Bar Ends

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
They seem to have fallen out of favour in recent years. Used to see a lot of them back in the 90's, but not now, i guess its a fashion thing.
Not that i care if they're popular or not, as i'm going to get some to give me another hand position to help my arthritis.

Anyone else use em ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The ready availability since then of handlebars that cover several positions has possible affected their sales too. Also dual brake levers for each brake on some bike models.

I have used them, but only to protect the handlebar contents when I turn the bike over!

Reactions: newboater

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
It was only after recently buying a road bike with drop bars, that i realised moving to different hand positions relieves my arthritis a bit.
I thought before about bar ends on my flat bar hybrid, but as it was throttle only, i needed my hand on the grip. Now i have pedelec sensor fitted i could use bar ends now.
Tempted by these.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOUNTAIN-BMX-MTB-BIKE-CYCLE-BICYCLE-DOUBLE-LOCK-ON-LOCKING-HANDLE-BAR-GRIPS-ENDS-/221887435228?var=&hash=item0
The cheap price makes em even more tempting.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
It was only after recently buying a road bike with drop bars, that i realised moving to different hand positions relieves my arthritis a bit.
I thought before about bar ends on my flat bar hybrid, but as it was throttle only, i needed my hand on the grip. Now i have pedelec sensor fitted i could use bar ends now.
Tempted by these.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOUNTAIN-BMX-MTB-BIKE-CYCLE-BICYCLE-DOUBLE-LOCK-ON-LOCKING-HANDLE-BAR-GRIPS-ENDS-/221887435228?var=&hash=item0
Hope you're not in a rush for them - they have to come from Hong Kong!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have been looking at Ergotec EVO Touring L Bar Ends for my current steed. But I feel they are a bit wasted on this bike as I really want to move on to the larger one.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Hope you're not in a rush for them - they have to come from Hong Kong!
I order a fair bit of stuff from China, i dont mind the wait, which is usually anything from 2 to 4 weeks.
But i've just found the same ones on Ebay from a UK seller..... and they're even cheaper at £4.18 delivered.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
They're interesting, giving a slightly different angle as well as different reach and larger handgrip surface.
I like the fact they clamp on with allen screws at both ends, so the grips wont turn on the bars.
Something my current Ergon shaped grips do.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
They seem to have fallen out of favour in recent years. Used to see a lot of them back in the 90's, but not now, i guess its a fashion thing.
Not that i care if they're popular or not, as i'm going to get some to give me another hand position to help my arthritis.

Anyone else use em ?
I've used them for many years and found they gave me more hill climbing power when I used to stand on the pedals. I don't do that quite so much these days but I would always fit them, as you say they give a rest and change of position to wrists.
As Flecc says they make up-ending the bike a lot easier and safer.
I would advise getting the ones that aren't integrated into the grips or can be adjusted independently of the grips, the angle you may like for the grips may not suit the angle you like for the bar ends.

I can very strongly recommend Flexiseq for arthritis, it really is effective for myself and others I know, the relief after using for a few days is unbelievable!
Not cheap but worth it and lasts a while.
On offer at the moment from LLoyds on line.

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/flexiseq-gel-50g-twin-pack-423601

I'm quite wary of claims made for miracle treatments but this really has worked for my knees and wrist.

Dave.

Reactions: Yamdude

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have them on my un-powered bike, and I like them. In addition to previously mentioned benefits it gives you the option to stretch out when climbing.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I've used them for many years and found they gave me more hill climbing power when I used to stand on the pedals. I don't do that quite so much these days but I would always fit them, as you say they give a rest and change of position to wrists.
As Flecc says they make up-ending the bike a lot easier and safer.
I would advise getting the ones that aren't integrated into the grips or can be adjusted independently of the grips, the angle you may like for the grips may not suit the angle you like for the bar ends.

I can very strongly recommend Flexiseq for arthritis, it really is effective for myself and others I know, the relief after using for a few days is unbelievable!
Not cheap but worth it and lasts a while.
On offer at the moment from LLoyds on line.

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/flexiseq-gel-50g-twin-pack-423601

I'm quite wary of claims made for miracle treatments but this really has worked for my knees and wrist.

Dave.
Yes, i see what you're saying about them being incorporated into the grips and its something i hadn't thought about..... Ah well, i've ordered them now, so i'll just have to see what they are like when i get em next week.
Thats quite interesting about the Flexiseq and i may well give it a go. Its only my hands that are affected and its a lot worse in the left than the right. After trying lots of different treatments, including steroid injections, the one drug that has helped is the NSAID Meloxicam and i take Tramadol as well when its particularly bad. Although both these drugs only give limited relief. I'm also looking at possible surgery on the base of my left thumb, which is by far the worst area for pain.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Tempted by these.....
I too suffer from arthritis, the main reason for switching to electric bikes. It is mainly in my ankles and the electric bike as made that bearable, but the next problem was the pain in my wrists. I came across some butterfly bars and fitted them the other way to how most people fit them. The results are fantastic. I have done about 2000 miles with them and all the different positions help a lot. If you have a throttle it is a bit of a pain to fit.

Reactions: flecc

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If you have ordered the barend/grips as shown in picture above, you can adjust the grip to barend angle a fair bit.
During last year I went through a few different b-ends for the similar reasons. This year I have treking bars and no that there's no weight on my hands atall, I don't need b-ends any more.

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
I put some on my mountain bike and they make a huge difference. The change in hand/wrist position is very welcome, and they let you get into a much more aggressive position for climbing hills. They are so good I am thinking of ditching the Wisper's very nice ergo grips and fitting them to that too.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I put some on my mountain bike and they make a huge difference. The change in hand/wrist position is very welcome, and they let you get into a much more aggressive position for climbing hills. They are so good I am thinking of ditching the Wisper's very nice ergo grips and fitting them to that too.
Yeah, i've been really looking forward to fitting them and trying them out..... but they still haven't bloody turned up.
Was posted last Sat.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Finally got these bar end grips and fitted them this weekend, spose to come from UK but they were actually posted from Gibraltar......
For the cheap price i'm pretty happy with them. They're comfortable and secure on the bars, they dont slip or spin on the bars as they're clamped with allen screws at both ends of the grips.... Really can't knock £4.18 for em.

[/URL][/IMG]

Reactions: D C