Batribike Trike - NO FUSE!

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Hi all, I’ve just taken delivery of my wife’s Chrissy present, a used Batribike Trike 20, its previous owner claims it had new cells during his ownership....
As one does with all new acquisitions I set about giving it a good clean - and in the process removing its battery to clean it.
Examining the battery it was evident that the screwed case cover was/is sealed on each side with an authentic looking silver ‘Batribike’ anti-tamper seal, all well and good - but on one side where the fuse should be - a rubber plug is fitted removal of which shows an empty hole where a fuse once existed. The battery slides into a slotted carrier fixed centrally above the non-existant rear wheel position, in fact the same position and battery type as my BB Quartz bike (which DOES have a 35a fuse at the said location.

Quite obviously to fit such fuse (IF A SUITABLE HOLDER COULD BE OBTAINED) the Anti-tamper seals would need to be broken, not that it would be important as the age of the trike is 2013 or thereabout.
From looking inside my Quartz battery I can see that there is very little room to fit anything but the correct part which may be difficult to obtain as the Trikes are no longer made so any spare part could be a potential problem.
Suggestions please? Come back Maplin!

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You may find that one has an internal inline fuse, it wouldn't be the first to do that, like number 6 below:

battop2.jpg

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Flecc, Thanks, you may be right, when I get the lid off we’ll see, looking on the web I’ve found just the right fuse holder from Cricklewood Electronics - part no. FU20P @ .55p ea.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 128

If the trike works OK I'd assume the fuse was internal and not bother opening up the case to find out.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Well my curiosity won, I opened up the box to find the fuse had been removed - which to me is dangerious, the ordered fuse holder duly arrived and was fitted, next day the pack of 10 x 30 amp glass cartridge fuses arrived so we’re back on the road so to speak.

Jim

Attachments

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Pete, That was the purpose of fitting the fuse to the + leg of the output (as copied from my other Batribike battery).

Jim