Bafang gear sensor

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
has anyone worked out what the gear sensor is..is it another switch that just shuts the motor off momentarily while gear shifting takes place as I notice they use a Y lead on the brake wiring harness.and if this is the case can I not just use a cable in line type switch..only thinking as I'm trying to keep this as light and tidy as possible..

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
has anyone worked out what the gear sensor is..is it another switch that just shuts the motor off momentarily while gear shifting takes place as I notice they use a Y lead on the brake wiring harness.and if this is the case can I not just use a cable in line type switch..only thinking as I'm trying to keep this as light and tidy as possible..
The gear change sensor is just a switch that disables the motor through the brake cutout input, hence the Y-splitter. You cannot simply use a regular inline brake sensor though, since they contain a single hall sensor and therefore only works when the cable moves in a single direction. The gear change sensor contains a pair of hall sensors arranged in opposing directions and works when the gear cable moves in either direction, i.e. change up or down.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's a bidirectional sensor. When the gear cable moves, it moves a small magnet. The output of the Hall sensor acts like a brake sensor, cutting out the power to the motor.

Here is the gearsensor on the Woosh Krieger:

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Excellent thanks for the info and picture as mine has the exact same cable routing. Looks like I'm going to fit mine the same. Are the cables fairly long on the sensor and Y lead or do they extend them I wonder..

willcee

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2018
ulster
Question..currently building a drop bar machine with mid mount bafang, i don't ride in a town or city environ so i was hoping to use a micro switch on one of the supplied flat bar cut out lever wires, mounted underside of left flat section of the bar ,there are 3 wires, red blue and black the red and blue are the ones i think that need switched, any advice from more experienced pedelecers..

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The sensor in the sensored lever is a Hall switch, it works much better than any reed switch. Take it out, the Hall sensor can easily be detached and used with a larger magnet if needed. Hall sensor has a North South orientation, flipping it 180 degrees horizontally will cause the Hall to reverse the active signal. .

D

Deleted member 4366

Question..currently building a drop bar machine with mid mount bafang, i don't ride in a town or city environ so i was hoping to use a micro switch on one of the supplied flat bar cut out lever wires, mounted underside of left flat section of the bar ,there are 3 wires, red blue and black the red and blue are the ones i think that need switched, any advice from more experienced pedelecers..
It's the yellow and blue that make the switch, i.e. the signal wire has to be pulled down to ground.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's the yellow and blue that make the switch, i.e. the signal wire has to be pulled down to ground.
I think the BBS switch is active high, not low.

D

Deleted member 4366

Easy enough to check. Measure the voltage on the signal wire. If it's 5v, it goes to ground. If it's 0v, it goes to the 5v.

willcee

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2018
ulster
Guys, THX..however as someone who can rewire a plug, rewire a car, old school type, but has no skill in micro electronix, i can work with a multi meter please do me a diagram of what you mean.. one of my switches has 2 pins other has 3, what do i need contact wise.. also i want to know if i don't use either brake interrupter will my motor run, and where do i get small hoods to protect the open pins on the unused higo plugs.. sorry I feel a right dork..

Last edited: