in the casing is different and the controller is programmed in the factory BUT a programming cable is available and many "250 W" motors have been reprogrammed to 18 amps (along with other values).

Actual Amps would be 7 A x 36 V = 252 W and 9 A x 36 V = 324 W with the 15 and 18 A being peak Amps available.

I would say: set top speed to 25 km/h and go about your business, no one is going to turn the bike upside down to see what is stamped on the motor unless you run over a little old lady on a pedestrian crossing...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 350 BBS pulls near max amps and watts according to my watt meter for this though you have to select pas 9. Generally though 4- 9 a appears to be the norm though 14 - 16a when climbing, the main thing though is to up the pas level to give more amps when climbing so as not to strain the motor and to keep cadence high. If you climb in low pas you will evenyually overheat and fry the controller.

Last edited:

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
The 350 BBS pulls near max amps and watts according to my watt meter for this though you have to select pas 9. Generally though 4- 9 a appears to be the norm though 14 - 16a when climbing, the main thing though is to up the pas level to give more amps when climbing so as not to strain the motor and to keep cadence high. If you climb in low pas you will evenyually overheat and fry the controller.
I think I get the gist of what you are saying but not entirely sure, what is pas? Is it pedal assist setting? I have mine on the original 3 I think and the battery died on me going uphill, is the controller in the battery? Is the the BMS? or are all my wires crossed...

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
My feeling is that I want to be on the right side of the law so if I do have a collission or an accident I don't have to worry about anything except what has happened which would be upsetting enough without the law being involved, I also want to get the bike insured and they state they won't insure more than 250watts so I would then have to decieve the insurers, all too much of a tangle, i like to rest easy...

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
OK I think I have it sorted, I just spoke to Jimmy at http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/ and he is getting in a device that works thru usb that can be used to downsize the wattage, he will be sending it to me next week hopefully so my bike will be legal, thankyou so much for sharing your knowledge, I think you have saved me hundreds of pounds and the support feels amazing, I will try to post about how using the usb goes for anyone doing something similar in the future, have a good week y'all :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
OK I think I have it sorted, I just spoke to Jimmy at http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/ and he is getting in a device that works thru usb that can be used to downsize the wattage, he will be sending it to me next week hopefully so my bike will be legal, thankyou so much for sharing your knowledge, I think you have saved me hundreds of pounds and the support feels amazing, I will try to post about how using the usb goes for anyone doing something similar in the future, have a good week y'all :)
That's good news about the cable. I use the same thing to tweak my BBS02 every now and again, so if you have any problems with connecting to the Bafang software, then post again and I'll help out.
The only issue I had was finding a suitable driver for Windows 10.

As for the 350w marking on the BBS01 motor unit. I would still get rid of that, but it is entirely up to you.

Happy riding :)