Bar Ends??

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
hi

i was thinking about fitting bar ends/bullbars to protect the control box and wiring if i have to turn the bike upside down to work on the bike.

the problem i have found is that the bar ends i have found slot onto the bar rather than fit into the end of the bar. the reason this is a problem is that with all the stuff on the handlebars at the minute including the throttle, light and everything, there isnt room so it would need to fit into the ends.

any ideas guys?

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
It used to be possible to get some that fitted in the bar ends the trouble is that they tightened by expanding a wedge inside the bars and it was difficult to get them tight enough without spreading the bars especially with aluminium bars. If you can't find any that fit in the ends you could get a local engineer to machine some plugs with an extension the same diameter as the bars that you could bond into the bars and then fasten bar ends on the extension?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
the main problem i have even with those is space.

due to the throttle, gears, lights etc, i cant really even nick a cm of space and thats why something that fixes directly into the end is the only real way i think i cane get some bars on.

i thought i would find thousands on ebay but they are all the type that fix onto instead of in.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
any other ideas guys or any other way i can protect the delicate control box, wiring etc when/if turning the bike over?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As you know I use bar ends on one bike, but for the other bike when I want to turn it upside down at home, I have a couple of hard expanded polystyrene blocks. This is the sort of packing material used around various things in transit and I've cut a V out of them and turn the bike over with the blocks supporting the grips on the handlebar ends. A couple of chunks of thick wood could substitute, or support it across two boxes or some thick books under the handlebar ends.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Are you sure you cant make space? I fitted these to my Alien last year, shuffled everything up, the space left on the r/h side is where my Cree light goes.