Bafang BBS01/02 33mm BB locknut tools (x2!) -— format, vendor?

chain

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2011
What are the two (2) different tools called that operate the 33mm nuts on the Bafang 8FUN BBS01 and -02? Where can I buy them?

The inner 33mm nut has four square indents. I fastened it relatively satisfactorily with a hooked wrench which has a swiveling C-head but you can get only a shorthandled tool in there before the frame of the bike interferes, so there is no great leverage and consequently nowhere near the required 35Nm on the nut.

The outer 33mm nut has many small half circle intrusions between flats about twice as long on its outside. Is this a standard with a name, or is it something thought up by Bafang? If so, who sells the tool for it? Mine is currently finger tight because I have zero tools that will hook onto it, and the famous scredriver and hammer will just mark a very visible, nicely finished and labeled nut.

If you can't diect me to the proper tool, please tell me what you used and how.

Thanks!

Here's a photo from a French board with the inner 33mm locknut on the right at the bottom and the outer locknut on the left.

hygroovy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 14, 2015

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there isn't a lot of stress put on those lock rings.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
The inner one is done up by a standard bottom bracket hook tool. I use this one (link) which worked well. The outer lockring is tightened using another bottom bracket tool, one designed for Shimano Hollowtech II. I used one of these (link) but from another vendor. Note the strange wheely doodah on the end is for undoing the security nut on a Hollowtech II crank arm which screws into the crank itself.

Michael

chain

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2011
Thanks, Michael. I was just eyeing that Hollowtech tool at Banggood and wondering if the little wheelie is for cutting a very small diet pizza!

I have several of the hooked crescent tools, which came with various kits, and used one of those with a swivel head to fasten the inner nut. But you'd need a pretty long piece of pipe on the handle to put 30-40Nm of tightening force on it.

I looked at the official Bafang socket kit for both nuts, available from an American vendor at US$135, but by the time it is landed in Ireland, customs and VAT paid, it will be getting on for half the price of the motor kit. That just doesn't make sense unless you're a professional bike mechanic.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My bbs has done over 900miles and the lock rings haven't loosened, I tightened mine with a rag and pliers.