Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

It was £400 yesterday which was a great price. Today £249.99 - Bargain of the decade.

VR is £200. Insane price.

Plenty of other good deals on Wiggle and CRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Would you recommend this as truly waterproof? Everything I have ends up leaving my arms and back wet in a heavy downpour.
I wear PVC trousers and similar top to the above link over a padded rain coat in the winter.
Make sure the hood is up to stop rain going down your back.
Unless you spend big money the answer is more than one rain layer. Well that's what I find

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Proper hill walking Goretex jacket keeps me dry from inside and out, no matter how heavy the rain or long the day.

There are other breathable materials, I have not used any in jacket form so cannot vouch for them. Trousers I use any mountaineering over trousers that claim to be breathable, as less important on the legs.

Nowhere near £14.99, I'm afraid, but useful off the bike as well and last for several years. Typically £80 jacket, £40 trousers by shopping around and using sales.

• Agree
Reactions: Az.

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Proper hill walking Goretex jacket keeps me dry from inside and out, no matter how heavy the rain or long the day.

There are other breathable materials, I have not used any in jacket form so cannot vouch for them. Trousers I use any mountaineering over trousers that claim to be breathable, as less important on the legs.

Nowhere near £14.99, I'm afraid, but useful off the bike as well and last for several years. Typically £80 jacket, £40 trousers by shopping around and using sales.
I have bought one anyway. From my research it is very much not breathable, which makes it more likely to be waterproof in my mind. Hopefully, with airflow it will remove moisture compared to those that bought for work on a building site. I will have to try not to sweat too much.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have bought one anyway. From my research it is very much not breathable, which makes it more likely to be waterproof in my mind. Hopefully, with airflow it will remove moisture compared to those that bought for work on a building site. I will have to try not to sweat too much.
In the summer I've noticed there's only so much sweat Gore-tex can exhale. In the winter, it's important to keep warm when you stop cycling/chopping wood/reading energy bills - wool insulates even when soaked through.

Gore-tex really lasts, even if the seams don't (these can be retaped), so I'd expect second-hand Gore-tex jackets to be ok, if they haven't been washed incorrectly. Layers can separate and taped seams can become leaky with wrong detergent and washing - that happened once, I've avoided washing my Gore-tex jackets etc. ever since.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Gore-tex really lasts, even if the seams don't (these can be retaped), so I'd expect second-hand Gore-tex jackets to be ok, if they haven't been washed incorrectly. Layers can separate and taped seams can become leaky with wrong detergent and washing - that happened once, I've avoided washing my Gore-tex jackets etc. ever since.
So ... buying a second hand Goretex jacket is pretty much like buying a second hand ebike battery. Chances are it will be fine, but there's lots that might have gone wrong.

Reactions: matthewslack

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
My wiggle and chain reaction sale purchases are starting to be flung in the general direction of my address and I learnt something about Shimano 4 pot brakes....

Couldn't work out why there are two separate listings for m6120 on wiggle at markedly different prices...until my ebay auction one and my wiggle one arrived. The difference seems to be the Deore shiny finish and branding, and a matt finish on the lower cost one. Same underlying product.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I found the same with the M6120 brake levers , just a different finish.
I upgraded both the Road rat and the Ute with a front M1620 calliper and both bikes with a pair of matching levers, the rear brake calliper remained as a 2 pot shimano.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are any of these refurbished Rad Power bikes bargains?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Are any of these refurbished Rad Power bikes bargains?

Bikes illegal in UK.
I like semi professional photography. They made some effort there.

Prices are not bad, but I wouldn't buy from them.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Cheap to be sure and for someone starting off and not knowing what to get it is probably ideal.

But that thing was never £2500.

Im not dissing it, I would spend that on a set of brakes, or a fork and considerably more on a bit of woodworking machinery without thinking twice, and i was actually tempted for 20 seconds as a run around to go into the city center and be happy to be away from it for a number of hours.

A quick google puts its real original price at £999, so 1/2 price and a bargain deal for what it is.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
That looks an absolute bargain

Bafang h400 rear hub motor
Tektro hydraulic brakes 180mm rotors
Torque sensor
All the accessories, mudguards, kickstand, pannier rack
Not idea about the automatic gears, is this a good thing ?
Also belt drive ? Does that work ok ?
20kg
I would possibly like a bigger battery, but that is easily sorted
Even the tyres are good quality