Bafang bbs01 Fitting

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Bought the above to fit one of my two self built bikes, one is based around a ladies Carrera crossfire aluminium frame with Carbon fibre forks, the other is based around a ladies steel late 90's Raleigh touring frame both of which i love, but due to age and a pelvis held together with titanium plates, they are becoming very hard work. Anyway i decided to electrify the Carrera as its a lighter bike and after removing pedals and bottom bracket etc found that the bit that the pedals attach to would only go part way into the bottom bracket. It cleared the threaded portion but got stuck tight in the middle section. So rather than mess around any more i fitted it to the Raleigh frame with no problems. It transformed the bike and I am so pleased with it I have decided to get another one for the Carrera. But before i splash out again,I need to make sure it will fit by opening up the bottom bracket, Has anyone got any idea how i can go about it,preferably without destroying the threads so i can revert back if ever i need to. Or could i thin down the Bafang so it fits? Any help most appreciated especially from someone who has experienced the same thing.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's probably a screw in the middle of the BB. It's the one that holds the plastic guide for the gear or brake cables that go under the bottom bracket. Cut it down so that it doesn't stick through so far.

If there's no screw, it'll be the frame welds. Grind them back with a Dremmel.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Thanks for reply! Not the screw it was the first thing i thought of, but weld penetration is some thing i hadn't thought of, so will check that next, will i be able to get in far enough with a dremel, i had visions of having to get a 2 inch sanding drum and doing it that way, I thought as it went in as far as the threaded part that i would have to grind about 1/64" all round, not a nice job and sure to damage the threads in the process.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You need a flexi cable extension for your Dremel. Not just for this job, for everything, they are a life changing accessory, mine is always connected!