Bafang Max Drive bikes

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I still think £1100 for a motor (with accessories), battery and frame isn't a bad deal for a "kit". I'm sure some of the other bits taken off the bike will sell on ebay or elsewhere for 5€ a pop.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
BUT... the Greenaway frames are only 47 cm and I have very bad memories of trying to fit on a 47 cm frame... How is it going for you? How tall are you?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
my suspicions have been correct take a gander at this ,
.https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=85918
Cool. Kinda makes sense that the mechanics/electronics of the 250/350w models are the same with the power being limited only by the programming... although one of the sellers here did say the 48v Max Drive model is a very different animal to the 36v versions.

The post didn't say how he connected his PC to the Max Drive though (although I personally have no intention of fiddling with the parameters).

But it's good/interesting info... and helps explain the fabulous torque of our Greenway Cross bikes. There's no going back to hub-drives for me. Thanks for posting that.

EDIT for AK: I'm 5' 10" with inside leg 33" The seat height (top of seat) from the floor can be adjusted from 83cm to 102/3cm. Top of headset is 100cm from floor with a fixed stem giving another 5cm rise to bar height. At worst, an aftermarket adjustable stem would give reach/bar height adjustment.

Last edited:

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
And I'm 5'9" 73kg greenway fits me really well,
Gates have bought out a belt drive for the Bafang Max Drive too, runs with the alfine hub in the back, along with various front belt drive sizes fitting to the 104pcd spider.
Cyclebuddy our bikes have the 33 350 unit rated at 250w nominal in them too rather than the 33.250 250w max,a play on legal words for import E certification I think .
Volton bikes do the alation model with 48v and is speed Pedelec, 28mph but frame is really bendy as it's a step through,.when I've had my greenway a wee while I'll drop a 48v battery on it see what it's like and get the genuine Bafang lead and software to play a little , don't want it going pop just yet.
Oh dear mans quest for more power
Kits are available from
https://cnebikes.en.alibaba.com/product/60369326983-801238841/36v_350w_BaFang_Max_model_mid_motor_converion_parts.html
Included in kit is the frame section to weld into std frame. $500 a pop

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
that's not a bad price, most complete bikes with 48V 12AH battery go for $1,000 from Shanghai.
What's not to like with this Bafang kit?

Okay, Bosch kit is decent enough; well enough designed, and has a "name", but it's largely bull and hype. Bafang offer more torque at less cost, and none of the Bosch crap of "tied in " proprietary batteries, required servicing, and absurd costs/dongles necessary to "tweak" the standard settings.

There certainly was a time when Bosch product stood head and shoulders above the competition, but it seems to me that time is long since past. The Germans seem to be trading on past glory... the far east has not only caught up with the them, it's overtaken them by some margin - and at least the far east are now selling decently designed and manufacutured kit for sane money rather than "mugging the punter off" as Bosch seem to do.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bosch bikes are very competitively priced.
If you happen to import bikes for a living, you'd have a hard time competing on price at the moment.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Bosch bikes are very competitively priced.
If you happen to import bikes for a living, you'd have a hard time competing on price at the moment.
Says who? You may be making big money as an importer, but the bike buying punter isn't getting any of that benefit are they? Even your own web-site states you intend to raise prices on the back of the devalued £.

The cheapest Bosch mid-drive isn't anywhere near the cost of the £1000, better performing Max Drive Bafang bikes some importers are offering, are they? And the after-sale cost of running that Bosch bike long term is what... £6/7/800 for a "locked" but otherwise £3/400 Bosch battery? Add £100+ if you want to de-restrict it, when Bafang charge you nothing. And how much for an obligatory 500-mile service if you want to maintain that Bosch warranty, when Bafang offer a blanket 30 month warranty from date of manufacture?

What planet are you living on?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't know how Greenway do it for £1,000 with a 10.4AH battery.
I would have charged £1,299 for the same bike.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I don't know how Greenway do it for £1,000 with a 10.4AH battery.
I would have charged £1,299 for the same bike.
Yep me and cyclebuddy reckon it's a steal, at the price,we paid for ours, advertised poorly as mid drive not max drive,that's only reason they are still up for grabs, every other dealer that had Bafang max drive in one form or another has no stock and prices £400+ higher,
And I only paid his £8.99 for courier delivery to my door,it was there inside 24hrs from ordering! u can't post a letter for that these days.
A spare battery for the bike 36v 10.4ah Samsung only 179 sheets!
Get down there Woosh and strike a trade deal , not before I have spare battery tho!

• Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Here's the specific EBR review on the Max Drive...

Perhaps worth mentioning that the Greenway Cross that uses this same Bafang Max Drive motor - and even though it's much cheaper in comparison to the bike used in this review - is equipped with a gear shift sensor to reduce power and stop "mashing" of gears when gear changing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Get down there Woosh and strike a trade deal , not before I have spare battery tho!
I have to wait for all my main competitors to show their cards before playing my hand though.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
This firm has been producing Bafang frames in Europe (Czech)

http://gweurope.eu/new-frames/
GW are a huge Chinese based bike/e-bike company employing 4500 people. They do have EU and US offices, but the bikes are China made.

GW stands for Golden Wheel. They make bikes for Trek, amongst many others. They also make hubs and forks for several other brands (some premium brands) as well as frames, and assembly of their own and OEM brands.

From the supply codes on the Greenway Cross box my own e-bike arrived in, they also make this Greenway e-bike with this Bafang Max Drive system... they also offer a number of other frame designs for the Bafang Max Drive.

Several of their e-bike designs also use the Brose and Shimano Steps mid-drive systems, as well as 8fun hub and BBS crank drives.

The nearest similar style Trek, Scott, Cube, Raleigh etc e-bikes I can find with even a remotely similar spec to my £1000 Greenway bike seem to be around the £2000 mark... and even they may well be made by GW. Why spend more?

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
why do you think your bike is made by Golden Wheel?
don't Golden Wheel make the Totem range of e-bikes?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
why do you think your bike is made by Golden Wheel?
It's not rocket science. Enter the product codes on your product packaging, and the Greenway bike appears in TGW's 2016 product catalogue! Works (nearly) every time. I have visions of you running around your warehouse right now removing the supplier codes from your own bikes' boxes!!!
don't Golden Wheel make the Totem range of e-bikes?
They do. Among several other brands. Here is the e-totem version of this same Greenway bike...

Grrenway as e-totem.jpg

Ironically, the serial number on my own bike frame starts "MODExxxxxxx". Mode is just one of TGW's other brands. It wouldn't be hard to start an e-bike importing company, would it?

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I get them make my cartons so no danger of that.

• :D
Reactions: cyclebuddy