Bafang BBS02 48v 750w issues???

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a BBS02 48v 750w kit and battery from Eclipse.
I was originally going to go for their BBS02 36v 500w kit and battery, but they are out of 36v batteries :(

The reason I was going for the BBS02 36v 500w kit, was that I was a little concerned with reports of the 48v 750w kit having controller problems. Mainly over on Endless Sphere.
I haven't heard of any problems with the 36v 500w, so I think there could be issues with the 750 watts ability to dissipate heat. I imagine the 36v unit runs slightly cooler?

I maybe wrong and just over analyzing, but I'd like to hear if any members have the 48v 750w kit fitted and if you've had any problems since fitting?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have done over 1500 miles on my BBS02-750 with no problems at all.
I weigh 106Kg and the bikes over 35Kg and I live up on the Teesdale moors so lots of big hills around.
I am very unfit so use it hard including lots of offroading and have no heat problems at all.
Since they upgraded the controller from 6 to 9 FET I have never heard of a failure in the Uk although there may have been a couple in hotter countries.

I run mine on 12S LiPo and always make sure its in the correct gear for the gradient and the casing never gets more than lukewarm.

Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I have done over 1500 miles on my BBS02-750 with no problems at all.
I weigh 106Kg and the bikes over 35Kg and I live up on the Teesdale moors so lots of big hills around.
I am very unfit so use it hard including lots of offroading and have no heat problems at all.
Since they upgraded the controller from 6 to 9 FET I have never heard of a failure in the Uk although there may have been a couple in hotter countries.

I run mine on 12S LiPo and always make sure its in the correct gear for the gradient and the casing never gets more than lukewarm.
That's very reassuring to know Kinninvie, thanks for the info :)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I am attempting a 100 mile+ ride tomorrow while I have all 48Ah of batteries fitted then I will be taking the long distance bag off and concentrating on more offroading while the suns shining.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I am attempting a 100 mile+ ride tomorrow while I have all 48Ah of batteries fitted then I will be taking the long distance bag off and concentrating on more offroading while the suns shining.
I wish I had the nerve to travel that kind of distance. I tend to stay within 10 miles from home, in case of a bike malfunction :(

Enjoy your day out ;)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I carry a spare tube and patches along with Co2 canisters,a spare chain,full tool kit,2 spare wiring harnesses,3 sets of batteries,2 mobile phones and a flask of brandy.
If all else fails I have a mate with a minibus who will come and pick me up.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I carry a spare tube and patches along with Co2 canisters,a spare chain,full tool kit,2 spare wiring harnesses,3 sets of batteries,2 mobile phones and a flask of brandy.
If all else fails I have a mate with a minibus who will come and pick me up.
Aha, the last one is the best accessory of them all lol

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Got a BBS02 48v 750w kit and battery from Eclipse, arriving within the next few days.
Have ordered the hydraulic brake cut-offs too, so should be in a position to write a review on the whole set-up, once I've given it a good ride out.

Reactions: Kinninvie

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Had a little ride out the other day to get some fish and chips from Stokesly as it was a nice,warm,sunny day.

ps4customgamer

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Wouldnt adding an extra 1s lipo in series with that battery put you closer to the 48V you should only be at 44.4V with that 12s under load.

Im looking to buy the 36v 500w BBS02 set myself just saving/looking for a better price atm. I'm not certain of the exact weight of the BBS02 but hopefully my 12.5kg full suspension bike should only get to 20KGish

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
It runs perfectly well on 12s and its a simple setup with half a dozen 16Ah Multistar batteries.
I did try it on 14s but it was too powerful and made the chain skip on the cassette in the high gears.
34Mph on the flat is quite fast enough for me,it did 39 on 14s!

ps4customgamer

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
omg getting to 39mph on that bike is so funny. It makes me wonder what it would take to overheat the controller as its clearly able to take a few extra volts.
You will obviosly know what works best if youve tried different battery setups but I'm never keen on undervolting electronics even if is only by 3.6-8.4v.

I just noticed your bike upgrade from that old apollo to your cannondale the weight loss and bigger wheels must have made a massive difference.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
If you want your drivetrain to last any length of time then 12s is perfect for it.
I can get 150 miles out of my batteries at that and know its not going to snap a chain 60 miles from home.
There are 20% hills in every direction from my home on the moors and the motor never gets above lukewarm.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
The Cannondale made all the difference,its a much bigger bike so more comfortable over distances and the 29 inch wheels make forest running a lot smoother.
The biggest difference was being able to get rid of the rear rack mounted batteries in favour of the frame bags.
Much better balance and hillclimbing on 2 wheels instead of 1 ...

ps4customgamer

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Yes I've found with my 29er that the extra contact to the ground gets rid of minor bumps a little as advertised but also the tyres seem to absorb bump a little better as theyre simply bigger and there is a bigger chamber for the air to compress in.
People dont seem to understand that these rack mounts are a terrible place to mount batteries it would simply drive me crazy being so unbalanced. Ideally the weight of the batteries should be down near the crank motor but we all know that is hard and a pain to pull off.