Bafang BBS02 long term reliability

jonnybump

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 29, 2014
Hi everyone, new guy here.
Two weeks ago I fitted the above kit to my Cube Analog hard tail with the intention of cycling to the train station, catching the train and then cycling to work everyday.
After missing the first train on my test run to work, I decided to attempt cycling all the way - 24 miles each way consisting numerous climbs and descents.
To my surprise, I arrived at work only an hour after setting off - only some 20 minutes slower than if I drove to work.
Considering the fact I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, I have been doing the same journey for the last two weeks.
My question is, is the Bafang kit up to the job of covering 50 miles a day, 5 days a week on medium assist (3/5) on a regular basis? Is the kit too new to tell? Its the 750w model.

Thanks!
Jon

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
based on 3 years service life, for that sort of mileage (50 miles a day), you would be better off with a direct drive motor. No gearbox, less wear and tear. For 30 miles a day, you would be best off with a BPM motor, plenty more torque and cheap and easy to replace gearbox. For less than 20 miles a day, BBS motors are best in giving you both speed and torque but a replacement gearbox is not easy to source.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes. The gearbox will die sooner or later. Broken teeth on cogs, clutch seizing, ball bearings need greasing. You need to consider the trade off between best bits and worst bits. CDs are best on speed, drag and torque, DD is best on mileage and no need for maintenance but worst on torque and drag, geared BPM is in between. I'd go for BPM and replace the gearbox every 5,000 miles or so but that's because I can fix my gearbox.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Hmm - I'm going to be doing this sort of mileage (or approaching it - 44 miles per day) on a Bosch crank drive. Any idea how the Gen 2 systems hold up to high mileage trex? Sorry for the tangent!

Michael

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hmm - I'm going to be doing this sort of mileage (or approaching it - 44 miles per day) on a Bosch crank drive. Any idea how the Gen 2 systems hold up to high mileage trex? Sorry for the tangent!

Michael
I have managed over four thousand miles so far this year, no problems so far.