Bafang BBS01b help

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The main question in my mind is: could another component in my system be responsible for trashing the controller?
@jarob10 mentioned in post #7 that the throttle can cause issues:

I think something as trivial as a blown hall sensor (ie water getting into the throttle) can blow the integrated bbs controller
I haven't enountered this myself because I don't use a throttle, because they're illegal. When you get your new controller, perhaps don't connect that throttle?

Tim Howes

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2017
Bristol UK
Interesting point re bullet connectors - yep I used them and yep they are crimped on. Having said that, I used plenty of insulation - heat shrink followed by plenty of self-amalgamating tape. Can't imagine an arc occurring there. One source of worry was the 6V lighting supply - I can't use this so insulated the terminals (technique as above) but they are nonetheless hanging low and vulnerable to water. Could this be an issue in terms of damaging the controller? Also the gear sensor cable is not attached - terminated with the cap but nothing else. Perhaps this was idiotic?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Various people on this forum have reported poor reliability issues with Bafang controllers, but so far, I myself haven't had any which I han't caused myself. I use my 6V lighting supply, but have applied both 4:1 self-adhesive marine heat shrink and self-amalgamating tape to thoroughly waterproof connections. My gear sensor and it's connector (and nearly all the other connectors) are protected the same way - when it's little green light ceased to flash when I connected the programming cable, I suspected my conroller was a dodo... confirmed after sending it back to the seller. I did find that using just a cap to protect the unused throttle connector, wasn't enough to keep moisture out and prevent the pins oxidising - easily cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.

I'd send the controller back to the seller.

Last edited:

Tim Howes

May 18, 2017
Bristol UK
Thanks for that. Awaiting reply from seller, and mentally preparing to protect the connectors on the next one in the manner you describe!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Interesting point re bullet connectors - yep I used them and yep they are crimped on. Having said that, I used plenty of insulation - heat shrink followed by plenty of self-amalgamating tape.
Just in case, I'd inspect them for heat damage - if the climps are not very well applied, perhaps there could be some sort of dirty power supply issue?

Tim Howes

May 18, 2017
Bristol UK
Just inspected battery connections - look pristine, no suggestion of short circuit or intermittent connection there. However, during inspection I could hear a very quiet whirring noise from the motor. Then, on wheeling the bike backwards (engaging the motor with the cranks) it sprang into life, before cutting out again soon thereafter. I can now reproduce this: wheeling the bike backwards results in a restoration of power. Does this syndrome sound familiar or explicable?!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just inspected battery connections - look pristine, no suggestion of short circuit or intermittent connection there. However, during inspection I could hear a very quiet whirring noise from the motor. Then, on wheeling the bike backwards (engaging the motor with the cranks) it sprang into life, before cutting out again soon thereafter. I can now reproduce this: wheeling the bike backwards results in a restoration of power. Does this syndrome sound familiar or explicable?!
Feels like something very fundamental is wrong, given the two episodes in quick succession.
You could be right about there being a fundemental wrongness:

Link

Last edited:

Tim Howes

May 18, 2017
Bristol UK
Thanks a lot guerney for finding that thread for me. Sounds exactly like my problem. Replacing the stator is not something I'm going to be up for with 3 small kids at my feet. I will ask my LBS but maybe it's time for a new system

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Here's Greenbikekit's guide: