Bafang programming cables seem short lived

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
While changing my BB01B's firmware settings yesterday (it's been about a year since last time), I was puzzled when Bafang configurators (Penov and LunaCycle) failed to find any COM ports on computers running Windows 7 - I tried it on two PCs. Was fine on the last Win7 PC I used, but I hadn't used configurators on those particular Windows 7 PCs before, and it could have been that their Win 7 builds were too old, and lacked the required driver... so I installed the Speed app on my Lenovo M10 Plus tablet, and that worked fine, except for a weird "connection error" partyway through. This leads me to suspect, like the last one, this programming cable is on it's way out too, despite only being used about three times. It's the type with the black heatshrink covering over the USB port end. This is my second programming cable! I have a horrible feeling they're quite low quality. Now of course the worry is whether garbled comms from a failing programming cable will lead to controller failure in a few days or weeks. Time'll tell y'all, time'll tell. I have a spare controller to hand...

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I started to use the Speeed Android App on my phone, works a treat, though I did have to buy an new cable, the one I've been using for a while didn't work.